Knocking converter

mike_stahl2000

I have a 87 grand national with 88,000 miles. The engine is rebuilt, not sure about the trans. I pulled the inspection cover and I can see part of the input seal and it looks new (can see the bright orange). The converter appears stock ( D5 stamped all over it). I hear what would almost be mistaken for a rod knock but it's a little different. A rod usually has a two count knock and this is more like a 1 count if that makes any sense. I started the car on the lift and did the old screw driver to the oil pan and trans pan, trans pump, trans case, starter and engine block and nothing but it has this knocking sound right in the converter area. I checked the flywheel bolts, looked for cracks in the flywheel, the bolts holding the flywheel to the crank all appear to be tight. Now this is all while at idle. It sounds the same when I put it in gear as well. The engine has great oil pressure at idle and while driving. It seems to shift fine. 1st-2nd is hard as hell, 2nd-3rd is a soft shift and so is 3rd-4th. It down shifts great. And I don't notice any slippage. That's about as descriptive as I can get. Any ideas? I live in Rhode Island so if anyone would like to link up let me know.

The 1-2 servo in the 200-4r's on TR's is why they have a harder shift on the 1-2 shift, that's normal to experience on these cars.
With the engine off, can you verify the 3 bolts holding the torque converter to the transmission are all snug and none have started to become loose?
Years ago i had one of those bolts come loose and it made a bit of noise like what you're trying to describe.
Needless to say that one bolt managed to of worked it's way completely out and it ate the transmission along with having damaged the torque converter, i didn't find out in time to avoid a repair bill. Might want to check that if you haven't already.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would disconnect the converter and try again. See if the knock is gone. I'm in new Britain CT if you want to bring it down.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Yes I checked all the bolts, however I didn't think to try taking them out and running the car, that may be something to try in the spring because I don't think it will see the road again. This week ahead is suppose to be rain and then I'm off to a school for two weeks shortly after that. Once the salt hits the ground this thing is done. But who knows, managed to avoid snowing thus far. Bison I wasn't really looking for someone to try to check out the noise, just looking for some friends with turbo regals to hang out with. Thanks

The OP just described the same problem I am having perfectly.

I have a new converter and i have also narrowed the knocking sound down to it being the problem.

Sorry for the hijack but, Bison, I would be interested in that offer.

D

Check crank end play....
Will do, thanks for the idea. So I will pull the bolts and see if the crank moves this spring. Is there a particular way I should go about checking the end play? Or just take a prybar and try pulling the flange on the rear away from the block and repeat the same on the front side?

Will do, thanks for the idea. So I will pull the bolts and see if the crank moves this spring. Is there a particular way I should go about checking the end play? Or just take a prybar and try pulling the flange on the rear away from the block and repeat the same on the front side?

You can use the pry bar. No need to disconnect the converter.

Spinning?? You check the end play w/ the engine OFF.
I haven't done anything. I am making a list of stuff to check in the spring. I'm not going to put it on the lift every time someone gets an idea. I'll wait. It's in storage mode at this point

Where in RI are ya? I'm in the nw corner of the state, let me know when your out of hibernation I'd be more than happy to help ya tinker...Mike

Where in RI are ya? I'm in the nw corner of the state, let me know when your out of hibernation I'd be more than happy to help ya tinker...Mike
Hi mike, I'm located in Warwick. Sounds like a plan.
image.jpg

Mike is a good guy.
He's helped me with my car a few times and we got it running well.

D

Mike is a good guy.
He's helped me with my car a few times and we got it running well.

D
I've been looking to connect with other buick turbo enthusiast locally anyway. So would be nice to meet up once the nice weather returns. I hibernate during the winter. I just go to work and go home. That's basically my routine for the next two months lol

It's good to have local members active on the board, especially when it comes to troubleshooting and what not, it never hurts to have someone close by...Mike

I haven't done anything. I am making a list of stuff to check in the spring. I'm not going to put it on the lift every time someone gets an idea. I'll wait. It's in storage mode at this point
If you don't want ideas, don't ask for them. Pretty simple.