Lifter tick?

Yeah, but you haven't even identified what the noise is. There's a chance you don't have to kill a running car to fix the noise.

Yeah, but you haven't even identified what the noise is. There's a chance you don't have to kill a running car to fix the noise.

I had narrowed it down to the back of the passenger side head but the air box is in the way so I havnt gotten further. and I ordered some gaskets for the entire exhaust yesterday since I have other leaks anyway. I'm just preparing for the worst case scenario in case the exhaust isn't actually making the noise like I think it is

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Putting a new lifter on an old cam can go either way. Any engine under warranty with a bad lifter got just the bad lifter replaced when I worked for a dealer. In most cases, there was not a problem. Those were low mile engines. On an older engine with stock springs you may be OK. There is however, always the risk that the lobe and the lifter could wear rapidly.

Have you gone under the car to check the convertor bolts to see if they are loose? The only real gaskets for the exhaust you need are the headers and the three bolt turbo gasket. If you have a aftermarket down pipe that can go on with nothing or a little copper rtv. take sometime out and check out your exhaust pipes even aftermarket ones crack.

Have you gone under the car to check the convertor bolts to see if they are loose? The only real gaskets for the exhaust you need are the headers and the three bolt turbo gasket. If you have a aftermarket down pipe that can go on with nothing or a little copper rtv. take sometime out and check out your exhaust pipes even aftermarket ones crack.

I will check them when I take them off. The exhaust around the turbo has 2 small leaks so im just going to replace all if them

Take a good look at the header where it steps in mine was cracked in the low spot.

Mobile larrym

Well my new set of Rimflex gaskets came in! :D I got a exhaust housing inlet gasket, a downpipe gasket and header gaskets. Any advice on putting them on??

My advice is to not use gaskets between the manifold and head or turbo and manifold. The exhaust pressure will blow them out and it will have a real big exhaust leak after it happens

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Well all my worrying about bad lifters can finally be gone for now because I got around to pulling off my header and this is what I found. Anyone who has owned a GN for years has probably seen a header gasket like this on a routine basis. But I can tell you that I've never been more glad to see a blown out gasket in my life :D

Attachments

• 1405748514260.jpg
    1405748514260.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 191
  • 1405748526193.jpg
    1405748526193.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 186
Here's the other side, you can see the other ports ready to blow too. Not sure what brand these things are.. they're over 10 years old BUT only have like 7-8k miles on them :confused:

Attachments

• 1405748751650.jpg
    1405748751650.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 165
Take them in and get the flanged surfaced and eliminate the gasket. That's how they came from GM.

Mobile larrym

Take them in and get the flanged surfaced and eliminate the gasket. That's how they came from GM.

Mobile larrym

No offense to you in particular, but no matter where I read, everyone has their two cents on what to do with headers. :confused: Gasket, no gasket, felpro, rimflex, copper, rtv.. I can see why I shouldn't use a gasket on the turbo-to-downpipe flange. I can see that the majority consensus about stock manifolds is to not use gaskets because it worked the best from factory, but when I do searches about aftermarket headers, people can't agree on what to do. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough but that's the way it seems.

For me I was alway pushing gaskets out. Checked my flanges with a straight edge and decided that they needed to be faced. I had planned to run a gasket after they were staightened up but decided I would try them without. Worked great on both my stockers and my old kennebell sets.

Mobile larrym

For me I was alway pushing gaskets out. Checked my flanges with a straight edge and decided that they needed to be faced. I had planned to run a gasket after they were staightened up but decided I would try them without. Worked great on both my stockers and my old kennebell sets.

Mobile larrym

Well I I'm gonna see how bad my flanges are and if they're ok I'm just gonna install the Remflex ones. Hey what should I use on the turbo to DP? RTV? I don't feel like finding out my wastegate puck won't seal because of a gasket

Dude, listen to Bison and others that say no gasket. Stock, aftermarket no matter, make sure the flange is flat and bolt them up. Done. You'll thank us later.

Well then I put nothing on it? No thin layer of silicone? Just metal?

No offense to you in particular, but no matter where I read, everyone has their two cents on what to do with headers. :confused: Gasket, no gasket, felpro, rimflex, copper, rtv.. I can see why I shouldn't use a gasket on the turbo-to-downpipe flange. I can see that the majority consensus about stock manifolds is to not use gaskets because it worked the best from factory, but when I do searches about aftermarket headers, people can't agree on what to do. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough but that's the way it seems.

That's because there's a lot of people like yourself that mentally believe you have to have a gasket. (did you notice how your old gasket material was hanging into the ports and all carboned up?)

Well then I put nothing on it? No thin layer of silicone? Just metal?

Instill them however you feel best. Odds are you'll be pulling them back off when they fail. Don't feel bad though.... blow a few sets of gaskets (and warp a few manifolds doing it) and you end up with the experience it takes to seal up the exhaust system . :)

The pressure in the ex is still there no matter what header is used and for what it's worth a non f'd with set of stock headers is flatter than any other header I've ever seen. No gasket means no gasket to blow out. I've r&r headers hundreds of times. They seal best when no gasket is used and both surfaces are flat without pitting.