Maybe even GM doesn't like the GTO?

Yeah great advertising. Just like the TV commercial where you get a glimpse of the headlight, the sillouhette and smoking tire. Are those the only parts you get for $35K? Where's the rest of the car?

And to think, someone got PAID to come up with those ad ideas. :rolleyes:

Steve

Selling the car to the average consumer. Shows that they are selling the name, and name recognition, not the car right now. I'm warming up to the car, but it's true that the average buyer won't know what an LS1 is or Holden. However, the name is known. They want to hype up the uninformed based on the name before unveiling the usual styling. They should show the interior before the exterior in the next ads, IMO, since it's pretty nice in there.

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
Here's a full-page ad for the GTO in this week's Entertainment Weekly

Umm, I already have a fireplace! ;) I'm no Madison Avenue genius by any means, but wouldn't it make sense to actually show the CAR in the ad? :confused:

Yup, an ad like this really makes ME want to run out and buy one!
:rolleyes:

That is the new way to sell something, didnt you know. All you have to do is advertise the item without advertising the item. lol
Charles

Yea, that's how I saw it, as long as it's somewhat suggestive about the car, whether the car is actually there or not, that's all that's needed.

---and don't forget, the price of this advertising is absorbed by the consumer! :mad:

Well, maybe that's why MY sales are slow right now, me & Mark are dumb enough to show people what the products actually LOOK like!

As far as the GTO goes, this just reminds me of my favorite line by the old Fart in "Christine"...You CAN'T polish a turd.

;)

that is probably the worst ad I've ever seen for a car :rolleyes:
I dont pay attentoin to pontiac much except for my brothers GTP which doesn't seem to bad but that GTO seems like they took all the plastic parts off the grand prix made it smooth and curvy, installed an LS1 and said 'Whoa...look its a GTO'

NOT...

maybe things will be different in person...

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
maybe things will be different in person...
Oh they are. It's even uglier in person. :p Those bulbous quarter panels and euro-style, siamesed tailpipes...YUCK!

about five years ago...............

there was a car ad that didn't even show any part of the car. If I remember it was showing the sky with some clouds. I think it was Acura or Nissan but if anyone remembers feel free to chime in. Point is it was such a good ad we see that type of ad ALL the time!

If you don't learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it aaaahhhhhh............dddaaahhhhhh..........what?

Drew:(

The current issue of Motor Trend has the new GTO on the cover and has a story on road testing it. They gave it a very good review and even compared it's fit and finish, refinement and performance to BMW and Mercedes! It's refinement won hands down over the Mustang. This ain't your average GM product. See for yourself and read the article. I'm not crazy about the styling either but I'll reserve my judgement until I see some out on the road and at the track and maybe even test drive one. Other than the bland styling and lack of a Pontiac motor, I think it's a great idea!

As far as the ad goes, I'd say the point is to sell the image before showing the car to help build up the hype.

Re: about five years ago...............

Originally posted by Drew L
there was a car ad that didn't even show any part of the car. If I remember it was showing the sky with some clouds. I think it was Acura or Nissan but if anyone remembers feel free to chime in.

It was Infinity--------Nissans luxo division. They had great products and were destroyed in sales by Toyota that launched the Lexus line at the same time.

Nissan took a bath on that one, the press beat them up bigtime. It's just like todays General to copy someone elses 10 year old crappy idea.:rolleyes: