M5 BMW vs 540 AC Schientzer?

Dan Thompson

I have played stop and go with an AC Schientzer (sp) before, so I wanted to see how he would fair against an M5 on the freeway today.

They were going about 80 at 2:30 pm, not much room and they had the sense to know this when the traffic started getting heavy.

The M5 looked really nice with the 4 exhaust pipes, two on each side. The cars both had nice wide rims and where lowered all around with a small front rake.

The fun ended with the AC going into the carpool lanes and the M5, only one person in the car, going straight ahead.

The AC is a inline 6 and the M5 is a 396 hp V8 so we know if the both were to try who would win.

A 540 is a V8, too, but 4.4L instead of 5.0L. You are right, though, the M would probably kill the 540.

I read somewhere that the M5 in the next 2yrs will have a V10 and the M3 will have that M5 motor ,but dont qoute me on this ,the article is at work if anyone wants more details let me know..

Bad rides..
Dennis

American lemans and I think World Challenge Series already let M3's run with M5 V-8's. I think someone must have convinced the rule makers this was going to happen soooner than it actually has.

AC Schnitzer is a company who makes performance parts for BMW and Mercedes. They make everything from pedal pads to turbo set ups. It's hard to tell what a car may have done just because it says Schnitzer on it.

Jacob

On a European auto show on Speedvison last week, they compared 3 3 series BMWs, a new M3, an Alpina 3 series, that had minor tweaks, than the last one, I forget what it was called, but it had the M5 400 hp engine sqeezed into the 3 series body!! THAT car I wouldn't mind!
Jeff C.

Two guys at work have BMW's that have told me this.

One has a 630 coupe and the other has a 3 series convertible.

Both say they have to have the rpm pretty high before they start seeing any torque.

Yes the 630 is old technology and is a straight 6 and the 3 series is newer but his must be about 10 years old.