my 80 regal limited

well picked up my moser axles at the post office on friday sunday i was out at th shop with my new parts slapped some epoxy primer on the inner tierods now im hopin charlie gets my stuff shipped today :D

im considering dropping the iron heads and going for either a TA performance head or champion gn1 alu head any ideas/suggestions?

if you really want the most from the aluminum heads you know the answer.......... :D

otherwise, the cast iron will be better for the level your at.

Talk to fuzzy, he just built an NA motor with aluminum heads, ask him about the heads and compression.

yeah yeah i know get a turbo but i dont wanna :confused:

or add a crap load of compression.......... the iron heads will retain heat better than the aluminum ones will.

but you can get away with an extra full point of compression with aluminum heads........ hint hint......

well i cant really go crazy with compression either it is going to be street driven on max 98 octane pump gas but you mean i can go with higher compression with a alu head? im not really looking to get extreme power 350 hp is just fine im just thinkin its easyer to achieve with the alu heads sure its 1800 bucks for parts only but ill probably lookin at 2400 after shipping and that

Found the thread. If you can get 98 octane you should go for about 10.5 or 11 to 1 with aluminum heads. Really with 98 go with the 11 to 1. I haven't read the whole thread but even with a stroked 4.1 with mild compression 350 HP isn't exactly easy to get to. I will hopefully get that but I have some MAJOR parts in my engine. To give an idea, the converter is rated at 5200 stall! I will read the thread and post more later.

T
Found the thread. If you can get 98 octane you should go for about 10.5 or 11 to 1 with aluminum heads. Really with 98 go with the 11 to 1. I haven't read the whole thread but even with a stroked 4.1 with mild compression 350 HP isn't exactly easy to get to. I will hopefully get that but I have some MAJOR parts in my engine. To give an idea, the converter is rated at 5200 stall! I will read the thread and post more later.

Thank you! your a Scholar and a Gentleman!

now you see what ive been saying?

Think of it this way. How much do you have to put into a 350 Chevy to get 450 HP? (about the same HP/CI) It can be done but not too cheap. Making over 1 HP per CI takes careful planning. All this talk about getting off the shelf pistons and such is right out. Port the stock steel heads, get a decent cam, and get about 11 to 1 pistons. Anything short of that and it will be no where close to 300 HP in my opinion.

well its gonna have to be custom pistons OR ive seen a guy who took dished pistons filled in the dish with a tig welder and a buncha rods but i dont know if thats the best idea

well after some good advice from both the mad scientist and another one (charlief1) ive got two option either alu heads that will cost me probably 2400 bucks with shipping and all that OR some 1987 and up FWD heads that charlie says will boost compression this si a cheaper option but i first have to find those heads

i dont know enough about the series 2 heads to say what the benifits are.......... but if there cast iron - its not going to help with the compression situation. aluminum heads are going to be expensive.... very... compression is going to be hard to get..... just the nature of the beast!

I think you should really evaluate the situation... your shooting for NA power in a 3600lb car... this is one hell of a challange. Fuzzy has a real chance to do some damage, but he weighs the same as I .... 2300lbs makes a huge difference.

I just really think to do what your wanting, its going to take a Stage II in its circle track form. those made 450-500hp NA. save your pennys, 10-15 grand has you a built example.

All I know, is that my cousin Erik - built exactly like your wanting, huge ported heads- 10.5-1 compression, custom cam, edelbrock intake, 83 regal, Gneric built 200, posi rear, goodies and goodies........... and its a complete dog.... he has never hated a buick more since.

im just saying, before you drop alot of money on all these parts to really think about it... once the parts are bought your committed to the grind, and I dont want you to be as dissapointed as my cousin was... as he may never return to buick land.

We were getting some serious rain last night and the phone didn't want to work.:mad: I'll see about calling you tonight Aj.;)