Lousy 60ft's from slow spool(long!)

Jbenn911

Still tryin to learn !!
Two trips to the track, with multiple runs each time...Have managed a best of 12.70 at 110mph on a 2.08 60'..It feels like the car is bogging down until shortly after I pass the 60' mark..then WHAM..boost shoots to 23psi and away I go..I've ruled out the alky(turned it off, raised turnon point), too much FP(was 42 line off idle blms at 129), leaks(has been on Snapon smoke machine)..I've tried launching at 0psi, 2,4 and about 5 is where my tires start to crack loose..It'll build up to about 5 or maybe a lil more, and just seems to climb very slowly at first, then shoots to full boost around 3000rpms..Havent been able to monitor 02's at launch, but end runs are in the range of 768-780 with 0-1.3*KR. Friends watching me launch the car have reported seeing puffs of black smoke when I'm launching...I've shut my alky kit down and ran a street chip on plain 93(with lower boost of course) and got the same results. It is almost as if a switch gets flipped around 2800-3000 and the boost comes on ! TIA !!!

bog down

without a scan tool its hard to say for sure ,the smoke at the line ,is it tire smoke or exhaust. maybe your running too rich,how much stall ect.

Where does the Converter stall to? If you have a vaccum/ boost gauge brake boost till the gauge is at 0 boost 0 vaccum and look at your rpm's. You may not have enough stall. I'm running a BB turbo on a 2800 D5 and it's not enough. I may have to go to a 3200 to get the time down to a 1.6.....

Also what exhaust housing are you running?

Steve:
From the guys watching, it was clearly black puffs coming from the exhaust..yeah..all i have right now is a scanmaster and the usual assortment of gauges

TradingT/A: Actually didnt watch that :confused: Next time I get the car out, I'll have to try it...It's a fairly new(maybe 1000-1500miles) Pat's XHD unit rated at 3000..and the 44 has a Precision .63 housing.

spool

sounds like your way too rich.check with tour chip maker and back your fuel pressure off a couple of #s in the mean time

yeah...that's the weird part..it seems to be about 3000rpms or so when the boost ramp up to full, almost like it's taking a while to get to the stall speed ??? Man! things were a lot simpler(though not as fun??) with my old Monza.. :D

Could be rich, but your blm's would let you know. Exhaust leaks? You could have a cracked header or warped header flange that's only noticeable when you load the engine( I had this). Could be just a lazy converter, you get what you pay for. I was told by thatPat's converter's stall consistently lower than they're rated.

Yeah..it is rich..no doubt...and from what i gather, a typical 009 problem on the low end...if i put the translator to the normal(#3) setting, blms drop to the mid 110's or so..no matter where i put my FP at...no leaks at all..have had the car on the snap on smoke machine...runs pressurized smoke thru the exhaust, backwards and will find the TINIEST leaks..nada..same with pressurizing the vacuum side..first time since i've had it, with no leaks !! I"m waiting to hear back from Eric Marshall to see about getting chip worked on a lil bit ;-)
and I had a pats 3500 in my monza...was a great converter..that's why i went with them again...see what happens once i get it leaned out a bit

Just the one, I think... :confused: It's an "LT-1" MAF, on the tranlator...have to check..thought there was only one in there..Thanks for the tip..do it tonight when i put the new fans in..

Make sure you have a good filter don't want anything hitting the hot wire in trhe maf. Also try the lean setting for the 3.5 in. maf toggle. had good results with that........

14" k&N that's in good shape :) Cant tell by lookin at the 3" if it's one screen or two, I seem to remember when I had my impy that there was only one...I'll try the 3.5" lean setting...didnt know you could get away with that !! thanks!

This is the same problem I am having with my car. I have terrible 60 foot times, not because of traction, but because the car is slow out of the hole. At the 60 ft mark, the car wakes up and I spin the tires. I also tried turning the alky off, tried different launch boost settings, fp settings, but no luck. The car runs great otherwise, I also have 009's, 2800 stall, and one of turbotweaks chips. I am getting ready to change my whole combo, but would love to find the problem first. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but maybe we have the same problem. :confused:

Sounds like we do...Eric asked me to try and get some o2 numbers while tryin to spool up on the line and if you are seeing any black smoke puff out, where it starts(on the line, launching, etc)...no problem on the hijack, misery loves company !! :D

trading t/a said:
Where does the Converter stall to? If you have a vaccum/ boost gauge brake boost till the gauge is at 0 boost 0 vaccum and look at your rpm's. You may not have enough stall. I'm running a BB turbo on a 2800 D5 and it's not enough. I may have to go to a 3200 to get the time down to a 1.6.....

Also what exhaust housing are you running?

OK...did the foot brake test today and at 0 boost/0 vacuum, the rpm's on the cyberdyne dash and the SM read 2450..

I had a similar problem with a TT chip with 50s. I had the FP at 43 as Eric suggested. The car was a pig. I turned the FP down until I could get boost on the brake. I ended up lowering the FP to 34lbs. I heard I was not alone with this either. I would drop your FP until you can make boost off the brake. I think my car is still a tad rich at 34psi. Still working on it.
Good Luck

too low of a fuel pressure will result in poor atomization. Be carefulk with this as you may end up puddling the fuel instead of spraying it. If that is where your 0 vaccum 0 boost number is then that is your stall. It may flash higher than that, but if your gauge is correct concerning rpms than that's what you got.

If you have the ability and someone has a spare converter for you to try, I'd do that before going to the extremes of band aiding the problem to make it run.......

HTH

Trading t/a: Thanks(600rpm drop from the rated stall?? DAMN)...I may have the opportunity to do that, buddy has a brand new west coast 3200 and no motor to attach it to yet..

Sleepy: I can build boost on the line..I'm able to build 5-6psi on the line

Just to put it in perspective. Lowering the FP from 38 down to 34, my car went from 104.8 to 108.3. It still lagged quite a bit at the launch too. The FP was all I changed. My ET went from 13.6 to 12.8. Just make sure you keep an eye on your O2s so you don't go lean. Eric told me a few other customers experienced the exact same thing I did. But all of us had 50s, not 009s.

I drove my car straight to the track after putting in the 50s two days ago. I am still working on mine. I think I still have some room for improvement. Eric said he would change my chip if need be.