Limit Engenering turbo problem's (CHOPPER)

lv2tikt

Anyone have any problems with limit rebuilds? I had my te-60 rebuilt few years back 06' due to shaft snapping like a wash rag in center section, When shipped back to me the wheels were locked up? WTF so i shipped back to Chopper on my dime again, He replaced housing? Said it was bad? Quality control must have been on vacation this day, second time around i noticed the turbo was smoking lightly upon install but since car is not driven much, less than 150 miles year, I thought maybe somthing wasn't seated maybe needed broken in, Well the smoking got worse, little embarassing at cruises pulling in smoking with 34k on the clock.
I again removed the turbo and shipped back to Chopper, Today i get call telling me turbo is wasted complete rebuild needed again? less than 200 street driven miles on this turbo, no racing 5 yrs since rebuild asked for some help with the turbo and response was $50 off rebuild? $575.00 and shipping again? Are u f ing kidding me...Rippoff so i see another brand on my car after $750 purchase, $625 rebuild 127 shipping and get 200 miles outta it? oil starvation was his reply....well the stocker was not shreaded and matter fact was perfect after 34,000 miles?...Anyone else had problems with Limit, I was informed long ago(12 yrs) when i first got into Turbo Buicks that limit was the "MAN" in Turbo's Well i got real bad taste from him this time around, once maybe...but you dont get me twice....Just really fed up with this whole operation Any Sugestions? Ball Bearing turbo? Another Brand for sure.

Well, I won't say anything bad either but I have to agree with John. Buy a new Precision and make sure fill out the warranty card. Have had issues with both but they stood behind their work and it only cost me shipping. Sorry about your luck.

You are not alone my next turbo will come from Cotton (turbonetics)

Frank.... you might want to reconsider...... IMHO....there aren't but two turbo suppliers/rebuilders for the TB community. Only one of these is releasing new cutting edge technology for the TB's. Precision Turbo. You need to look around at all the classes being run at these events and see what they are running. I'll let you in on a secret..... it isn't turbonetics. Jack himself this past year (or so) took a tnetics turbo off and put a PTE turbo on the pumpkin and shattered the cars previous ET and MPH record...... it wasn't on accident.

Chopper and Limit have supported (and are well liked in) the TB community for years and what they offer is greatly appreciated as well.

I don't have a dog in the fight.... but you need to read and look around before you go dropping some hard earned money on a new hairdrier for your ride IMHO.

There is only a lmited number of things that can go wrong with a turbo. Not many pieces and when they fail a conclusion isn't hard to come to. Posting pics of failed parts helps a lot. I remember back in the 90's precision would send back the failed components with the fresh turbo. Usually thrust bearings full of metal and wasted. Clear indication of what happened. Often the oil drain back is compromised and will cause smoking. Sometimes the heat soak back will carbonize the oil in the sealing ring are and the slinger action on the end of the turbine is lost which causes a lot of smoke especially idling.

I have dealt with Limit in the past, and received excellent service and great products.

It is quite possible that your turbo starved for oil, check the feedline and make sure it did not get crimped when swapping the turbo.

I hope you get your turbo problems straightened out.

Regards,

Bob

I've great service from them. They rebuilt my turbo for free, I just had to pay for shipping. I bought it new from Limit and it only had 1200 miles on it when I lost some bearings in the motor. I also went through one of their dealers and I think that helped get mine rebuilt for no charge. Jay's GN deals with Limit and is local to you (in New Stanton) if you want to check him out.

Frank.... you might want to reconsider...... IMHO....there aren't but two turbo suppliers/rebuilders for the TB community. Only one of these is releasing new cutting edge technology for the TB's. Precision Turbo. You need to look around at all the classes being run at these events and see what they are running. I'll let you in on a secret..... it isn't turbonetics. Jack himself this past year (or so) took a tnetics turbo off and put a PTE turbo on the pumpkin and shattered the cars previous ET and MPH record...... it wasn't on accident.

Chopper and Limit have supported (and are well liked in) the TB community for years and what they offer is greatly appreciated as well.

I don't have a dog in the fight.... but you need to read and look around before you go dropping some hard earned money on a new hairdrier for your ride IMHO.

I totally agree with the exceptional support we have gotten from both supporting vendors. BUT, You Should Buy What You Like!
Everyone know PTE makes better "Bigger" turbo's than the rest...but I think Jack was implying that you get more for your money with Tnetics years back for the average Joe in HIS opinion... Heck, I purchased a BB turbo with a polished cover without the option for coolant lines... $1150 dollars shipped.
All they are great units!

