Metallica's "Saint Anger"-good or bad?

GNSteve

EFI Unlimited #4
Hey all you Metallica fans out there, here's one for you:

Do you guys like the new CD, "Saint Anger"? I heard they replaced Jason. Who took his place?
A friend locally heard a song from this CD and didn't like it. He said it sounds "different" than the Met we've come to know and love.
So what? Good or Bad? Worth buying? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

The bassist is Robert Trujillo. He used to play bass in Suicidal Tendencies.
Some decent stuff on the cd. Not really a Metallica fan anymore.

I think..

..St. Anger is ok. Compared to the older stuff, it sucks. But compared to what other bands are putting out, it is definantly decent.

Sucks Donkey. The "ringy" snare thing was cool 6 years ago, but Lars's is present the whole record. The tunes arrangements suck, like they were slapped together. :rolleyes:

BT

In the immortal words of Triumph The Insult Comic Dog......

St. Anger is for me TO POOP ON!

Thanks for the replys, guys...

Although it kinda hurts to see one of my favorite bands take a turn for the worst.
I looked up that earlier thread, and it seemed to mirror the responses here. Sigh.:rolleyes:
Seems that most of the rock bands from the eighties are dead, or putting out substandard stuff that cannot compare to their other works.
Oh well. Thanks again for the info.

*sigh* Metallica

Metallica has to be one of my favorites as well. I just heard the new one for the first time yesterday.. (we're a little behind over here in Germany). The song sounded.. OK. NOT the best I've heard from Metallica by no means, nor will this one be blowing my speakers up in years to come.

I'm still holding out the benefit of the doubt and seeing if the song grows on me. By no means, however, will I let this sour my allegiance to Metallica.

I LOVE Metallica's older songs, but man...I heard Saint Anger the other night on TV and it SUCKED. Just a bunch of yelling. Didn't sound anything like Metallica. But, I agree with gn85...I will still continue to listen to their GOOD songs, because it's some of the best music ever. :cool:

Originally posted by Zero Tolerance
The bassist is Robert Trujillo. He used to play bass in Suicidal Tendencies.
Some decent stuff on the cd. Not really a Metallica fan anymore.
Robert also played for Ozzy. Jason played on the Saint Anger cd.....was his last with Metallica. I heard on our local station here that the album was intended to have the garage sound......that was according to Bob Rock and James Hetfield. Just my 2 cents!:D

A friend of mine told me that he got the DVD along with the CD and that the DVD sounds so much better. So he is gonna burn the DVD to a CD, give it a try.

Originally posted by 6pack
Robert also played for Ozzy. Jason played on the Saint Anger cd.....was his last with Metallica. I heard on our local station here that the album was intended to have the garage sound......that was according to Bob Rock and James Hetfield. Just my 2 cents!:D

jason was long gone during the recording of st.anger.bass duties were shared by bob rock and james hetfield.

i agree that lars snare sounds like someone beating on a trashcan with a mop handle:rolleyes:

I have held out on replying about all this ST Anger drama....

Here is my .02....

Metallica is my fav band, has been for years now...I have looked fwd to every new album and only garage days was what "I" would call a great album....that does not take away from the first 4 albums that rocked....

now if you were able to read the metclub.com board (members only)...it would be the exact opposite of any other board....99% praise 1% complaints

and those who do complain get stepped on hard....which i think is wrong....some are accused of not being a "true" fan for not liking the new album. I think that is just assanign (SP)

now my opinion of the album is not that great, i LOVE the first song..."st anger" is ok, and the rest of the songs go down hill....yes it is true, the CD should come with a DVD of all the songs and it sounds 10 times better.....but i think that was the point of the album, to sound raw and garage like.....why i dont know....cause its not just the sound of the band...its the quality of the recording that i feel makes it sound horrible.

i have tix for 2 concerts in 8 days, and i know its going to kickass!

i cant wait to hear some of the other songs live....(I saw them 6 years ago)

I hope Lars uses a bigger drum kit on the tour, I'd love to hear him play all the old songs with the current kit. :rolleyes:

It sucks

I'm a loooooooooooong-time Metallica fan and we play some of their songs in my band.

St. Anger sucks - period. It is nothing more than any other band of their genre is doing and sadly, some if not most of the other bands are doing that style even better.

My wife got me the CD/DVD for Dad's day and I've listened/watched both discs completely. More than once...

Still sucks...

They can and have done waaaaaaaay better than this one.:mad:

Oh - and the Robert vs Jason bass player debate? IMO, Robert does not even come close to Jason's abilities or stage presence. I mean, who wants to watch apeman dragging the bottom of his bass all over the stage while he monkey walks?

They need Jason back and some new creativity.

Re: It sucks

Originally posted by Raven

Oh - and the Robert vs Jason bass player debate? IMO, Robert does not even come close to Jason's abilities or stage presence. I mean, who wants to watch apeman dragging the bottom of his bass all over the stage while he monkey walks?

They need Jason back and some new creativity.

put down the crackpipe dood.

robert trujillo has chunks of guys like jason newsted in his sh!t.

go pick up some infectious grooves or listen to suicidal's "lights,camera,revolution".no comparison.

besides,all newsted ever did was run around and headbang:rolleyes: .

later,sean