Automotive Humor on Craigs List

Dennis Kirban

Like many of you from time to time you probably scan the cars/trucks for sale column for your area on Craigs list which generally lists the cars sold by the public. Either by design or dumb luck, it can be amazing how some people describe their car or truck. You can pretty much tell when it is a young person listing their car versus someone who actually may have stayed awake during English class at school. I know I have purchased a few "gems" off Craigs List (turbo regals we dismantled) Those always live up to the low expectations I have!

On another forum I saw a thread for readers to post funny Craig ads they spotted. From time to time I run them in our weekly Inner Circle. Below is a recent one. Sometimes the real impact is viewing the photos that no way even come close to matching the descriptions given in the copy.

So, if you see one that makes no sense or is humorous and clean post it here. Don't post the actual seller info just the wording they use to describe their pride & joy.

I saw this ad on Craig's List. At least this person was honest. His mistake was probably sitting on the car for 6 years before making this decision!

"88 Yugo GVL parts car. I've had it for about 6 years, previous owner had for a while, last registered/run in '96.

Need to clear out the garage. I believe its fairly complete. I should be able to find the title as well.

It's free...come and get it, should roll freely."

At least this seller has put a realistic value on the Yugo!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Interesting enough...Yugos where sold during some same years as the Turbo Regal was.

Where ever Yugo your mechanic goes.........

What do you call a FOUR DOOR Yugo??? a .... WEGO!... tadadumb!

Got a funny one on the Honolulu Craigslist, I actually thought about buying it too but just bought my 87 T Type about a month ago and having a baby soon, but anyway here is the listing for a 1970 Buick Skylark in Honolulu. I like the part about the girlfriends.

"This is the most comfortable ride I've ever had, drives like a dream. I've driven this car around the island countless times. It can take all your girlfriends to dinner too, 3 in the front and 4 in the back. I really don't want to sell this car, but unfortunately I'm moving to Paris. It would cost too much to ship and can't drive it on those narrow roads. It has a new exhaust system, brake system, carburetor, and water pump. CD deck installed and the tires are almost new. It's vintage, so the body can use some work. I know I can get the body fixed up and sell it for a lot more, but I'm not going to have time to enjoy it much. I have to sell it by next month which is why I'm going to take any reasonable offers. Thanks for looking!"

Another one for a Corvette,

"1995 CORVETTE convertible comes with hardtop. Only 39,500 miles. Ready to show. Shoes have never touched the carpet. Butts have never touched the leather seats. "

On the subject of Yugos.....

The speedometer in a Yugo actually reads higher than the 85 mph our Turbo Buick reads from the factory. Strange but true.

A Yugo comic I spotted years ago shows a guy pushing a Yugo by pushing on the rear hatch window with the words " The reason a Yugo has a rear defroster is to keep your hands warm!" End of quote...

You could say the Yugo replaced the Fiat jokes from earlier.

Another Yugo ad in a Craigs listing maybe a year ago in my area seller was seeking $3500 for his mint Yugo claiming in the ad " A future Classic"...
Lets hope the classic car world never reach that low point!..

denniskirban@yahoo.com

i don't know why, but i've always wanted a Yugo.. they were so bad that the owners were practically giving them away when i got my license in October of '90. i almost bought a fairly nice turbo Yugo for $300 about 10 years ago, but thankfully the owner never returned my call...

More thoughts on Yugo/Fiats

Yes the Fiat is now back in the US....however the dealerships are referred to as Studios....

Maybe 8 years ago the one local junk yard I always dealt with a a small row of Yugos in their yard. I had them dleliver one to my house so I could always look at it and remember this was a flop......kinda of a joke.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

time will tell if the new Fiat will enjoy anywhere near the success the resurrected Mini Cooper by BMW has done......I had one of those supercharge Minis awhile ago fun car....best part was I resold it for more than I paid for it to a wholesaler who even sold it for more money at the auction...not something that happens very often....

I remember when all the Yugo dealerships closed down and had clearance sales...in Billings, MT at the time they were running an ad "2 for the price of 1 with no warranty".

My roommate's girlfriend bought a Yugo new, 1986 I think. I remember all 3 of us riding in it once. It was a 3-speed manual. The darn thing seriously had trouble getting up a hill, she had to downshift right away. But I think they cost $3,995.

......I had one of those supercharge Minis awhile ago fun car....best part was I resold it for more than I paid for it to a wholesaler who even sold it for more money at the auction...not something that happens very often....

