motor locked up

gnxis

first off its a brand new motor, I made 1 pass ran realy lean 722o2s, turned fuel to 42 line off.20# boost so i turned it down 2 full turns,car ran 7.96 1.69 60' i was taking it easy on new motor shifting at 4500 rpm.now the problem drove to staging lanes after cooldown car was idling fine 800 rpm, water temp was 165,oil pressure was28 lbs,then car dies.I tried to start with jump box, nothing, so i tow it out to pits use battery charger,still nothing.notice crank pulley isnt moving.ive tried to turn with breaker bar no way its locked down tight.
It just died, no noise, no shutter, nothing to indicate a problem.
so what happened??

My friend's 84 T-type siezed up in a similar way.We couldn't turn the crank with a 4' pipe on a breaker bar.Then we pulled the pan and caps,the rod bearings were shot.One rod bearing worked itself around the crank and doubled up with the other half a bearing.That's why his crank wouldn't budge.Hopefully your problems aren't that bad.Good Luck

as i said i tried with a breaker bar its locked up tight.
i hope its not a bearing its a fresh 109 girdled. the oil pressure was too good at the time it quit to be bearing wouldnt you think? (28 psi)

First, take your belt off and see if it will turn. That will eliminate the accessories. You can check for metal in your oil, and inspect the converter bolts you can see. From there, you will have to remove the oil pan if you can get it off w/ the girdle. I hope it is not too bad.

I just realized your not too far from me. BTW, if it is valve train related, the crank will move ever so slightly. If it wont budge, it is in the crank or trans somewhere.

oil looks good, funny you said trans the converter is unknown and felt a little strange when it was locked in when i spun it. it felt like it was binding slightly not spinning smoothly.
it seems to shift smoothly through all gears with the car not running and park works and i can take it out of gear and push it no problem.
Any chance its the converter?

It is possible it could be the converter/trans. I was watching a guy rev up his engine in park and suddenly, there was a terrible noise and his engine locked up tight. We looked under his truck and there were parts lying on the ground in a pool of oil. It was almost dark, but looking closer it was the transmission. Everyone else got a laugh except him. You said yours did not make a noise. You can loosen the transmission to test it. Sounds like you are going to have to bite the bullet and start taking things apart. Who built your engine?

Is it hydro loc? Pull a few plugs and see.

1 grooms did short block i did top end
2 already pulled plugs,they looked fine
i'll pull trans tomorrow evening then i guess i'll try front cover to see if its maybe timing chain broke and wedged between front cover and crank. just guessing at this point.
keep up the ideas i 'll try every thing i can to not have to pull engine again.

Do you have a dial indicator w/ magnetic base. Try and move the harmonic balancer forward and backward. You should still have the thrust movement unless it is a main bearing. If it were a rod bearing or the trans, it will most likely still thrust forward and backward.

ok i finally had time tonight to pull tranny to see if the prob was converter. well every thing is unbolted but tranny wont budge away from back of motor i've tried pry bar big screw driver, moving tranny back and forth and up and down it wont budge i guess ill have to pull motor and tranny together to get them apart.

any body got any other ideas?

it has to be converter or input shaft right?

Do you have the converter unbolted from the flexplate?

If you have all the trans bolts out and the converter bolts out, it should come apart.

:confused: :confused:

I forgot that it was stuck.

Well, the coverter have to be rotated while it is being installed into the transmission. You arn't going to be able to just pull it strait out.

I am sure someone here will have a suggestion.

Me personally if it is stuck that bad, I would just pull the whole motor and transout. Or maby try taking the front cover off while it is in the car to access the situation a little more.

Scott

the converter will just pull off the input shaft it dosent lock in. it just clicks into tranny untill it goes in far enough to catch splines but it will just pull off. mine wont however hence the problem i'm having but thanks for trying.

anybody else??????

This is a tough one. At the risk of damaging your flywheel, you may want to try and rotate the engine with a very large and strong screwdriver/pry bar by prying on the flexplate starter ring. You should be able to get just a small bite and pry. You need to inspect your thrust bearing once you get them apart.