Meth vs water?

My view is that it depends on what you are trying to achieve with the water or meth injection. As an additional source of (high octane) fuel enrichment, straight meth is best. If the aim is to avoid detonation, straight water. Separating the two functions, i.e. using straight water injection and adding the extra fuel via the fuel injectors will make tuning simpler.

My view is that it depends on what you are trying to achieve with the water or meth injection. As an additional source of (high octane) fuel enrichment, straight meth is best. If the aim is to avoid detonation, straight water. Separating the two functions, i.e. using straight water injection and adding the extra fuel via the fuel injectors will make tuning simpler.

You are wrong. If your aim is to avoid detonation. the you need octane.. meaning a higher octane fuel.. in this case methanol.

If you need only cooling, then use water or methanol.. or both.

If you crank up the water.. you will spit and sputter as it does not BURN. So tuning gets way way way complicated.

HTH

You are wrong. If your aim is to avoid detonation. the you need octane.. meaning a higher octane fuel.. in this case methanol.

If you need only cooling, then use water or methanol.. or both.

If you crank up the water.. you will spit and sputter as it does not BURN. So tuning gets way way way complicated.

HTH

Yup.

Throw a lit match into a puddle of water.

Then throw a lit match into a puddle of methanol.

'Nuff said.

Throw a lit match into a puddle of water.

Then throw a lit match into a puddle of methanol.

That's the conclusion of today's lesson.

Water- in your radiator, your pool, or as a mixer in your Scotch.
Not in the alky tank.

Why wreck good scotch? :biggrin:

here's some more science

hey guys this will muddy-up the waters a bit more, a link to this subject on innovate motorsports website :smile:

You CAN be too Rich :: Application Notes

I'm going with Julio's recommendation.. because it's based on his first hand EXPERIENCE.

If you could run an NA car on straight methanol vs gasoline the car would produce more power on straight methanol. The reason this is so is because Methanol has higher specific energy content than gasoline. What that means is that when burned at its best power air fuel ratio, methanol will release more energy than gasoline when burned. This may seem counter intuitive because methanol has less BTUs per gallon than gasoline. That is irrelevant though when the amount of methanol in the combustion chamber is almost twice the amount of gasoline when burned at their best power air fuel ratio.

MW 50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see from the link, this is all very old tech. Water has a much higher latent heat of vaporization which makes it desirable in an aircraft engine that can be run at full throttle for several minutes at a time. This reduces overheating which is more important than flat out power that you could only produce with methanol for a shorter period of time.

Since we aren't running our turbo buicks at WOT constant rpm for 5 minutes at a time, overtaxing our cooling systems isn't that big of a concern. The anti detonant effect of a cooler combustion chamber that water may provide is offset by the greatly reduced energy water would provide compared to methanol. The expanding water molecules do provide energy as they go from liquid to gas.
As it so happens methanol has a pretty good latent heat of evaporization and does so at a much lower temperature so it cools the intake charge while raising the octane of the fuel in the combustion chamber. It also produces more power than gasoline in direct contrast to the reduced power that water provides.

So, in short, methanol is what you want to run unless you have an air cooled VW engine under boost or something where overheating can quickly become out of control.