DOOR JAMB VIN STICKERS, SPI TRUNK LABEL WINDOW STICKERS

Dennis Kirban

I recently touched on these three labels under another thread. I figure I would start my own thread from scratch and bring everyone up to speed. I think everyone is in agreement our cars are gaining in value. More and more cars are under going restorations. Over the holidays I called a company that I had seen advertised in a Chevy magazine about making copies of my two door stickers. I had seen their ad for the early GM ones.

They said they could do them. I also inquired about do they have any distributors for marketing them? I was told they had been approached many times but his boss never contacted the companies that called him over the years. I thought it was a lost cause but by chance the person I talked to mentioned my name to the owner of the company. He remembered me as he bought Pontiac parts from me over 20 years ago for his 1969 Trans Am.

Fast forward: The company I am working with is ECS AUTOMOTIVE CONCEPTS. Owner is Dave Walden.
He is the only I repeat the Only company licensed by GM to do VIN stickers. Granted other various stickers under the hood etc are done by other companies and are licensed by GM but if it concerns that 17 digit VIN number he is the only source. He also is fully licensed for Ford and Chrsyler, AMerican Motors and several others.

Do a google search Dave Walden Cuda Hemi. The yearly Mopar Nats attracts 2,000 plus show cars every year. Their is one guy in all the years they been doing this that has shown 3 different cars that have won not only best of show but obtained the highest points 99.22 out of 100. Dave holds those records with a Valient, Hemi Cuda and a Challenger. 2005, 2008, and I think 2010. Nobody has come close. Three times a winner three different cars. Restored beyond perfection as one magazine has said.

I will have Brandon one of our customers post a photo showing the copies of the 1987 door jamb stickers alongside the originals. Research has shown the 1987 is different than the older ones. The 1984 is one version, the 1985 and 1986 are both the same but different from the 1984 and 1987. We are dong the ground work so we can offer the door jamb stickers first.

They will be on tamper proof paper like the originals. Sold as a set. You will have two choices. When you see the posted photos of mine you will notice he matched even the angled words to my originals. You will able to match yours if they are angled like some of my words or he can make all the words straight.

Once he gets all these the way they need to be they will be in a file for our customers. I will be offering this to all the other vendors we currently sell to so you will be able to order from your favorite vendor if we currently sell to them.

Their are several companies offering blanks which makes no sense if you want to have it correct. Simply typing the info on the labels from a typewriter is not going to make it right. Be like buying preprinted ten dollar bills and being told to type in any serial number you want. You still end up with a worthless piece of paper.

His up front license fees for GM, Ford, Chrysler etc would cover the cost of any GNX you could buy. This is money up front before he makes dollar one. Some of the special paper he buys like the tamper proof stock for these labels can run six grand for three rolls.

We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to have this available to us. First the door jamb stickers, then the SPI trunk ID label and then the window stickers. All exact. He will also be doing the visor decal because the two sources that I am aware of that did them under GM license neither is 100 dead on correct.

As you can imagine this is a huge undertaking as I plan to approach several big players in the other GM cars and already talking to the Corvette sources.

more info to come

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Here are the pictures Dennis is referring to in the above post.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 661
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 685
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 701
As you can see on the labels on the label referring to the weight look at the words capacity weight. They are not lined up which matches dead on to my original meaning. This points out a question should I match what mine was originally flaws and all or make it correct? Heck look at your huge trunk directions be lucky if it was put on straight with no bubbles and even if its on a flat surface and not halfway on a brace.

So my source will have two files for 1987 one file is a dead on copy of mine with the "wavey" lettering other version everything will be lined up exact.
Once I get samples of the 1984, 1985-1986 that will show you the 3 different formats which GM used. The 1986 and older ones most I have seen are impossible to read the VIN and other info its like something got behind the labels. Even on low mileage examples.

These are all on tamper proof paper so its not like you can remove them and save them when you get your door skin replaced or a repaint. The high dollar examples buyers will be looking very carefully at all the labels that the VIN info is on. Most of us probably realize the SPI label also is different on some of the years I know 87 is different than the 86. I never studied them side by side to know if the font is even the same.

We are not yet taking orders as I want to get the earlier formats posted so you can see the differences and we will then have it set up as to how we cna do it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Kirban Update:

First I need to make a correction. I made a mistake. The company I am dealing with has checked with GM licensing and there is a handful of companies that are grand fathered in to do the VIN labels for the older GM vehicles. My source has held the license for over 15 years and during that time no other company has been licensed by GM to do VIN stickers. . For the 1990 or 1991 and up to current GM vehicles only my source is fully GM licensed. Collision work with insurance companies is their main part of this part of their business. You can imagine that is huge. Frankly I am surprised the owner of the company has spent so much time with me on the phone and agreeing to do this for our market.

With that said, in my research the only ones I see on ebay and sold by other vendors available are blank. The machine used to print the exact font that GM used would cost into the six digits to buy. Also you can be assured that not only is the font correct but its on the tamper proof paper that is required by federal law.. Why pay $15 to $25 for a blank one and type in your info. It is certainily not going to fool any one. Be like buying pre-printed $20 bills and following directions to type in any 17 digit serial number you want hoping you can pas it off as a good copy.

What I am offering is for the serious collector that wants it correct. I am going after that market. I welcome any one to prove that I am wrong about others someone else having the ability to make the GM VIN related labels correct with the correct font style. The five grand car that may be a daily driver may not be a potential buyer, but the owner of a 20 grand and up car will be a potential buyer if indeed they want it correct. It's no different than selling the cheaper bumper fillers or stepping up and buying the better quality ones. I represent the better quality ones. You have to remember this is not just for our immediate market but the entire GM line up including Corvettes.

