Low speed up and down shift?

hemity

86 T-Type
Hello
My 86 T w/Art carr shift kit . At low speeds like 10-15mph when I press the gas slightly seems to shift up and down quickly sounding very clunky until I take my foot off it. Has been this way for a long time. Wondering if anyboby knows a fix to this?or maybe I will have to live with it. Anything would be helpfull.
Thanks

Seems to happen the most after Im coasting and then try to give it a little gas. Does Not feel like any slipping is happening.It more like back and fourth in and out of 1&2 gear or the converter locking and unlock quickly and or something. Pushing the gas more makes it stop also but when driving in town its not always an opion.Other then this problem the trans shifts very firm and has no other issues.

I came across a GM Transmission TTC Solenoid sold by kirban. I wonder if this Solenoid could solve my problem.

I doubt it is the TCC solenoid. It sounds more like it's hunting between gears. Are you sure it's hunting between 1st and 2nd and not 2nd and 3rd? Have you tried adjusting the T.V. cable?

I doubt it is the TCC solenoid. It sounds more like it's hunting between gears. Are you sure it's hunting between 1st and 2nd and not 2nd and 3rd? Have you tried adjusting the T.V. cable?

I've had this same problem with my 87 since the tranny was rebuilt many years ago. Under just the right circumstances it will hunt between 1st and 2nd very rapidly. It's pretty random and almost impossible to replicate.
It's the best shifting tranny I got though so I kinda live with it.
I don't know what shift kit was used in mine though. I should ask Don at DRW, he did the work.

this sounds like a worn or leaky shift tv valve in the valve body or small crossleak

Chris thanks for your input.
Mike to answer your question I really think it 1-2 because I would'nt think it was 2-3 it would be less positive . and if Im in the right place and I can press the gas more it will stop.Turbo Dave is having the same type of problem. I guess that makes me feel better about it and can live it if I must. I may try changing TCC next trans service. can't hurt.

In my case, it was a 2-3 hunting problem. I wound up putting a heavier (by 2gms.) primary weight on the governor and readjusting the T.V. cable and the problem went away. This was a suggestion by Bruce at PTS.

Old thread I found by using the search feature, I have the same issue. I had it before, but it would happen rarely. Now with the new rebuild, it happens often, it only happens with the lightest pressure on the go pedal, and as soon as I give it some juice it shifts fine...

Chuck

Old thread I found by using the search feature, I have the same issue. I had it before, but it would happen rarely. Now with the new rebuild, it happens often, it only happens with the lightest pressure on the go pedal, and as soon as I give it some juice it shifts fine...

Chuck

Chuck,

Both of my built 200s have done the exact same thing. In my '86 which was a newly rebuilt Mike's trans, it would happen specifically when I would drive thru the local park I lived near. 15 - 25 MPH. It almost felt like it was bucking - very quick bunk bunk bunk - but this thread describes it better. Happens as well in my '87 - not sure who built the trans but it's got a bunch of CK parts. Same exact thing. Give it a little throttle and it stops.

Now I have a Quicksilver so I can hang the gears and shift when I want. :)

Dan

Dan and Rich, thanks for the feedback. Rich, I'm going to print out that article and show it to my local tranny doctor, thanks !

Chuck

hemity said:
Hello
My 86 T w/Art carr shift kit . At low speeds like 10-15mph when I press the gas slightly seems to shift up and down quickly sounding very clunky until I take my foot off it. Has been this way for a long time. Wondering if anyboby knows a fix to this?or maybe I will have to live with it. Anything would be helpfull.
Thanks

My TTA has this same issue since it was rebuilt this summer. It's the third time it has been built, but this time I went all out. I just kind of figured it's the nature of the beast.

My TTA has this same issue since it was rebuilt this summer. It's the third time it has been built, but this time I went all out. I just kind of figured it's the nature of the beast.
Yes, same here, every Billet part made, is in there now.

Chuck