I have a brand new pte 6262 billet dbb stick appearing turbo in the for sale section.

Confirm your feedline is 100%, turbo feed fitting is not clogged and your oil isn't contaminated.

If the above pans out OK, then I don't see why you'd send it back to them, in your case, they haven't proven anything other than wasting your time and money. If the turbo smokes upon start up and got worse, sounds like it was leaking past the seal on start up and just got worse due to whatever reason.

I'd move on and see if someone else would either rebuild it or get a new one.

Anyone have any problems with limit rebuilds? I had my te-60 rebuilt few years back 06' due to shaft snapping like a wash rag in center section, When shipped back to me the wheels were locked up? WTF so i shipped back to Chopper on my dime again, He replaced housing? Said it was bad? Quality control must have been on vacation this day, second time around i noticed the turbo was smoking lightly upon install but since car is not driven much, less than 150 miles year, I thought maybe somthing wasn't seated maybe needed broken in, Well the smoking got worse, little embarassing at cruises pulling in smoking with 34k on the clock.
I again removed the turbo and shipped back to Chopper, Today i get call telling me turbo is wasted complete rebuild needed again? less than 200 street driven miles on this turbo, no racing 5 yrs since rebuild asked for some help with the turbo and response was $50 off rebuild? $575.00 and shipping again? Are u f ing kidding me...Rippoff so i see another brand on my car after $750 purchase, $625 rebuild 127 shipping and get 200 miles outta it? oil starvation was his reply....well the stocker was not shreaded and matter fact was perfect after 34,000 miles?...Anyone else had problems with Limit, I was informed long ago(12 yrs) when i first got into Turbo Buicks that limit was the "MAN" in Turbo's Well i got real bad taste from him this time around, once maybe...but you dont get me twice....Just really fed up with this whole operation Any Sugestions? Ball Bearing turbo? Another Brand for sure.
same thing happened to my friend kept sending it back and it would return worse than before 3 times at least. they went down hill in service. he too kept getting tagged with more fees

Not going to bash, but I went thru 4, before I change to Precision, and it's been going for 3yrs!

Well my issue is all cleared up on my unit now. Would be nice to get that $50 back for shipping though.

Boostjunkie saves my a?? again... Called shawn and again he comes thru he had another 60 and not only delivered and installed in 30 mins or less...lol... flying again.....Faster than Domino's...Thanks again Man....Boostjunkie Rocks. Thanks Shawn

Funny how times change. Back in the day I had a precision turbo that had the thrust bearing go out on a new turbo with about 100 miles on it. Precision wouldn't warranty it so I sent it to John Craig and he repaired it free of charge even though it was Precisions fault.

Boostjunkie saves my a?? again... Called shawn and again he comes thru he had another 60 and not only delivered and installed in 30 mins or less...lol... flying again.....Faster than Domino's...Thanks again Man....Boostjunkie Rocks. Thanks Shawn
glad to see your up and running. shawn is fast for getting them back up and running as for me i am down again with a blown headgasket. i hate these cars.

Headgaskets common with these cars.....i was at point to go the big block route ...i am down to one turbo car now so i think gonna hang in there.....Boostjunkie fires me back up everytime i get buickdepressed...lol.....he is the man and Is truely the best in town gonna make this one a rocket in spring and drive it i sat on one for 12years and only put 2100 miles on it...wasted time and money gonna run this one hopefully now my sons getting older and can enjoy it too..wont be limit turbo i know that...i dont believe in bashing but i do believe in standing by your product and told chopper that on the phone and didnt want to hide behind keyboard and throw stones...but new precision in the horizon i believe...

...i dont believe in bashing but i do believe in standing by your product and told chopper that on the phone and didnt want to hide behind keyboard and throw stones...but new precision in the horizon i believe...

I know how you feel,I bought a used freshly rebuilt turbo, rebuilt from a well known member here and I got the run around when it started to smoke with less than 100 street miles. So off it went to Percision, just waiting to see what it is going to cost me. I knew I should of bought a brand new turbo from Percision, but I had a lot of trust with this person because of there great reputation, at least I would of had a warrantee. Now a days when someone tells you if you have any problems to contact them means nothing. So after said and done I will probably have the same amount of $$$$ in this old school journal bearing turbo than I would if I bought a new 5857 billet unit, oh well live and learn I guess. But like you I don't like to trash anyone, that's why I am leaving the persons name out of it. So brother I feel your pain! Thanks for letting me vent.