methanol/water mixing?

BLOWNic

I'm curious to what people are running for mix ratios, if at all. I've been doing lots of reading on the topic and I am wondering what turbo Buick owners find works best for our application. I've also been talking to lots of people with turbo sleds and they all have the best luck with winter windshield washer fluid. One other question, can any chemists out there tell me the difference between methanol and methyl-hydrate or if there is even a difference? Thanks to everyone. I'm always impressed by the volume of knowledge/resources on this site.

in US we call it methanol in canada its labeled methyl-hydrate
same thing..

winter windshield fluid can be 50% meth , the water mix works and does quell knock and it is cheaper to run.. its just that the jugs can be unpredictable on the mix ratio and wont yield the same HP as straight meth because meth is a fuel and water isnt so when tuning for consistency and pushing for top hp # run straight meth if your pump can handle it

I'm curious to what people are running for mix ratios, if at all. I've been doing lots of reading on the topic and I am wondering what turbo Buick owners find works best for our application. I've also been talking to lots of people with turbo sleds and they all have the best luck with winter windshield washer fluid. One other question, can any chemists out there tell me the difference between methanol and methyl-hydrate or if there is even a difference? Thanks to everyone. I'm always impressed by the volume of knowledge/resources on this site.

One thing ill tell you is that running 40-50% water will cost about 4-5% peak power with no other changes. Same timing, a/f, ambient temps etc. More water equals more loss of power. Likely could be offset by increasing timing but im not brave enough to throw 27* on top of 28-30psi with 93/alky mixed with water. So ill say to stay with 100% methanol.

Methanol richens(its a fuel)

Water leans out(as it takes the place of fuel in the combustion chamber)

Your typical Buick stock MAF stops reading at 14-16 PSI boost. Meaning it stops adding fuel when the MAF hits 255. When you use alcohol injection, the alcohol becomes the fuel past 14-16 PSI. So if your using a system that tracks boost with a 3 bar MAP.. as the boost keeps rising so does the amount being sprayed in. Using methanol the added boost gets additional fuel and tuning is very straight forward. If you use water, now the fuel doesnt increase as much and you'll be juggling with fuel pressure/adjustments along with system pressure/adjustments. And.. the water creates a problem when outside climate changes and you get too heavy with it. Using straight alcohol is perfect for a turbocharged Buick motor.

Hope this helps

Great, thanks for the info. I have been running pure methanol but was curious about other setups. Going to continue running straight meth after I get my boost controller on and a higher stall torque converter. Summer can't come fast enough. :)