Lifter tick?

Out of curiosity, do you put a gasket on aluminum headed engines? I was scared to put my headers on without a gasket between them. Mine has it, hasn't blown yet. Knock on wood.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The pressure in the ex is still there no matter what header is used and for what it's worth a non f'd with set of stock headers is flatter than any other header I've ever seen. No gasket means no gasket to blow out. I've r&r headers hundreds of times. They seal best when no gasket is used and both surfaces are flat without pitting.

What's "non f'd" mean?

No kidding. I trued up one of mine and good god what a pain. The setup was easy but there was no feed speed of cut depth that made the workpiece happy. I ended up tearing down the setup, grabbing some dials, and using a press to "precision get as close as I can" then put it back on the surfacer.

I glued a piece of sand paper to my father's jointer machine. Fixed the warp that the welds put in it. Also made it pretty darn flat. That's what I would do. If you have access to any kind of machinery like that.

What would you say would be a good tolerance to look for? Like with what feeler gauge and straight edge? What would you toss and what would you keep.
I never went that far but less than .005" should seal up well.

Last edited:
I glued a piece of sand paper to my father's jointer machine. Fixed the warp that the welds put in it. Also made it pretty darn flat. That's what I would do. If you have access to any kind of machinery like that.

A piece of marble threshold or granite would work too.

Last edited:
There is a local shop near me that has a belt setup for surfacing cost me 80 bucks they do lots of work on circle track cars.

Mobile larrym

I cringe every time I hear so someone using a belt sander to 'flatten' anything on a car. They don't make shit flat. (except to the untrained human eye)

Back when I used to resurface heads and (diesel exhaust manifolds) it used to take me FOREVER to get the radiused leading edges and sanding scratches out of workpieces.

I cringe every time I hear so someone using a belt sander to 'flatten' anything on a car. They don't make shit flat. (except to the untrained human eye)

Back when I used to resurface heads and (diesel exhaust manifolds) it used to take me FOREVER to get the radiused leading edges and sanding scratches out of workpieces.

I have used a "belt sander" to resurface heads in upper engine class. It works perfectly. It's not the typical belt sander, and is made specifically for heads, but it's still a belt sander to me lol.

Those are the ones I used to go behind. It sucks when you have to take another .010" off a head just to clean up low spots between the fire ring and water ports. ESP stuff like DT466 diesel heads that are made of a iron/diamond alloy. The dial indicator don't lie.

My straight edge and feeler gauges don't either :) Though it is easy to screw up on one of those if you don't understand the dynamic of how the thing operates. That's most likely what happened. Most people don't have good finesse with their hands like I do.