Methanol shot up in Price

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
One source stopped carrying them due to the price increase. Called up the other source (Vanderlys) and they said let me tell you up front there has been a price jump. 5 Gals used to cost me about 20 bucks, now its 30 plus bucks for the same:eek:. This is VP.

Weird since its a wood derived product not oil????

Go figure

Look at maybe a 55 gallon drum.. We used to buy it for $50.00 a drum.
Race gas, in small containers, is waaaay more $ than in a drum qty. I'd suggest alky is the same way.

I had been buying 5 gallons for $30 for two years now, hopefully IL doesn't go up to $40 or something stupid.

Methyl Hydrate can also be used, $6 a gallon at home depot in Canada, cheaper in the U.S.

Our supplier told us two months ago, which we already new, the price was going up. At the time he said they were paying right around $4.00 a gallon. He also told us our price was fixed weather we bought 50 gallons at a time or 500. No deals under his quoate.

EVERYthing is oil related. You should know that by now. Just because racing alcohol (methanol) isn't derived from oil doesn't mean it doesn't take oil to get it to you. It has to be refined and then delivered and it takes oil to do all this. when the cost of crude oil rises EVERYthing is affected in the end.

+1 I also paid $30.00 for 5 gallons. at winner's circle Joliet IL. in Nov. I am going with a 55 gallon drum soon. Frickin winter blows.

Look at maybe a 55 gallon drum.. We used to buy it for $50.00 a drum.
Race gas, in small containers, is waaaay more $ than in a drum qty. I'd suggest alky is the same way.

Yeah they said they only clear 10% on a drum which is a bit over 300 bucks.

EVERYthing is oil related. You should know that by now. Just because racing alcohol (methanol) isn't derived from oil doesn't mean it doesn't take oil to get it to you. It has to be refined and then delivered and it takes oil to do all this. when the cost of crude oil rises EVERYthing is affected in the end.

:eek: IMPORT ALERT.......... IMPORT ALERT...LOL :biggrin:

Saw your sig and couldnt resist

:eek: IMPORT ALERT.......... IMPORT ALERT...LOL :biggrin:

Saw your sig and couldnt resist

Good point. I actually need to edit my sig line since we replaced the A6 w/a Camry Hybrid... speaking of oil prices going up. Thanks for the reminder. :biggrin:

BTW, I started on this forum when I had my Typhoon.

Don't believe that, not even for a second. In the case of Meth. it's purely laws of demand!!

There is such a huge shift in demand for the stuff, the wholesalers and retailers aren't stupid. They can now charge "whatever".

I'd say it goes a bit further than all that but the end reason is the same - industrialization in china, etc etc...

Alot of low-end wood products have gotten more expensive.

Firewood is now around $200/cord

Wood shavings, used to be about $40/truckload, now over $100 because they make them into pellets for parlor stoves (Aunt has a horse farm)

increased demand for building materials, even pressed plywood and that is then exported mean they pay more for the wood they use to make the alcohol.... it adds up.

The more people that switch away form oil to altrernative fuels also drive up demand and price.... lots more wood burning these days to avoid oil costs

Welcome to the new millenium:(

Everything's up because the US dollar aint worth ****.

You used to only get $75 for a junkyard to come take your junk car, now they'll give you $200 since scrap metal is worth more.

Meth

I still get it for the same price. Nothing. It pays to work for a Propane Co/Welding Supply Co. My nitrous and propane at cost and Methenol for nothing!!!!!! We have 15 drums of meth in stock at all times to add to our 3 30,000 gal propane storage tanks. I fill my 5 gal jug up about once every 2 months. God I love my job!!!!!!!:D

Whatever the price.....the smile it puts on my face is priceless! ;)

+1

...and at about a half to a full gallon per tank of pump gas it still beats running full tanks of race gas and the fuel system to support it.