I will post the pricing for the door stickers in the next post. They will only be offered as a pair as it makes little sense to buy just one since both are custom made for your particular car. Besides priority mail being $6 easily covers both. I am making this available to other companies wich will include the SPI label and the window sticker eventually.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

What if mine are unreadable
Similar question here.
I am missing the door sticker from a previous owner's wreck in the 90's. The trunk sticker is still readable as is the VIN tag.
What will be your procedure for vehicle documentation to get new stickers?

I am OK with whatever the price might be, but we need to know what provenance is required.

We would need a picture of your VIN also you need to have the production date the one figure that may not be exact unless you have it related to the door jamb decals is the actual weight of your car. I would like to know if you have T-Tops which would make the car slightly heavier than my car numbers shown in the photo. Production date see if you can find a broadcast sheet etc.. The stickers will only be as good as the info you provide
your car title may provide some of the info also verify your VIN by it as well. Your case the trunk ID label for the VIN would work. Its the built date you want to try and pin down.

The cost is not going to be that bad. It is not going to be a stumbling block for the value it ads.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Remember the company owner is a car guy just like us and makes his main living on the newer cars and his other businesses. What is going to be time consuming would be window stickers. Here again when we get to that stage you need to get as much info as you can.

I'm in the same boat.my door sticker is there but everything is unreadable.what info is required To pull a window sticker.

Last edited:
We would need a picture of your VIN also you need to have the production date the one figure that may not be exact unless you have it related to the door jamb decals is the actual weight of your car. I would like to know if you have T-Tops which would make the car slightly heavier than my car numbers shown in the photo. Production date see if you can find a broadcast sheet etc.. The stickers will only be as good as the info you provide
your car title may provide some of the info also verify your VIN by it as well. Your case the trunk ID label for the VIN would work. Its the built date you want to try and pin down.

The cost is not going to be that bad. It is not going to be a stumbling block for the value it ads.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Remember the company owner is a car guy just like us and makes his main living on the newer cars and his other businesses. What is going to be time consuming would be window stickers. Here again when we get to that stage you need to get as much info as you can.

Then consider me one of your first customers when this comes out! I have the VIN information (Trunk label, VIN and registration) and the broadcast sheet from the car's door panel. Built 3/9/1987 with T-tops. When you are ready, I will be too!

REALLY looking forward to this.

Hi Dennis,
Someone on the forum was asking what they could do if their information was unreadable or missing. As long as they can show something that references their original VIN information (a Title, picture of their Dash Tag, etc.....) we can help to figure out the rest of their missing information such as Tire sizes, vehicle capacities and build dates. It requires the Customer having to provide additional information but we do it all the time with those who are missing some of their data.

Above is an email I got a few minutes ago from Dave the owner of the company to me as he read my thread. Again the more info you provide the better.

Kirban again:

Soon as Dave has the masters done on the 1984, 1985-86, to add to the 1987 that he has already completed done we should be up and running for taking orders on the door jamb decals. I suspect this will be later this month. This update would be posted in my weekly inner circle email and I would put a note on this thread as well. I already have inquiries from G Body and Cars Inc about these.

In each case you will have two choices IF you provide a good clear copy of yours you can have that duplicated exact such as mine meaning crooked lettering etc or if yours is crooked you can request making the copy straight. Nice of GM to offer perfection and non perfection! If your stickers are not readable then you basically have one choice to make line copy straight. These are custom done their is no discount for ordering two as the same amount of work is required for each sticker. Their are no free do overs! So if yours is unreadable you must carefully print out the 17 digit VIN number with photo proof. Even if yours is readable you must type out your VIN also just in case your photo is blurred or not crisp looking. Most 86 and back seem to have seen better days. Keep in mind these are on tamper proof paper like the originals once you start to apply them you can't be trying to move it! Details will be spelled out again once we are ready to take orders.

The only discount is priority mail is a flat $6 for the pair of door stickers. Your stickers would be processed using a special file that Dave has set up specifically for our G Body market. That is possible because all our cars were finished at the Pontiac plant.

Here are the prices:

$60 each times 2 stickers door jamb for 1984, 1985-86, or 1987

Priority mail shipping is $6 total

total cost would be $126 to your door.

If you have a earlier GM car that uses the single blue VIN label (1970-75?) they are cheaper, Inquire.

What about the trunk tag??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirban Again:

Our first project is what I been discussing the dual door jamb stickers. Once we have that up and running the next VIN related decal is the SPI trunk ID label. I don;t have a time frame for that or pricing. Dave has to go through his files and see the differences. He has my clear 87 and his friends clear 86 to work from. It will happen. After that would be the window stickers. Keep in mind this is small segment of the project as I am going after the entire GM muscle car market offering it to my other vendors. I sell to most of the major Vette vendors already.

As a bonus since Daves good friend owns a mint 86 GN he did borrow his sun visor so he can dupe exact the visor decal. Currently two versions are out there GM licensed that I am aware of. Neither is dead on correct. Their close. I am sure they would suffice but that is one that Dave can run in quantity and be very markable without much effort. So we will have that also. His version because of the equipment in house he has will be exact.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis, if you have some stickers ready by may, it would be cool if we can buy them from you at the event at richard clarks.

Dennis, if you have some stickers ready by may, it would be cool if we can buy them from you at the event at richard clarks.

Any sticker requiring a VIN has to be ordered in advance its not a saleable item until it has the owners VIN on it. The visor decals yes I will have them for sale. I will be set up with a small display of parts at Richards in May. Be accepting cores at this event also.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You think that we may be able to order them with our vin and pick them up at the event? Assuming its ready by may.