L67 F-bird

Its back together. Need a few hours of misc work before it goes in, mostly wiring and converter bolts. Fuel rails is just -6 extrusion from http://www.rossmachineracing.com/dash6.html that I threw on a mill. Used a 3/4" endmill and cut an 8 degree notch every 4.25". Then I went .300" deep with a 14MM endmill, and then drilled a 1/4" feed hole. Chamfer the entry, cut to length. Tap ends with a 9/16-18, used -6 ORB hydraulic fittings since I hate blue/red AN stuff and hydro stuff is easy to get. Then brackets got built, drilled some holes, put in some #10 cap screws, tapped, assembled, done.

REAL close. The plug is turned down and the threads overlap the feed hole just a bit but 1/4" is more than enough to feed 1 injector. It cant get any shorter.

Had to trim part of the dust shield off the alt, fitting hit it and it couldnt go shorter

So I thought I would throw a bit more up. Motors in, and runs. The PS pump gushed fluid so I took it off and the front seal is toast. Ordered a rebuild kit since the remaned ones are $70 and seal kits are $15. Gotta bleed the breaks, throw the swaybar, hood, and hook up the wideband and a few hours on HP tuners and it should be good.

Its done(ish)! Have MAP and knock sensor issues but it starts and drives, cant ask for much more, haha! Got the wideband hooked up logging through the EGR also. Needs a bunch of tuning but all the wrench stuff is done.

That's what you think.;) I'm sure something will happen, after all, it has a Buick engine in it.:p

So ive put like 1500 miles on the new setup, happy with it. Already at 66% DC on the 60lb injectors so i will be right at 98% on corn. :rock: Not bad for guessing on injector size! Was hoping i could sqeeze in E30 on the stock pump but that isnt happening. And thats on low boost, once I get a 2.8 or whatever on there they probably will be past 100%.

Right now im running 8PSI with a 3.4" pulley on 89 and getting a tickle of like 1.5 degrees of KR come and go on a stock 98 GS timing table so 13.5 degrees WOT. Was going to throw a bit more timing in but theres no reason. 91 would take some timing or hooking my window washer injection up would take care of it but E30/E50 blender pumps are available so im not going to mess with that.

Track day is on Aug 31 so hopefully I can get my slicks back on and run for 13.50's.

I may be doing the same for one of my old customers soon. Feel like making one of those flipped necks for me if he comes through with it?;)

I start taking multivariate calc and a few other tough classes so my time allowance is going to rapidly decrease in a week so im going to have to pass. I didnt weld it anyways, and I never took measurements so its super tough to get anywhere.

Ran a 13.97 at 96 with a 1.97 60 today in 88 degrees and high humidity on a hot lap right after a 13.98 with 1.94 60ft. I usually see 42lb/min of airflow and I was seeing 38lb/min and my injector duty cycle was like 3-4% down so I was down on power from when I looked at it in 60 degree weather few weeks ago. Timing was 16 degrees and 7.8ish PSI on a 3.4" pulley.

Was shooting for 13.60-.70 since a 2.8 and corn should get me into mid 12's but I dont know if thats going to happen. Something with this RWD setup not being as fast as it should be compared to the FWD cars.

But it hooked good. Got 14.08 for quite a few passes and I couldnt crack 13's but I bumped the air press down to 20 in the DR's and did a little longer burnout and it hooked/pulled JUST good enough to break 13's.

Not sure if cold weather would have helped a lot or not. Nothing was running real fast. Took out half dozen $30K cars with my $5K winter beater. New GTR that was running 10.50's consistent blew the diff on a launch. Fixing thats going to cost more than what I got in the car. Lolz.

Also found out my fuel pump is too small. I have a vette regulator thats supposed to put out 60 PSI but I got a fuel press gauge and found out it really puts out 50. Much over 5 PSI it drops down to about 39 PSI. Need to get the walbro 255 ive got laying around in before I do much anything else.

But, the good news is I dont get any KR with 7.8 PSI on 89 so a 2.8 should work great with E30 which is what I kinda want to mess with.

Got my gopro video uploaded and edited too.

Once you get the fuel pump changed go to a smaller pulley on the super charger. A little more pressure for the E-30 and I'd bet you'll do better.;)

Good progress , that was some pretty crappy air you were running in , just good racing weather should get you mid 13's , fix the fuel issue and pulley down with the corn your headed for cracking 12's

Keep up the good work !

As for not comparing favorably to fwd cars with similar mods that's easily explained.Your not yet making enough power to take advantage of rwd's traction advantage as shown by your 96mph trap instead you are fighting the added parasitic loss of turning a transmission , u joints ,driveshaft , rear differential &axles , compressing a coil spring suspension etc.. Vs. just a transaxle/half shafts

Oem's put most of their passenger cars on fwd platforms because they are very efficient at transferring average hp/torque into fuel economy (and sales) at attractive pricing due to ease of power train packaging with transverse fwd .

Getting an l67 w body into the 13's on a few simple bolt ons is easy , try getting one into the 11's and you will wish you had rwd traction.

I start taking multivariate calc

I just finished all my maths for my ME degree and hated every second of it haha. Finish them the first time and keep every page nd note you take because if you have to take more then one level it all just builds off the last class. Good luck regardless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I ran it through a corrector and the DA was like 2800, corrected its a 13.50 at 99. Makes me a bit happier.

If you plan on selling old performance stuff lmk. Gonna start doing some light mods to the GTP. Car looks good man!

Thanks!

If anything running the 60's and cam has increased the driveability. Car starts great on the vette regulator and returnless rails. Starts in the mornings great. Idle hangs randomly sometimes, only real complaint. Stopped all oil leaks finally too! Gets the winter tires on in a few weeks and gets turned into winter beater.

Wish I had some stuff. Got a stock cam laying around, thats about it. :)

This was a amazing read, Good work on the car and good for you sticking with the hardships of what happen to it!

Thanks. Car sits in the garage now. Bought a durango and running that this winter.

Unfortunately the car lost cyl 1. Has compression and everything, just missing. Has spark for sure, just cant get it to not miss. Too cold to really fix it so I gotta look into fuel injector wiring. Have a feeling the ground wire to the ECM wore through or something. Has fuel getting to the cylinder. Thought the injector might have been stuck but I swapped #1 and #3 injectors and it still misses. Have a feeling the harness has to be gone through.

cool build! one thing to consider when running alcohol is that it attracts water and just a little too much will get past the rings and leave you trying to find that mysterious water leak and usually evaporates fast enough that it won't show up in a test. just a thought. and another tid bit your first gear is definately not your 60ft problem as you found out, think about how many cars run 4.56's with th400's that seem to hook I've been racing for 25 years and never had a street tire hook

Did a little diagnostics on why it was running so bad.

Resulted in this,

Took 2.5 hours, dropped outta there!

Yep.

Broken ls6 valvespring. Stuck weather im going to change out just that spring and button it back up or get a set of new not ls6's.