My brand new built trans in leaking!!!

Grumpy said:
So I take it ya haven't fixed this simple problem yet:confused: Just take the tranny out.. Then send it back along with the converter to get a simple fix done that you obviously don't want to get involved with.
I was suppose to fix it yesterday but could not get ahold of the flatbed to bring it to the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Sounds like the converter is leaking but if you really want to do a simple test get some uv dye for the tranny. Clean up the drips and add the dye. You'll see the leak clearly.

if you really want to do a simple test get some uv dye for the tranny. Clean up the drips and add the dye. You'll see the leak clearly.

Dye isn't going to help pin point it in this instance, the fluid is being slung around by the converter.

The leak is either from the input seal or the welds on the converter, either way the trans should come out for repair of the leak.

Once out of the car clean the weld on the converter with brake clean and look for pin holes [porosity].

If you still don't see any porosity , lightly sand the weld until it is a shiny [clean metal] and look again, as a last resort pressure test to find the leak and then have someone grind out the porosity and tig weld it where the leak is.

When I pulled converter this small piece of plastic was sitting inside trans on input seal I'm going to replace seal. Converter is fine. Does everyone agree that this is going to fix it?

The 2nd question is where did it come from?!!

Attachments

• image-1338195563.jpg
    image-1338195563.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1988656552.jpg
    image-1988656552.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 177
That's not it. Replace the converter with another one to prove its your converter.

When I pulled converter this small piece of plastic was sitting inside trans on input seal I'm going to replace seal. Converter is fine. Does everyone agree that this is going to fix it?

The 2nd question is where did it come from?!!

That's good news. Was it damaged when the convert went on or was it defective?

I'm not sure at the moment. It's in the garage right now. Ill post up a pic of it tomorrow and u guys can be the judge

I had the same problem as your having, seems dry behind the convertor but dripping wet in other places.
it was coming from the vent tube, i cut a small hole in the tunnel and used vacuum hose to slip on the tube.
i had the other end in a bottle in the car and high rpm's it would come out the hose. maybe 2 ounces on a 1/4 mile pass. too much for me on what was to be a street strip HP trans costing 3k+. I sent it back.
My thinking is the trans is overbuilt for the street, maybe try a lower level with out so much line pressure. Lonnie is a good guy!