Mitsubishi Evo IX

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
What do you guys knows about Evo's? Other then the fact they are ricers.....:)

Anyone here ever own one or ridden in a fast one? What are the pros and cons to these cars aside from not looking so great. I know they are light but what do guys think of them? Just curious thanx

They are not the most comfortable for trips and respond well to mods are tough and drink gas.

Freind has one with built stroker motor and it moves out

They are race oriented

I would have one!!

my son has an evo 8 thats scary fast, a drove it for a week while truck was in the shop it has an upgraded turbo and cams, i was on freeway entrance one day and accelerated to go around a truck that wouldn't get over and it was crazy i was at 140 and still pullin hard i may get one for track days for myself.

so how do they handle? I know guys put the high end coil overs on them with upgraded sway bars but what would they compare to? Meaning, as far as how they ride and how well they handle around a track.

I see some of them with crazy MPH running low 10's.

How much do they weigh?

They seem to be quite popular and cost a chit load of money new. Wern't they like $35k new? They dont seem to last long in the for sale sections on sites that sell them. Are they really that desirable?

They seem to be quite popular and cost a chit load of money new. Wern't they like $35k new? They dont seem to last long in the for sale sections on sites that sell them. Are they really that desirable?

Very popular

Yes around $35K new

Yes they are very desirable where I'm from (SoCal), they get a lot of attention (aka: chicks dig them)

You said they don't look great - I think they are good-looking cars (the EVO X - the EVO IX not as much)

They are not very comfortable (they come with Recaro bucket seats from the factory, and a firm suspension)

They can go off-road (they were designed as rally cars - you can select street, dirt, or ice mode)

I'm not sure I'd buy one just because of the image of owning one (I've always been partial to muscle cars personally.) But as far as bang for the buck I think there are only a handful of cars that match it for overall performance. They're obviously built for handling, but can be made scary fast in a straight line pretty easily. They respond well to mods, are very tunable, and not very expensive to upgrade compared to our cars. Frankly, they are badass - and they are a far cry from the typical "ricer" car we all like to bash on. I regard modded EVOs as some of the only competition I encounter on the street.

Are you thinking about getting one Brett? (DO IT!!!)

ditto what vampire said, my sons suspension was stock but is handles really well. we bought his used it had cam and intercoller upgrade on it right under 20k for it. they make good track cars from what i've seen. mt wife had a 2010 gts that handles almost as good i dont like the paddle shifters thou.

Very popular

Yes around $35K new

Yes they are very desirable where I'm from (SoCal), they get a lot of attention (aka: chicks dig them)

You said they don't look great - I think they are good-looking cars (the EVO X - the EVO IX not as much)

They are not very comfortable (they come with Recaro bucket seats from the factory, and a firm suspension)

They can go off-road (they were designed as rally cars - you can select street, dirt, or ice mode)

I'm not sure I'd buy one just because of the image of owning one (I've always been partial to muscle cars personally.) But as far as bang for the buck I think there are only a handful of cars that match it for overall performance. They're obviously built for handling, but can be made scary fast in a straight line pretty easily. They respond well to mods, are very tunable, and not very expensive to upgrade compared to our cars. Frankly, they are badass - and they are a far cry from the typical "ricer" car we all like to bash on. I regard modded EVOs as some of the only competition I encounter on the street.

Are you thinking about getting one Brett? (DO IT!!!)
actually, I like the way they look. I was just being sarcastic. they have grown on me over the last year or so. its one of those cars that people either really like or dislike. kinda like a TR:).

chicks do seem to dig em and yea im not sure I would put them in the class of other ricers especially since they aint cheap. their blocks seem to hold quite a bit of power and guys run big boost with these which I guess u have to to make any good power only being a 4 banger.

I guess handling well means u give up a little ride comfort.

I seen on the forums that they weigh in about 3100 lbs. with lighter wheels, hood and trunk lid. a 3100 lb TR would be a gutted shell. im not so sure about being cheaper to modify tho.

I seen a couple on the Mits forum and a Carbonetic triple-disc clutch clutch alone is $3k:eek:. Coilovers are between $2-3k. tranny upgrades, turbo, FMIC, alky, boost controllers, waste gates, pistons, rods, etc..... all the same crap u need in a TR to go fast.

I think if one decides to heavily modify one ur gonna be spending as much as one would modifying a TR. BUT, it will likely hold its value much better and be much easier to sell if u get bored with it and considering they are AWD and a rally car like u said so they can be used in the snow as well I guess.

so im keeping my options option. I like anything fast and dont really hate on imports. if I could afford a well built Supra at $50k id buy one in a heartbeat.:cool:

If you like it then get it, but not sure I buy into the 3100lbs for a 4 door AWD with options with those basic fiberglass mods.

You don't need a Exedy Triple Disc clutch unless you're putting out 600+, duals have been 500's all day long with the proper install and pedal adjustment.

If you get one, find a quality shop that knows Evo's and don't buy into the stroker motor deal until yours is toasted. I know a few Evo owners that got talked into literally swapping newish engines for no reason.

The blue ones always catch my eye personally.

Although not a problem for me they are kinda plain in the interior department and have a purpose built feel to them. They ride rough but, drive awesome. I'm not a fan of the paddles and though the paddles are quicker I prefer an actual gear shift. As a rally car and in exclusivety they kick a$$ and trump the STI, whereas the STI is a more comfortable daily driver.

Buy one, mod it and then sell it, just like you do with TRs :rolleyes:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
na, if im gonna buy something its gonna be a finished car this time. or I could take mine to the track three times a year like you for a total of 26 seconds of seat time.....:rolleyes::biggrin:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15l3nTLmhE[/YOUTUBE]

:eek::eek::eek::cool: I always liked this one

^ I know Mike and his Evo hit 237.6 MPH in 2010, it was bested by Twin Turbo Firebird that cranked out a 241mph for the record. I like the look of the IX or X though personally.

Scott that looked like a great run too, not sure if having video of it helps or hurts when you see it. :(

Evo's are all pretty fast, but they probably need colossal, insane amounts of boost to be that way. I'd rather have a v6 and only need moderate boost levels and even be able to make good power naturally-aspirated.;) How much boost did that Evo need to run 237 mph anyway? I'm just curious.