Damn BMW M6

nullrout

So a bit of setup is required for this one.

Just got the car back on the road with Lonnie Diers's help. Long story for another post. He went above and beyond helping me sort my crap out.

Car has sat for 14 months with a full tank of gas. I go burn it off and fill it up with premium. Discover the SMC alky pump is shot. Powerlogger says knock starts around 19 pounds. Okay, stay under 18.

Out for a cruise today and see a brand new screaming yellow 5.0 mustang. He's in the left lane, I'm in the center. I'm not paying attention to the what appears to be a brand new M6 behind me. I didn't even know he was there. I try to get the Mustang to play. He shakes his head after he hears the turbo and wants nothing to do with this 30 year old Buick. The M6 guns it, cuts to the right and passes me. I didn't even see him until he was already half a car in front of me. Stay under 18 pounds right? SH*T I don't wanna stay under 18! I feather the throttle around 2/3rds to keep it under 19 PSI. He puts one car length on me. I'm watching the boost gauge rather than anything else. I can't pass him at this rate and he's just keeping his one car length so I let out of it (at my best guess) around 120. He shows no respect and turns off right away. Eff that BMW! No offense intended to any BMW guys here but he reminds me of the old joke: "What is the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? With a porcupine, the pricks are on the OUTSIDE"

Older guy in a Cadillac STS chases me down and shouts "is that a Grand National?"

Me: yeah kinda.

Him: I knew it had to be the way you were putting it down with that bimmer I've been running over a hundred to catch up to you.

Me: I've got broken parts, that won't happen next time.

Him: jaw drop.

I gave him a quick turbo flutter and let him move on (quite quickly for a older guy in a giant Caddy).

So I looked up the 2016 M6 specs after I got home: MSRP of $114k (I dare you to find one not loaded) 560 HP Twin Turbo 4.4L V8. Neither I nor the Buick was impressed that was all he had with my low PSI run. I wanted to tell him he better add some more turbos or make it twin turbo V10 next time if he wants the same result. I have in my car what I expect is the value of both his head lights and maybe a front seat or door panel.

Bottom line: I now remember why I suffered through years of transmission issues. Dan hearts Buick all over again! Thank you Lonnie. Look me up next time you are in Tampa Bay Area. I owe you whatever dinner you want, Berns' included (however, my steak is better than theirs).

So who wants to give me the best deal on Julio's alky kit? I'm hungry for some spaetzle and have a wrong to right!

Yup! Julio's is the only way to go for alky.

The bad news:
A six figure import, squeaked out a win on your four or five figure (is it a GN? :D) domestic.

The good news:
Your car has the potential to lay waste to most anything on four wheels, (including ALL Beemers) once dialed in.
As an extra added bonus. You have an OUTstANDINg way of putting words to keyboard. We are looking forward to hearing about how you respond to having sand kicked on your face, by some bratwurst eating, yuppie, that most likely doesn't even know how to pop his own hood.:D

PLEASE! post a follow up on this.

Great post.

Mike Barnard

I'm not a BMW guy but I have to admit, the M6 is a nice looking car. I could never afford one so thats, that. They're fast but your car in race shape will take it. Get yourself an Alkycontrol kit and go hunting.;)

I hate to do it, but I have learned that sometimes you have to wave off a challenge when your not locked and loaded. For me, this is usually due to inadequate/dangerous road conditions that require me to do this.

But if I'm along side them, window to window, and I speak with them, I'll normally ask if they really think I should bother. That normally gets them wondering.

But if I'm along side them, window to window, and I speak with them, I'll normally ask if they really think I should bother. That normally gets them wondering.

For this to work for me, they have to be on my left....... having crank windows and all........;):D

I'm not a BMW guy but I have to admit, the M6 is a nice looking car. I could never afford one so thats, that. They're fast but your car in race shape will take it. Get yourself an Alkycontrol kit and go hunting.;)

My buddy had a 2008 turbo 335 that went consistent 11.8's/118mph on street radials and spraying methanol. Turned and stopped pretty dang good, too. That was a fun little car. He wanted no piece of my Buick, though.:D

He had just over half of what I have in my TR. Jus' sayin'.

Yup! Julio's is the only way to go for alky.

The bad news:
A six figure import, squeaked out a win on your four or five figure (is it a GN? :D) domestic.

The good news:
Your car has the potential to lay waste to most anything on four wheels, (including ALL Beemers) once dialed in.
As an extra added bonus. You have an OUTstANDINg way of putting words to keyboard. We are looking forward to hearing about how you respond to having sand kicked on your face, by some bratwurst eating, yuppie, that most likely doesn't even know how to pop his own hood.:D

PLEASE! post a follow up on this.

Great post.

Mike Barnard

It's a White T-Type...paid 5200 for it in 2008 and have maybe 10k in engine rebuild/trans/turbo etc. It's not going to win any trophies at the car show...door dings, rusty door bottoms, a little rust behind the quarter panels and rusty deck lid. It looks like an old POS which is why I love showing up cars like that BMW.