motor locked up

yeah ive tried that now im looking at probably pulling both together and cutting bellhousing off then replacing it with a jw sfi approved bolt on bellhousing. needs to be done anyway.

Unless something is bent badly in the front of the trans, pulling the tranny rearward about 6" - 8" should allow it to come free of the converter (converter will stay on the flywheel). Very inconvenient with the fluid bath and all, but the only way to do it. After trans removal, you'll be able to get to the remaining TC bolts... Been there, done that!

well i went to commerce today for nhra southern nationals and talked to JW and was told i'll have to cut bell housing and probably have to replace forward drum.

Oh well at least it wasn't the motor.

I've been able to turn siezed engines a couple of times by clamping a 10" Vise-Grips to the flexplate and pushing the
pliers with my foot. BTW, I taped the handles together so
they wouldn't release. Make sure the car has a LOT of support
if you choose to try this method.

Originally posted by gnxis
well i went to commerce today for nhra southern nationals and talked to JW and was told i'll have to cut bell housing and probably have to replace forward drum.

Oh well at least it wasn't the motor.

Man, that's bad advice! I'd never do that. Pull the motor/trans as a unit, then follow the above advice.

Wow, what a nightmare!

I'll be interested to hear what happened. Here's a BUMP for ya.

thanks for all the response guys i'm going to pull motor and trans this week if i can ever get home before 8:00. i may have to wait till after nats. i'll keep you posted on outcome.

thanks again

"well i went to commerce today for nhra southern nationals"

I went on Friday, got to hang out in the Hertz box and enjoy the air conditioning. Nothing like those 6000+ hp top fuelers.

Any chance you could fit a port a power (sp?) in between the converter and transmission?

can you slide the trans back at all? if so, how far? if you can slide it back, have you tried to turn the engine with it slid back? i've pulled tranys with the internals welded together from being smoked so bad, and still been able to turn the engine to get the convertor bolts out. this may be a long shot, but you may be able to get to at least 2 of the convertor bolts. pull the crossover pipe to give you a little more room. break the two bolts that you can get to. jam a big pair of vise grips on the flywheel. with only one bolt remaining, it should flex enough to give you a c.u.n.t hair of movement. a little less aggressive than cutting the bellhousing!! if you still can't move anything, then the motor's probably locked up, unless you have arms like olive oil! btw, did you pull ALL of the plugs? even one cylinder that's hydrolocked won't budge at all. good luck and let me know how you make out.

yeah i pulled all 6 and valve covers to check for bent valves and i'm almost positive its not motor. the guys at JW transmissons said it sounded to them like converter was locked into front pump.
when i pulled dipstick tube out of tranny literally 3 qts poured out of tranny. that tells me all of the fluid in converter was dumped into tranny. when you pull tube minimal fluid loss should occur.

the other problem is converter bolts dont thread into converter they are bolted with nuts and bolts and lock washers and lok-tite.
the only other way to unbolt tc is to use a hole saw to drill holes where bolts are to get them off, then i'll have to cut off bell housing anyway and replace with lightweight JW bellhousing.

i'm 36 and have been doing my own mechanical work since i was 15 so i'm pretty good at it and i'm 99 % certain that its a tranny prob.

now on the other side i will open bottom end and check bearing just to make sure everythings ok and probably go ahead and change mains.

i'll keep you guys posted on my progress this week hopefull i'll get alot accomplished before i go to bowling green.

PS.i wasent lucky enough to be in the tower but i did get to hang out with the owner of berryman and corey mac and got to eat with corey mac and the crew (awesome steak and lobster).

by the way any of you guys going to the nats this weekend?
look me up i'll be with a friend with a white covered trailer with henrys hardware on the side in bright red letters.

just ask for Doug.

get a torch or plasma cutter and cut two of the nut/bolt assy's off, then throw the vise grips on and rock back and forth like hell to break the third one! just trying to think of any flat rate special way of helping out that i can. i'll be 36 in august and have been flat rate wrenching for 14 years, working on cars for 20. i don't pay anyone for anything, except for good advice! jack of all, master of none!! ;)