Low Alky Light testers wanted

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Ok.. I'm in need of some "BETA product testers" who currently have my system to test a new low level circuit which will eliminate the blinking as the liquid sloshes.

What happens now, is when the low level drops and stays down for 5 seconds the LED illuminates. Before, when you hit lets say half tank.. the LED blinks.

The downside I see is with the blinking you can kind of tell what level you have. As it gets lower, it blinks more..

With the new.. it wont show a low level until it hits low level.

Thoughts???

Julio

PS.. I have 10 built and will use existing wiring. LED must be changed, and wires connected. Looking for testers who use their vehicles daily and experience the blinking low level.

I drive it just on the weekend so I dont know if I will have enough road time for your test. But keep me in mind because when I am driving I'm going thru alot of alky and I have that blinking issue.

I must have a hole in that alky tank...;)

IMO i dont think that is a good idea. I dont mind the blinking light as it tells me hey your getting low i wouldnt beat on it or do hard launches if i were you. This might be a good setup for some but i like my blinking light. its like a idiot light. hey dummy look at me your low on alky fill me up or lose a head gasket or a motor. just my .02

I think its an alright idea, but then how many of us get on it, knowing the alky is low? When the low level does blink, i know its usually a little over half full, but when it does, i usually dont get on it, because i dont wanna risk a HG.

I do drive my car everyday, and ill push the pedal more and build boost to test stuff out.

But if you want, i'll do it. I'm always up for something to do to my car, especially if it helps a very GRRREAT vendor!

So if you want to count me in, send me a PM!:biggrin:

-Adam

Mine isn't daily driven but I use it on nice weekends and whenever else I get a chance. I'll be glad to be a tester if my useage qualifies. ;)

I do like the early blinking somewhat since i know I need to top it off next chance I get......but I don't panic and still get on it a few more times since I know that once it starts blinking I still have half a tank. It annoyed me at first but I've grown to like it as an early warning system. With a more "realistic" low level light I'd just ease off until I can top the tank off.

i use lots of alky and keep a spare walmart appplejuice bottle in the trunk (96oz)

as much as i thought the light coming on was annoying on launch i still like it to come on , and as others said if i see it come on and stay a little too long during a pass i surely check it before the next pass

what i wish i had more is a lower rear outlet on the alky tank so that the flow point cant run dry during a pass even when its half full , but i think im going to try to add a small bladder inline before the pump that will hold atleast an 8 oz supply

I like the light blinking as well. I mainly use mine on the street and top the tank off every time I take the car out. Who knows what I'll run into out there! :biggrin: The only thing I would change is the color of the led for low fuel. Make it a white led or orange. With the red one I've had several people in the car and when I jump on it they yell.. "your brake light just flashed!" As we all know that powermaster can go out in a flash and with that red flash on a launch from the alky sloshin around it almost seems it's the brake light flashing in the corner of your eye! Other then that it's nice to have it flash so I know to check my alky level.

I like the light blinking as well. I mainly use mine on the street and top the tank off every time I take the car out. Who knows what I'll run into out there! :biggrin: The only thing I would change is the color of the led for low fuel. Make it a white led or orange. With the red one I've had several people in the car and when I jump on it they yell.. "your brake light just flashed!" As we all know that powermaster can go out in a flash and with that red flash on a launch from the alky sloshin around it almost seems it's the brake light flashing in the corner of your eye! Other then that it's nice to have it flash so I know to check my alky level.

The bezel from GM is RED. Anything that illuminates behind it will show up as red.

If you had the delay installed, it wouldn't blink anymore. That would be the fix.

Thanks for the thoughts.. this is how things get done.

Julio

Is there a way to put a baffle of some sort in these coolant overflow tanks? That's what I wanted to do, but couldn't figure out (I also didn't think about it too long and hard) how to get something in there thru the fill hole or how to section the tank and put it back together.

Paul's idea of bladder may have some merit, but I would try to put the bladder in the tank itself to help the alky from sloshing around so much as it starts to run down.

My low fuel light flashes on hard launches when the tank is over 3/4 full.

As for the beta tester, I'm game, but it's also not my daily driver. I try to take the car to work a few times a week when the weather is nice though.

im just used to it.. makes me keep a closer eye on the level when i see the light blink.. .. i wouldnt change a thing Julio...

I fill our tank everyday .. plus have a gallon in the trunk to "top off" before I head back home :cool:

i like it because it forewarns me that its getting low and its still safe to get on it. BUT THE BIG QUESTION IS WHAT IF THE LIGHT BULB IS BURNED OUT AND WE DONT KNOW!!!! THERE SHOULD BE A WARNING THAT THE BULB IS BURNED OUT LIKE IT SHOULD COME ON WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED FORWARD ABOUT TO START OR WHEN WE HIT THE TEST BUTTON IT SHOULD LIGHT UP THE LOW FUEL LIGHT ALSO !!!!!

the light for the low level if done according to directions is an led , not so easy to have it blow out

the pump (power injection) uses a conventional lamp

if you wanted to all you would need to do is install a momentary button switch (Normally Open) under the dash grounding the line that runs to the tank , this would give you a test button for the low level LEd

I would be more than happy to help test for you however I agree with the other post. It is nice to have an early warning (blinking light) to know how much play time you have left before needed to fill up. I make it a habit to keep a spare gallon in the trunk so when I see the blinking I have a heads up that the tank is getting low.
Anyway its your call if you want to move forward. It is already a great product but if it can get better everyone wins.

The bezel from GM is RED. Anything that illuminates behind it will show up as red.

If you had the delay installed, it wouldn't blink anymore. That would be the fix.

Thanks for the thoughts.. this is how things get done.

Julio

I thought the low fuel bezel would light up orange with a clear lamp. :confused: I use to have the low fuel module in there before I hooked up the Alky and I thought it would light up orange when low on fuel. Maybe I'm loosin it! I use to have a picture of it with low fuel lite but of course I can't find it now. I remember when I installed the kit I thought hmm lights up red in stead of orange. I even thought about replacing that red led with a white one. I'll have to go to the car and shine a flashlight on the dash now to see. :biggrin:

I'll have a tranny in my car in the next week or two. At that time I'll be driving (and racing) it regularly. I'm with others who like the blinking light, but if you need a product tested I'd be more than happy to help out. I'd probably just switch back when you didn't need anymore test info. Now, if you could make one that blinks one color, (like yellow) when the current one blinks and then turns on solid on another color (like red) when this new one would turn on, that would be cool. Not neccesary because like others I like my tank full, but cool. It might lull people into a false sense of security though and lead to some popped HG's. Anyway, let me know. james

I realize a light like that would not be able to go in the low fuel spot.

I just got my alky kit from Cottons and havent installed it yet so I would be game to test out the new light for you. Mine is not a daily driver( evenings after work and weekends when the weather is nice) so I may not be the right person for the job either.
Bryan

the low fuel light is orange. I bought my alky kit used and the led didn't work. I used a light bulb instead- low fuel light lights up orange now. I think you can get clear led's as well - they would also light up orange.

Don't drive my car often enough or have enough time on my hands to volunteer to be a tester, just wanted to say this sounds like a great improvement to the system. I thought something was wrong with mine because of the low level light flashing but now I see that it's a known issue with the current system.

It's not the biggest deal in the world but it can be freaky sometimes to have the pedal to the floor and all of a sudden see the light come on and think that you're about to run out of alky.

Best of luck with the testing process.