Fan Problems?need advice

V6-Sauce

I'm using the stock single fan..It doesn't turn on at low speed or high speed to cool the engine at idle. When I shut off the car the fan kicks on and runs for 2 minutes then shuts off, So I know the fan motor is fine, and the big fan delay relay is working. I just replaced the two small relays for low/and high speed and cleaned the connectors still doesn't come on. The harness is pluged in. I got no idea? The car cools fine while on the gas pedal driving

Last edited:
I guess I'm asking a dumb question but do you have a 160 T Stat and a chip that will turn it on at that degree ?

Search thru some threads,i remember one from awhile ago that tells how to directly hook the fan up so when you start your car them fan is one.

Could be your radiator fan switch, located on top front of the intake manifold. Has a single wire connector on it. Parts stores carry it.

I'm using the stock single fan..It doesn't turn on at low speed(207*)or high speed(227*) to cool the engine at idle. When I shut off the car the fan kicks on and runs for 2 minutes then shuts off, So I know the fan motor is fine, and the big fan delay relay is working. I just replaced the two small relays for low/and high speed and cleaned the connectors still doesn't come on. The harness is pluged in. I got no idea? The car cools fine while on the gas pedal driving
Casper's fan switch, I have it on my daily driver, temps don't go over 185 in traffic and 98 degrees out.

I'm using the stock single fan..It doesn't turn on at low speed(207*)or high speed(227*) to cool the engine at idle. When I shut off the car the fan kicks on and runs for 2 minutes then shuts off, So I know the fan motor is fine, and the big fan delay relay is working. I just replaced the two small relays for low/and high speed and cleaned the connectors still doesn't come on. The harness is pluged in. I got no idea? The car cools fine while on the gas pedal driving

Pull the 3 wire plug off of the AC compressor and ground pin A and pin B one at a time and see if the fan turns on (make sure you have the key turned on. You don't have to start the engine). Grounding pin A, the low speed fan should come on. Grounding pin B should put the fan in high speed. If neither one works you most likely don't have power going to the fan relay coils which comes from the Gages fuse. You should hear the relays "click". If you have high speed but no low speed the problem most likely is the fan resistor. Either the resistor is bad or there is a bad connection at the resistor. The resistor terminals do get hot and they tend to corrode over time.

Do you mean to test with one piece of wire(ground) and place it on a ground source like metal, and putting the other side of wire to pin A and B one at a time on the connector off the ac compressor to to see if fan turns on?

Last edited:
Do you mean to test with one piece of wire(ground) and place it on a ground source like metal, and putting the other side of wire to pin A and B one at a time on the connector off the ac compressor to to see if fan turns on?
Yes. Take a piece of wire....ground one end....pull the connector off of the compressor....touch the wire to pin A or pin B on the connector and the fan should turn on. Make sure you have the ignition key on.

Yes. Take a piece of wire....ground one end....pull the connector off of the compressor....touch the wire to pin A or pin B on the connector and the fan should turn on. Make sure you have the ignition key on.

Ok, I did the test. I hear both relays click when I test the 2 pin's(on the 3 pin connector from compressor). The first pin fan doesn't come on but I can hear the relay click when I touch it with the wire. The second pin (middle pin on connector) fan comes on high speed. I checked the connections on the fan, Seems fine,. If it's the resistor, Do they still sell that? Which gage fuse in the car would affect the fan?

Last edited:
Ok, I did the test. I hear both relays click when I test the 2 pin's(on the 3 pin connector from compressor). The first pin fan doesn't come on but I can hear the relay click when I touch it with the wire. The second pin (middle pin on connector) fan comes on high speed. I checked the connections on the fan, Seems fine,. If it's the resistor, Do they still sell that? Which gage fuse in the car would affect the fan?

If the relays "click" and the high speed fan works it's not a fuse problem. Sounds like the resistor is bad or you have a bad connection at the resistor. Make sure the connections on the resistor are good. They may look good but they may not be. They corrode over time because of the heat. What you could do is bypass the resistor. Move the fan motor lead to the other side of the resistor. The fan should work but it will be in high speed. Not sure if the resistor is still available.

What do u think about the connector from the relays with the black harden tar inside?Should I replace those from casper's. U think they might have anything to do with an issue with the fan?

Last edited:
What do u think about the connector from the relays with the black harden tar inside?Should I replace those from casper's. U think they might have anything to do with an issue with the fan?

Check the resistor and connections to it first.

I scanned a few vendors last nite and couldn't find the resistor. Any availability?

Just jump the resistor out and remove it from the loop. I have no idea why someone would want a fan to run slow with the side effect of a resistor converting fan speed into heat.

On your relay, just because you hear a click doesn't mean it's working. All the click tells you is that the input signal is complete and the magnet works. It does not tell you if there is power going out (or even going in) on the high current side. The only way to know for sure is with a volt meter.

I found the problem, On the resistor one of the terminal tab where the one wire connects too rusted out and broke off the resistor..I connected all the wires to the otherside of the resistor.. I did the test again with the wire in the 3 pin connector from the ac compressor to a ground. Pin A and pin B the fan came on. I'm asuming this fixed the issue.

By the way the resistor is discontinued but gbodyparts has a few if anybody needs one.

Last edited:
I thought the car was running hot at idle? You always had a complete electrical fan circuit, if only on high speed, so I don't see how this fixed the problem.