Motor blown!

T

turbov6joe

Seems that my good luck with the new finally ran out last night at the track. About half way down the track, something in the department of a gasket let go and I smoked the area for bugs! Odd thing is that the oil looks great, the coolant did not go down in either the radiator or the resevoir, and the motor is not knocking. I think I popped a headgasket(s) into the intake or an oil galley, as there was mass quantities of oil all over the fender well on the PS and a minor amount on the DS, both sides leaking from the breathers. So, now I have to scramble to replace both gaskets and verify no engine damage before BG:( Any other opinions as to what might have happened??? TIA

I'd say you pretty much got it nailed down...You most likely blew it into the lifter valley...

You have o-ringed heads or block, right??? hmmm...do a compression test to find the dead cyl(s)...You will probably be okay with just the head gasket change, as long as that was all it was...I'm assuming you trailered it there and back, so no miles were put on it after the incident???

Sucks the big one, doesn't it!!! I'm in the middle of doing a cam change on the 85(wiped lobe) and finally getting the 87 T done, along with a re-ring of the 455 in the 66 when one of the others is finished and running...

Good luck and hopefully it was just the head lifted and pushed the gasket out and no damage with yours...

Hopefully I'll be able to get to BG this year...I will probably end up doing the same thing like I did last year...Drive down Friday and roadtrip back with you guys on Sunday...Talk to ya later...

yeah jim, just make sure you car doesnt break down on the way back again this year ;) :D
hehe-- remember i landed my magical hands on your car and VAAARRROOOOMMM she started and ran all the way home approx 200 or so miles :)

JOEY!!!
we both know what your problem was-- it must have been those sh!tty plug wires you were running the last few months popping down the track is what did the tole on your head gaskets-
remember the oil starting to blow out the pass side vent tube?? we were right, it WAS the head gasket starting to push out into the intake tract-
and it finally went after what 10 passes down the track?
you got a scanmaster on it??
i can let you borrow the scanbastard and d.s. for bowling green this year-- i WONT be racing--
if you cant get head gaskets ASAP i have a set of GM gaskets sitting on the shelf for 6months--- seems i cant get a head gasket to blow out on any of my cars :D :p

Wait'll you guys see the NA head gasket I popped on my motor that used to be in the 85GN before I built the one in there now!!!

Pop really doesn't describe it...More like burn through, yeah, that pretty much describes it!!! :eek:

NOTE TO ALL TURBO BUICK ENGINE BUILDERS-----Do not use NA headgaskets, specifically the Felpro 8723pt's...They don't like boost!!!

You talking about the ones from the NATS last year??? What was it, like 5 out of 6 cyls blown??? :eek:

Five were definately blown. The sixth was very close to having come apart but was still intact.

This is what happens when your cylinder heads are warped.:rolleyes: Not a wise thing to do.

Bryan, I agree with you 101%,it was those flipp'n POS Taylor wires that were causing me all the "popping"problems!! I know that a few of those violent pops had to have lifted the heads and ate away at the gaskets; even with the O ringed block. When I pulled the plugs, #6 was drenched in oil, and the rest looked good. I'm going to run a compression test for the hell of it, just to see what kind of #'s I see??? BTW, I'll take those OE headgaskets you have. I'd rather not have wait for Larry to order them for me. BTW, I'll be pulling ther heads off Monday, I'll call your cell and let you know what I find:( I'm hoping the gaskets were all the more damage I'll find. Do you know if anyone else sells TCC solenoids other than GM?