Mark VIII fan install

I can't edit my previous post, but this is the correct final wiring diagram (I accidentally posted the original one again):
FAN_FINAL_FINAL_DIAGRAM_1jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Here is a website with more info on the Mark viii fan. It seems your current draw ratings are a little bit low from these guys specs. I can see this thing taking over 40 amps for sure. I would use an #8 awg wire for the least voltage drop.

http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

The single speed fans pull more air and according to both the amperage ratings and the pics in that writeup (see above image for reference), that is what he has. I have a single speed fan as a spare and by sound alone I can tell it pulls more. I'd have to borrow the clamp on meter again, but the numbers posted in that link are probably not far off for a single speed Mark VIII fan. I can assure you the numbers posted above are correct at 12V for a two speed fan as this wasn't a cheapo clamp on meter I am using :)

As for wire, #10 is all the factory used (they only used #12 on low speed) which is good for 55A - this is fine for either version of the fan. The split second that the fan draws in excess of this is not enough to worry about overheating any wiring.

I dont have pics but we put one of these in a friends monte ss and if you spend a lil time with a bench grinder and a cut off wheel they fit really nice under the top radiator plate...

Cut off the original mounting ears with a cut off wheel and grind flat with bench grinder then take your cut off wheel and slot the bottom of the shroud all the way across so the edge of the core support fits in the slot..

It will then fit snugly under the radiator top plate and look cleaner and fit up against the radiator with no gaps...

I agree ...

w/ daileydrifter and charlief1 it needs to go to the "how to section". Great job.:cool:

I didn't read the whole thread, but wanted to say. I run this fan on my GN. With a SLIC, it wouldn't come close to fitting. It does fit well with my FMIC piping. My install was not the prettiest, but it works great so far. It has kept my temps lower than my dual intrepid fans did, and its pulling air through a 4" thick FMIC and a stock 4 row radiator.

I didn't read the whole thread, but wanted to say. I run this fan on my GN. With a SLIC, it wouldn't come close to fitting. It does fit well with my FMIC piping. My install was not the prettiest, but it works great so far. It has kept my temps lower than my dual intrepid fans did, and its pulling air through a 4" thick FMIC and a stock 4 row radiator.

Any pics??

Here are some pics i just took with my iphone... like i said its a rough install, but it works and its not a show car. I had to trim the fan quite a bit thinner and then used vacuum hose and the the foam stuff you wrap water pipes in (name escapes me). Excuse the fan wiring I haven't been able to clean it up after the install.
photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

The thinner Sable/Taurus fan barely fits 1/8" clearance with a SLIC, V4 in my case.

Just for reference not a Hijack. ;)

A quick and dirty, but functional install, as I needed to get someplace in the car. :)

FordFanClearancetoV4SideView.jpg

FordFanShroudTopWE42.jpg

I have this same fan using a Thermo switch 180, GREAT FAN BTW. Motor might be the same but you can find them on XR7s other ford/lincolns. IF not the 17'' ford/lincoln fans will be fine. When i get my chip i will get the ECM fan harness,so it can all be computer controlled. ;)