Looking for a 9-sec builder and a quote...

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
I have a buddy of mine that is looking at putting his GN into the 9's.

He has a very low-mile car and wants to remove and store the original motor.

He has some ideas, and I've offered my advice as well... from doing either a partial build for him, or having a complete motor from a reputable builder to just drop-in and go.

I'd like to hear some suggestions on builders, price ranges and timeframes...

Additional cubes are preferred, so a stroker build would be best. I'd like to see him in a stage or TA block with the extra fasteners, since he needs to aquire a block anyway... but will consider any/all ideas.

Lets hear 'em. :D

Art - Thanks for posting the thread and helping me out. Also - car is NOT a dedicated drag car - sees shows and cruise nights and I would like to keep my 200-r4 hofer trans.

I'm thinking high 9's here and the car weighs a little over 3100 lbs without me.

Thanks,

Bill

Have him call me at the shop. Id be happy to talk to him about the car whether we build it or not.

Don Cruz. He did a flawless job that survived me learning a distributor and XFI..:cool:

Lotsa options out there, his motors fly. Proven.

Motor for sale

I have a 3.8 stage 1 block 012 RJC GIRDLED,cat crank , k1 rods ,DIAMONDPISTONS.30, champion r heads , t&d shaft mount rockers , champion intake , roller cam ,ta roller lifters ,billit timing chains,sfi fywheel,70mm tb ,atr headers,76 hpq , $10,000 drop in and go:d

I have a buddy of mine that is looking at putting his GN into the 9's.

He has a very low-mile car and wants to remove and store the original motor.

He has some ideas, and I've offered my advice as well... from doing either a partial build for him, or having a complete motor from a reputable builder to just drop-in and go.

I'd like to hear some suggestions on builders, price ranges and timeframes...

Additional cubes are preferred, so a stroker build would be best. I'd like to see him in a stage or TA block with the extra fasteners, since he needs to aquire a block anyway... but will consider any/all ideas.

Lets hear 'em. :D

I happen to know where there is a TA motor with the following:
TA heads and block 272 ci
Forged everything
Reed 244 cam LS1 valve springs
76 GTQ turbo 4 bolt
160 # injectors
FAST bank to bank
TH 400 trans with a trans brake
9 inch converter 3800 stall
ATR Stage 2 headers and a 3.5 inch down pipe

Motor makes 800hp at the wheels and that was at 26 psi there is more in it

I would not try to make a 200 trans work with a car going 9s.

$20,000 gets you a motor and trans that will do the job easy.

This combo is good for a 9.50 time slip if you want it.

I have a 3.8 stage 1 block 012 RJC GIRDLED,cat crank , k1 rods ,DIAMONDPISTONS.30, champion r heads , t&d shaft mount rockers , champion intake , roller cam ,ta roller lifters ,billit timing chains,sfi fywheel,70mm tb ,atr headers,76 hpq , $10,000 drop in and go:d

that is a steal!

I happen to know where there is a TA motor with the following:
TA heads and block 272 ci
Forged everything
Reed 244 cam LS1 valve springs
76 GTQ turbo 4 bolt
160 # injectors
FAST bank to bank
TH 400 trans with a trans brake
9 inch converter 3800 stall
ATR Stage 2 headers and a 3.5 inch down pipe

Motor makes 800hp at the wheels and that was at 26 psi there is more in it

I would not try to make a 200 trans work with a car going 9s.

$20,000 gets you a motor and trans that will do the job easy.

This combo is good for a 9.50 time slip if you want it.

Reggie, am I missing something here with the stage 2 headers on production style TA heads? And FWIW I have been running a billet 2004r from Brian Hofer for years. My car ran 9's almost every weekend all year and still works great. I am convinced that they can live at this level.

John Plog

Reggie, am I missing something here with the stage 2 headers on production style TA heads? And FWIW I have been running a billet 2004r from Brian Hofer for years. My car ran 9's almost every weekend all year and still works great. I am convinced that they can live at this level.

John Plog

Agreed, there are a number of builders that can make a 200 live comfortably in the 9's.

Stage 2 headers on a TA head. :confused: ATR, sure, but not SII