Lifter tick?

12lepler

Hi everyone I just bought a 1986 GN, and I thought for sure it had an exhaust leak, but upon further inspection I found that the noise seems to be coming from the passenger side valve cover. I'm hoping it's just maybe a loose rocker, but if it does turn out to be a lifter, making the noise, do I HAVE to get a new cam? Or can I just replace the lifters? Any help would be appreciated

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If it's the one of the lifters, you're got an engine job in your near future that involves going all the way down to the bare block.

Pull the valve covers. If you're luckly it's a broken rocker button, broken rocker shaft, or bent pushrod.

If it's the one of the lifters, you're got an engine job in your near future that involves going all the way down to the bare block.

Pull the valve covers. If you're luckly it's a broken rocker button, broken rocker shaft, or bent pushrod.

Why so in depth? Would they only make noise if they were wiping the cam?

Get a stethoscope. They're 5 bucks at an auto parts store. It might still be a cracked exhaust manifold, or gasket going out. Many people have been fooled by this. Ask me how I know.:confused:
Let us know what you find.

Mike B.

If it turns out that I would need lifters, what should I be prepared to buy?

Last edited:
^^^Keep in mind that Earl has been known to pull the engine to change the tensioner pulley :LOL::eek:

His car was also stolen with the engine destroyed too. The block needed vatted because a few of the lifters lost their convexness :)

Get a stethoscope. They're 5 bucks at an auto parts store. It might still be a cracked exhaust manifold, or gasket going out. Many people have been fooled by this. Ask me how I know.:confused:
Let us know what you find.

Mike B.

I still need to buy a stethescope but I looked around the turbo and such, and found a leak where the turbo meets the manifold, and another leak where the turbo meets the downpipe. I'm gonna fix those but it doesn't sound like it's coming from them. Is there an easier way to see if the manifold is leaking? If those seals on the turbo are leaking I wouldn't doubt the ones on the manifold are leaking too. They're aftermarket headers so they shouldn't be cracked, but I'm pretty sure they were installed like 10 years ago so I wouldn't doubt if the seals were leaking.

Last edited:
Get a small mirror to check for cracks and leaks in hard to see areas. Look for exhaust trails from the leaks.

Ok so I bought a stethescope today and after some listening, I don't hear the ticking near the lifter valley. I hear it the loudest by the rear of the passenger side head. It sounds like it's coming from the manifold... or the crossover pipe... or maybe a rocker. problem is of course it has to be in an area surrounded but incredibly hot pipes so I can't reach in without getting burned or having the stethoscope melt.

Ive had 2 ticks in my day, the louder one was a hung up lifter , the quieter one was a main bearing...hopefully you got the louder one...

Use a 3 foot length of 5/8" heater hose and listen through it. You will hear the leak loud and clear when you get near it. A lifter can collapse and be noisy. You can just replace it if that is the case. If the lifter is concave on the bottom, you will be doing what Earl said. Hope it's just a header gasket.

Use a 3 foot length of 5/8" heater hose and listen through it. You will hear the leak loud and clear when you get near it. A lifter can collapse and be noisy. You can just replace it if that is the case. If the lifter is concave on the bottom, you will be doing what Earl said. Hope it's just a header gasket.

So if it IS just a noisy lifter and it isn't worn down I don't HAVE to replace the cam?

Just replace the lifters. That's what you've been wanting to hear.

I'll be happy to help you with rebuild options when the time comes.

Just replace the lifters. That's what you've been wanting to hear.

I'll be happy to help you with rebuild options when the time comes.

well if that is the problem i just don't feel like totally tearing apart the car I just bought