Yeah, that sounds more like a Turbo Buick story!;)

There's a guy who drives his Yugo by our house all the time. For two years now!:eek: I can't believe it's still running!;)
People have been breaking out all kinds of small cars lately. I'm seeing Chevette's, Festiva's and all kindsa weird old compact's I never thought I'd see again being used as DD's. I had a Chevy Sprint for about a year. Stupid 3-cyl. pos! It would take a mile to set up a pass on somebody going 50mph, and if it didn't turn out, like sudden oncoming, it would take another mile to try again! 48bhp! If you can believe it, the throw-out brg shaft was aluminum! When I found that was getting chewed up I actually got away with JB Welding it! Had to sand it down and skim coat the whole thing, cuz the JB was harder than my starting piece! Couldn't even get one from the junkyard, cuz the two trans they had were chewed up there too! I did sell it for what I paid for it in the end, even after putting about 35K more miles on it!

I remember when all the Yugo dealerships closed down and had clearance sales...in Billings, MT at the time they were running an ad "2 for the price of 1 with no warranty".

This post strikes me funny that a dealership in Montana back then when Montana had no real speed limits would be a place that a dealership would market Yugos....not exactly a car that would keep up with traffic in that wide open country....I have driven through Montana several times. I would think a professional bike rider on any 10 speed bike would accelerate quicker.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Probably somewhere on the internet is a forum for Yugo owners......have to see if one exists....

I will try and contain my excitement.....unfortunately it is not in the English language the only language I am familar with.

May be the home country for the car....and in that world car is probably held in high regard...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The super rare Yugo model is the convertible.....not sure what year but production was less than 50 made. So start looking for one.

I will try and contain my excitement.....unfortunately it is not in the English language the only language I am familar with.

May be the home country for the car....and in that world car is probably held in high regard...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The super rare Yugo model is the convertible.....not sure what year but production was less than 50 made. So start looking for one.

Didn't know there was a convertable one.

The site isn't in english but the scary and funny part is that they have a racing section.:confused: I didn't think they'd go fast enough to even race a snail.:biggrin:

I remember back in the late '80s, an Iowa Cadillac dealer was offering a "free" Yugo with every Cadillac sold at window sticker. I never heard how successful that promotion was.:eek:

I remember back in the late '80s, an Iowa Cadillac dealer was offering a "free" Yugo with every Cadillac sold at window sticker. I never heard how successful that promotion was.:eek:

I know of at least one other caddy dealership that also had the same offer here in western PA area....one of our long time turbo owners worked at the dealership....buy a caddy and a yugo was free....

Talk abut opposite ends of the automotive spectrum!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Not to dwell on Yugos but here are a few minor points concerning this loveable loser...

Drowning Mona featuring Bette Midler featured a bunch of Yugos in the movie...

another movie called Bird Cage with Robin Williams and Gene Hackman around 1996 at the very end of the movie a Yugo convertible appears....

The Yugo makes the list of 50 worse cars of all time the phase used in the article says "built in Yugoslavia the Yugo had the distinct feeling of something assembled at gun point. In the brochure the carpet on the floor was listed as a "standard feature". I used to have an actual brochure on the Yugo and in the description of the convertible it claimed the top was easier to work than the Porsche top.....not sure how many buyers would be comparing purchasing a Porsche versus a Yugo!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Yeah, that sounds more like a Turbo Buick story!;)

There's a guy who drives his Yugo by our house all the time. For two years now!:eek: I can't believe it's still running!;)
People have been breaking out all kinds of small cars lately. I'm seeing Chevette's, Festiva's and all kindsa weird old compact's I never thought I'd see again being used as DD's. I had a Chevy Sprint for about a year. Stupid 3-cyl. pos! It would take a mile to set up a pass on somebody going 50mph, and if it didn't turn out, like sudden oncoming, it would take another mile to try again! 48bhp! If you can believe it, the throw-out brg shaft was aluminum! When I found that was getting chewed up I actually got away with JB Welding it! Had to sand it down and skim coat the whole thing, cuz the JB was harder than my starting piece! Couldn't even get one from the junkyard, cuz the two trans they had were chewed up there too! I did sell it for what I paid for it in the end, even after putting about 35K more miles on it!

OMG it's true! I have a 1986 GN with T Tops a 1987 white Turbo-T and sure enough...a CHEVETTE! lol 1980 to be exact, 4 door cream with camel color interior. Wow super ugly on the outside (needs paint bad) but surprisingly mint on the inside. It's a 4 speed stick, easy on gas, and who gives a F*** about door dings!