Lost firm shifting after tranny flush and fill

I dont like the flush machines. When the machine is hooked up they have to determine flow so if they hooked the lines up wrong they have quick disconnects and swap the hoses.Now the crap that just got flushed out of the 150,000 grand marquis was just sent back into your trans.I am no trans expert but that does not sound good to me.I know the machine is flushed out after every use:rolleyes: When my buddy flushed mine out at jiffy lube they put the gun in the dipstick tube and pulled the return line off rad and started car and pumped fluid till it was clean .He ran 10 gallons through it:eek: It was overkill but it worked.

Some Info on Dexron VI.
The following chart represents the improvements over Dexron III.
Extended Fill Range = 100,000 miles Normal Use.
Change Interval = 50,000 miles Severe Use.
Clutch Friction Stability = Improved 100%
Clutch Durability = Improved 120%
Oil Film = Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation = Improved 100%
Shear Stability = Improved 200%
Foam / Aeration= Improved 150%

I am done with Dextron III, Dextron/Mercon and Type F in any performance trans. For a few years we have tried various trans fluids.

Over a year ago we first tried Dextron VI in a 9 sec. build with a TH 400. We decided to pull the trans for a freshen after a full season of racing. The fluid looked brand new after draining, and all the wear parts looked new as well.

Just before the freshen job, we installed a race TH 400 in another 9 sec. GN. The first trip to the track the park bracket bolts came loose, but for 5 runs the trans was awesome. We had to pull the pan to tighten the bracket bolts, and glad we did. The Dextron III fluid was almost black.

These 2 cars, which are almost identical in build and track performance, finally gave us a valid basis of comparison that we have been wanting..

Moral of this story is that we will only use Dextron VI or similar in any performance build. The extra heat from high stall converters and a trans brake kills regular fluid in a very short time. The data above also point this out. :)

Another similar 9 sec. GN is currently using hydraulic fluid, so when we start racing again next month, we want to see how that compares to the synthetics.

Also, I am sorry this is off-topic from the original post, but thought it might be of some value. :redface:

I am done with Dextron III, Dextron/Mercon and Type F in any performance trans. For a few years we have tried various trans fluids.

Over a year ago we first tried Dextron VI in a 9 sec. build with a TH 400. We decided to pull the trans for a freshen after a full season of racing. The fluid looked brand new after draining, and all the wear parts looked new as well.

Just before the freshen job, we installed a race TH 400 in another 9 sec. GN. The first trip to the track the park bracket bolts came loose, but for 5 runs the trans was awesome. We had to pull the pan to tighten the bracket bolts, and glad we did. The Dextron III fluid was almost black.

These 2 cars, which are almost identical in build and track performance, finally gave us a valid basis of comparison that we have been wanting..

Moral of this story is that we will only use Dextron VI or similar in any performance build. The extra heat from high stall converters and a trans brake kills regular fluid in a very short time. The data above also point this out. :)

Another similar 9 sec. GN is currently using hydraulic fluid, so when we start racing again next month, we want to see how that compares to the synthetics.

Also, I am sorry this is off-topic from the original post, but thought it might be of some value. :redface:
Great info! Thanks Nick!

The filter probably collapsed on itself with not being changed and they ran the flush machine. It takes the cooler pressure and puts fluid back in at the same rate to keep track of how much is in the flush you are doing. With the filtering media being used in the filter (felt?) it could be slowing down the flow to the pump and causing you problems. Also look at the 1-2 accumulator when you have the pan off. Make sure the spring didn't break into a few pieces. Accumulator action will deminish with broken springs and give a bump-slide affect but no chirp like you want.

If we do these at work on non Toyota vehicles, we ALWAYS recommend the filter be changed first to clean out the pan and verify if a flush is worth it or will finish off the trans. If it is hurt, flush won't help one bit.

And Trans-X is always a good way to finish off a trans. I have had to build probably close to 1000 transmissions because somebody poured that in there to unstick a valve or governor. The most non-fun of them for me was the Honda 4-speed because there is NO external way to get to the governor to check it. ALL internal.

The filter probably collapsed on itself with not being changed and they ran the flush machine. It takes the cooler pressure and puts fluid back in at the same rate to keep track of how much is in the flush you are doing. With the filtering media being used in the filter (felt?) it could be slowing down the flow to the pump and causing you problems. Also look at the 1-2 accumulator when you have the pan off. Make sure the spring didn't break into a few pieces. Accumulator action will deminish with broken springs and give a bump-slide affect but no chirp like you want.

If we do these at work on non Toyota vehicles, we ALWAYS recommend the filter be changed first to clean out the pan and verify if a flush is worth it or will finish off the trans. If it is hurt, flush won't help one bit.

And Trans-X is always a good way to finish off a trans. I have had to build probably close to 1000 transmissions because somebody poured that in there to unstick a valve or governor. The most non-fun of them for me was the Honda 4-speed because there is NO external way to get to the governor to check it. ALL internal.

Hmm must have a certain smell to it when in a tranny.I have had succes using it in a real life trans.

Drop the pan

I don't see where the pan was dropped. Like someone said earlier - check the filter and what ever else may be in there. (At least this filter is accessable unlike some imports that are internal to the trans)

Can't agree more about the fluid..... can't tell you how many times I've billed out a transmission service to someone who had a converter shutter (mainly Fords) with just the swap to AFT+3 or AFT+4 whatever the latest (Mopar fluid) is.

Oh - glad the dentist likes people looking over his shoulder but I don't know many tech's who like it.

Sorry to use my husband log in. Hope you find your problem.

Oh - glad the dentist likes people looking over his shoulder but I don't know many tech's who like it.

I'm a dental technician, not a dentist, if I was I'ld have more money to spend on my car.:D
Like I said, I got nothing to hide when I work. Don't care someone wants to watch.

tv cable

i had the same problem too and now im sideways shifting into 2nd :biggrin:

Thanks to everyones input regarding my concerns. This is really a great site with educated enthusiats.

However, I have now done:

1. Replaced transmsission fluid with Dexron/Merc III

2. Verfied that the accumulator 1-2 spring is not broken.

3. Overfilled the transmission by 3/4 quart

4. Replaced the transmission filter

5. Made several adjustments of the TV cable

Unfortunatelly, it still is not providing that "kick" goind into second. It is not slipping, however, does not have that punch.

Many thanks!
Matt

old thread i know, but what did u ever figure out on your trans. ? i've had the same thing done to mine. i wish i had never changed the filter/fluid.