Mike Bamfords DLS powered turbo LSx project

S2V6RACER

Banned
I Stopped down at the shop today to check out the mock up progress of Mike Bamfords T-Type. Dan at DLS provided the mock up block/heads/intake. The Ford Motorsport headers will be on the way down to Diamond Fabrication for flange modification and v-band connectors.

The engine at work for Mike is going to be a DLS built LS2 based engine that will be used for street driving and street racing and will retain the power steering. It will have a Precision GT 47/88-H turbo with a Paul Thompson intercooler, Big Stuff 3 fuel management with Coil on Plug and torque management. Sorry about the picture quality.

lsxmockuppic1wc2.jpg

headersic8.jpg

Now that sounds and looks like a cool project.
Thanks for sharing.
I am looking forward to see the turbo plumbing with
the FMS Headers.

Cool! Gotta love the intercooler:cool: :biggrin:

Whats up the Ford headers?

Can't wait to see this beast done!!!!

Cool! Gotta love the intercooler:cool: :biggrin:

Whats up the Ford headers?

Can't wait to see this beast done!!!!

Shane, thanks to your board, there was a discussion about the Ford headers sharing the same center to center distance as the LSx does so Mike bought a set of ebay(lol). Those headers cost just a little over $200.00, they have rectangle ports and the LSx has round, so Diamond is going to cut off the flanges and work the tubing and he has waterjet cut LSx flanges he is going to weld back on. If you notice the header tubes come way out then make their transitions, so it is going to get tightened up a little in the meanwhile. We put a gasket up to them down at the shop and it is true they do line up. He figures he will have less than $600 in the headers complete up to the turbo. :cool: The turbo will be TSO legal in the stock orientation also.

I have heard of a guy going 7.8x with a LS2 with the truck manifolds. We played around with them a little first but found that there is some headache involved with them, then fell into this cheap fix. :biggrin:

Paul's Thompsons intercoolers are a work of art and his talent is amazing. I am happy to have him as a friend and part of our team.

Shane, thanks to your board, there was a discussion about the Ford headers sharing the same center to center distance as the LSx does so Mike bought a set of ebay(lol). Those headers cost just a little over $200.00, they have rectangle ports and the LSx has round, so Diamond is going to cut off the flanges and work the tubing and he has waterjet cut LSx flanges he is going to weld back on. If you notice the header tubes come way out then make their transitions, so it is going to get tightened up a little in the meanwhile. We put a gasket up to them down at the shop and it is true they do line up. He figures he will have less than $600 in the headers complete up to the turbo. :cool: The turbo will be TSO legal in the stock orientation also.

I have heard of a guy going 7.8x with a LS2 with the truck manifolds. We played around with them a little first but found that there is some headache involved with them, then fell into this cheap fix. :biggrin:

Paul's Thompsons intercoolers are a work of art and his talent is amazing. I am happy to have him as a friend and part of our team.

I knew we were good for something:biggrin:

And you are right about Paul's work!!!!!!

Caddy CTV-S manifolds looks like they might work ok on a g-body there a guy on LS1 tech who is using them on his 79 camaro build.Iwas going to try to score some used ones but if you can get everything done up to the turbo for $600 or less where do I send my money! I bet if they did 10 sets of them they would sell real quick!

The Ford headers are SS, the same grade as the stock GN headers from what I'm told. They will be putting on V-bands.

I will have some pics soon. I should be going back down to the shop after the new year to do some tuning on a customers car.

Some progress pictures taken while down at the annual big winter BBQ party. The LS2 is coming along very nicely down at DLS. The intercooler is the latest version (Bar and Plate) Paul Thompson piece. It uses cast 90's and we decided to use V-band outlets there.

ls1turbo1kg6.jpg

ls1turbo2wv5.jpg

my.php

ls1turbo4br3.jpg

ls1turbo5xs6.jpg

ls1turbo7yd0.jpg

ls1turbo5na2.jpg

I absolutely love this thing.
Thanks for sharing, this will be a sick ride for sure!!!

I like it . I was looking at the new wilson intake today that sucker would look sweet .How of a turbo.

Attachments

• detail_8_billet-bank-manifold.jpg
    detail_8_billet-bank-manifold.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 5,110
Stopped down to the shop and took a couple more pictures. Here are some pics of the custom Ram air setup.

lsxramair1dd4.jpg

lsxramair2ga0.jpg

Here are some better pics of the driver/passenger header setup on the car. Note the Ford Racing on the drivers header. :eek: ;)

lsxturbo1iy3.jpg

lsxturbo2cc5.jpg

Looks great guys, looking forward to seeing that car out. I run those same headers, but mine is a Ford. That turbo doesn't look like the gt47-88 that I run. You probably know this but if it is gt47-88, you might want to keep the motor as small as possible. it works great on my car, 348cid, but I know of a car we tried it on that was over 400cid and it didn't work very well.