Monster 5" DP from DLS

Ha Ha Ha !!! Do you recognize the difference between thinking and engineering? Its the DESIGN i am talking about, RJC ENGINEERED IT and built it, there is a difference. RJC spent the time to draw the blue print, wrote the program, and did the setup in his CNC machine! He didn't buy it and send it out to be copied:)

X2!

I'm an engineer so I can relate. Unfortunately, if it's not patented there's not much that can be done.

T/A headers were patent pending when the design was copied. I know because I ordered a set of genuine T/A headers for my car and there was a patent note in the box.

Didn't take long for those copies to dry up did it? Good for Nick and T/A!

I think that Jasons downpipe and adapter for the 3 bolt is really cool. i made a downpipe that was 5 inch then necked down to 4 inch that cleared the ac box (barely) way back in 2001! It did pick the car up over my 3 inch pipe that I had at the time by about 2 tenths and 2 mph. Not bad for a downpipe. Shortly after that there was a rule in place that said a downpipe could be 5 inch as long as it necked down to 4 inch right after the bend. It was known as the "Dave Fiscus" rule.

Dave Fiscus

I think that Jasons downpipe and adapter for the 3 bolt is really cool. i made a downpipe that was 5 inch then necked down to 4 inch that cleared the ac box (barely) way back in 2001! It did pick the car up over my 3 inch pipe that I had at the time by about 2 tenths and 2 mph. Not bad for a downpipe. Shortly after that there was a rule in place that said a downpipe could be 5 inch as long as it necked down to 4 inch right after the bend. It was known as the "Dave Fiscus" rule.

Dave Fiscus
I hear there COULD quite possibly be a new "Dave Fiscus Rule" coming up:rolleyes:

The other question i had was,Is the 5" adaptor in the pic Jasons?
maybe he hooked the DLS pipe to one of Jason's?
Or does the pipe come with one?

Here is the prototype DP i was paid to make over a year ago.. I didn't send anything to CHINA and im not the one selling these..

IMG_2174.jpg

a_DPcomparo4-2.jpg

I hate to say it, but for being a copy of the RJC product it sure does look much better. Other than the trick flange, the RJC piece looks like it was built from leftover pieces from a big rig exhaust.

I've seen downpipes change since the mid 90's, starting with BG, Terry Houston, etc. Let's be happy that they're evolving.

I predict in the near future other people will use Phil's 5"/4" funnel style reducer and sell it under their own name.

Any bets?

What has me scratching my head is the use of a 5" downpipe with the stock style internal wastegate. If you are flowing enough exhaust to need a 5" downpipe shouldn't you be using an external wastegate?

It's just that the 5" of unrestrained pipe looks bitchin. The more inches the better.

Good question though, Nasty Wendy.

a_DPcomparo4-2.jpg

I hate to say it, but for being a copy of the RJC product it sure does look much better. Other than the trick flange, the RJC piece looks like it was built from leftover pieces from a big rig exhaust.

I've seen downpipes change since the mid 90's, starting with BG, Terry Houston, etc. Let's be happy that they're evolving.

I predict in the near future other people will use Phil's 5"/4" funnel style reducer and sell it under their own name.

Any bets?

It is built out of extra pieces of pipe as it is " IN DEVELOPMENT". I wouldn't go out and make a crate full of these if I didn't know if people were going to buy it. The pipes in the picture are used to show you how Jason was thinking about making the final product. It's clearly noted on the web site.

X2!

I'm an engineer so I can relate. Unfortunately, if it's not patented there's not much that can be done.

T/A headers were patent pending when the design was copied. I know because I ordered a set of genuine T/A headers for my car and there was a patent note in the box.

Didn't take long for those copies to dry up did it? Good for Nick and T/A!

DING DING DING!! Intellectual property! If you don't want someone to copy and sell it, file for the correct patent protection!

Did Jason invent the following ?

steel shim head gaskets
FMIC
Alum. pullys
pop valve boost controlers

Or were they originally someone elses ideas ?

Dont get me wrong, Its good to have vendors building products for our cars, but 1/2 of his products are versions of other companys ideas.

So how is this 5" pipe any different.