Lost firm shifting after tranny flush and fill

mmarlett

Need help from the experts. I have reviewed many postings concerning tranmission fluid and still remain unclear on how to proceed.

My situation concerns a stock 87 GN with 29,000 miles. I did purchase this vehicle this summer, and since I did not have the service history, I did have the transmission flushed and filled at a Vavoline station. However, prior to this service the GN would "chirp" the tires under hard excelleration between 1st and 2nd. Now, it does not seem to slip bit is a very smooth shift. I want may firm first- second shift back! I imagine the fluid from Valvoline is formulated for smooth shifting.

What can I do to recitify this? What fluid for a street GN used 2,000 miles annually? .

Thanks!
Matt

I am far from an expert but my TTA starting acting the same way after 30,000 miles. When your internals (clutches...) sit in the trans fluid for 20 years then you start adding HP or holding it to the floor at WOT to get that chirp between gears the trans will get soft. I would bet you are do for a rebuild.

If they use the newer Dexron it has better friction modifiers and will cause smoother shifting(those bastards). Best bet is to call and ask them which Dex they use.

The available dexron will not by itself cause a smooth shifting problem by itself. I have it in my car and it is at least 600whp and shifts like a champ. Ratio changes in under .1 sec under power. Sounds more like the band/drum needs resurfacing/replacment. The stock pickup/filter design is not adequate for high G force launcehes and could cavitate the pump circuit under hard acceleration.

Some Info on Dexron VI.
The following chart represents the improvements over Dexron III.
Extended Fill Range = 100,000 miles Normal Use.
Change Interval = 50,000 miles Severe Use.
Clutch Friction Stability = Improved 100%
Clutch Durability = Improved 120%
Oil Film = Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation = Improved 100%
Shear Stability = Improved 200%
Foam / Aeration= Improved 150%

1. Double check the TV cable
2. make sure the trans is filled to the middle of the back and forth bends above the full mark/approx 3/4 a qt over

The morons probably didnt fill fluid up to the "full" mark. For that matter they probably didn't do a "flush" either. Were you there to watch them to make sure they didn't take you car out for "test" drive?

The morons probably didnt fill fluid up to the "full" mark. For that matter they probably didn't do a "flush" either. Were you there to watch them to make sure they didn't take you car out for "test" drive?

A Jiffy Lube special. :eek: :mad:

No expert but currently using Type F fluid or Amsoul's Type F version w no complaints

Thanks to all for the insight! I had the transmission fluid changed over to Dexron III as suggested on this forum. Unfortunatelly, I have yet to notice any difference. The 1-2 punch is still missing.

As far as I know Valvoline instant oil change shops do nothing more than stick a tube down your filler tube and suck the fluid out. No dropping the pan, no new filter & gasket. As was already mentioned try adjusting the TV cable.

Someone with more transmission knowledge will chime in.

Bryan

I did verify that the pan was NOT dropped. They hook up to the cooler line and extract the old fluid then replace with the new.

Please help with additional information on the TV cable. Where do I find this? What does it do? How do I adjust it?

Your patience is appreciated. I am mechanically able, however new to the turbo Regals.

Matt

What might your job be? Mind if I come watch over your back while you work?

Sorry, but I work in an auto shop and it bugs the hell out of me when customers wander around the shop and feel that the garage door being open is a big welcome sign saying "pick up parts and stand really close to the techs while they work and be sure to be in between them and their toolbox".

Sure, I understand that you want to know whats going on with your car, but if you need to watch them working on your car, maybe you need to take it somewhere where you trust the mechanics, or do it yourself.

Also, if you have a problem with them taking your car for a 'test drive', don't complain if you get it back and the problems not fixed.

Not trying to start a fight with anyone, just seems like too many customers wander in the shop. You probably didn't mean it like that but just throwing it out there.

@ mmarlett, did they adjust the bands? Aswell, as pronto said, being low on fluid would cause it to slip.

What might your job be? Mind if I come watch over your back while you work?

Sorry, but I work in an auto shop and it bugs the hell out of me when customers wander around the shop and feel that the garage door being open is a big welcome sign saying "pick up parts and stand really close to the techs while they work and be sure to be in between them and their toolbox".

Sure, I understand that you want to know whats going on with your car, but if you need to watch them working on your car, maybe you need to take it somewhere where you trust the mechanics, or do it yourself.

Also, if you have a problem with them taking your car for a 'test drive', don't complain if you get it back and the problems not fixed.

Not trying to start a fight with anyone, just seems like too many customers wander in the shop. You probably didn't mean it like that but just throwing it out there.

@ mmarlett, did they adjust the bands? Aswell, as pronto said, being low on fluid would cause it to slip.

I am a certified dental technician. I wouldn't mind at all to have visitors watch me make a crown for them. I love explaining to people what I'm doing. It's would also be great for the patients to see that their tooth is being made right here in the USA with no lead, unlike crap from cheap China labs. They would see the value of our service. We might be more expensive but it's worth the extra money.

Those quickie places have a terrible track record for ripping off customers by charging them for work they never did. They also have a high turnover rate of employees and most are not well trained. There is a long thead about those places and all the woes of going to one. They did a fluid change and didn't even drop the pan to change the filter! That's pretty stupid IMHO. The only thing they adjusted is mmarlets wallet.

Hello Group.

I did verify that the pan was never dropped. The fluid was just exchanged through the tranmission coolant lines. The car had 25,000 miles back in 2000. When I bought it this summer, it only had 25,400. Could the long hybernation cause any issues?

I did verify the level is full. In addition, I did several adjustments to the TV cable with not luck. The cable would make a difference on lower rpm shifts, but not a WOT shift from 1-2. Still shifts like a Lexus under WOT. However does not slip, just a very smooth shift.

First, I'd ditch the Dextron. Type F and some Lucas Oil Transmission fluid should do the trick. Been there done that.