maybe tech maybe not... stang/gn related turbo question

Reaper

Pit Bitch
i have a friend that is building turbo kits, an other friend is gunna have him do up a kit. he is gunna retain the stock heads and cam (4* advanced) with a Ebrock RPM intake. my question is this he will buy my 49 for 400 bucks. brandon says its to to small for his application. i maintain that it will be more then enuff, he will never see more then 15 psi and may or may not have an IC (if it does have an IC it will be a GN stocker). stock e7 heads can not out flow a TA 49? i think with the flow of the heads and the amount of boost he will want to run he will be more then happey with the power he is looking to produce. 375 to 400 rwhp.

what do you guys say to this.

hahahah i know the owners of turbomustangs.com. trentk and the rest of the boys over there think bigger is better. in this case i dont think it is... E7s can not flow more then a set of mild worked 8554 heads. i personally think at the boost level he is wanting to run a smaller turbo will do better then a larger turbo. for the most part every V8 guy will say the same thing but if your heads can not flow enuff to support the turbo your just gunna push hot air.

at any rate i am looking for some knowlege on this subject and i have yet to find anyone in the mustang comm. that knows truly what they are talking about.

thanks for the reply

Should work fine.Put an .82 AR exhaust housing on it and have fun.
I remember reading a while back about a 60 turbo on a 5.0 running tens.
The 44 compressor wheel is only 2mm smaller,if I remember correctly.

I assume this is a 302?

If he's going to intercool it, then I would forsee him maxing out a TA-49 around 5500 rpm at about 8-10 psi boost.

Nonintercooled, he'll probably hit the wall around 15 psi and 6000 rpm.

That ought to give you a ballpark idea. There are some assumptions I made there, so he could get a bit more or less. But I think ballpark that should be close. Should let him get to 400-450 hp or so, maybe more, depending. He'll be needing some 36 lb/hr injectors to support that safely.

I think that a stock GN intercooler on a V8 is a bad idea, even at those lower boost levels. I bet it will be too restrictive.

John

thanks for the reply john,

yea i know te 49 is small, but i think it will be the most effceint turbo for him (and it lets me buy a te34:) )

As for the GN IC that has yet to be a limiting factor on the 1st car we did. he has picked up 9mph since the addition of the IC. granted he did bump the timing on the last trip out. on the 1st trip out with the car he went from 112 to 117 mph then with 5* timing added he went 121.

thanks agian for the replies.