Kimbo Slice fight on CBS NOW!!!!!

Carano NEVER NEVER NEVER makes weight. Even before she was on Gladiators she never made weight. When she's the face of women's MMA in North America (Bring back Erin Toughill, dammit), its far better to take a 12% purse reduction (They probably didnt make that much anyway so I bet it wasnt a big hit) and stay undefeated and the golden girl than it is to go out there and lose by fighting, oh I dont know.. IN YOUR ACTUAL WEIGHT CLASS! I will give her props for almost pulling off a gogo tho.

My problem with Kimbo is that Elite is protecting him. They're building him up as the face of their company and hand picking opponents to make him look like some kind of MMA god. Thompson was supposed to be a gimme for Kimbo.. fortunately Colossus watched a lot of DVDs on Kimbo and figured out the perfect gameplan. Thompson got robbed. The ref gave Kimbo a gift courtesy of EliteXC.

That's the problem with having Gary Shaw at the helm of anything. As fishy as boxing has become, having a boxing promoter running an MMA organization just begs for people to scream WORK and stuff like this makes it all look like a reality.

Gimme a break about Carano..........140 vs. 144.5, do you really think this is enough that she won the fight because of weight????? I doubt there are that many women fighting MMA right now that they can just run out and grab anyone to put in the ring. I'm sure with the men there are a ton of them at each weight class......Carano won because she was a better striker, plain and simple.....not because of the weight difference. Give it a rest already....I agree with you on Kimbo though!! :biggrin:

Gimme a break about Carano..........140 vs. 144.5, do you really think this is enough that she won the fight because of weight????? I doubt there are that many women fighting MMA right now that they can just run out and grab anyone to put in the ring. I'm sure with the men there are a ton of them at each weight class......Carano won because she was a better striker, plain and simple.....not because of the weight difference. Give it a rest already....I agree with you on Kimbo though!! :biggrin:

What do you think she started cutting from? I guarantee you 3 days out she didnt weigh 144. Kaitlin weighed in 1# over (Allowable since not a title fight) and Carrano was HUGE compared to her. I bet you come fight time there was a 20# difference between the two.

If you cant make weight consistently, which she cant.. she misses weight WAY more than she actually makes it, she should move up a class. It's disrespectful to the people that actually make weight not to mention an unfair advantage.

No way the fight should have been stopped in the second round. Kimbo wasn't getting hit that hard or that often. If you're not being hurt then what does it matter if you're defending yourself or not?

By the same token I think it was stopped too early in the third. Here was a guy with a "questionable" chin taking everything Slice could throw so either his chin is better than advertised or Kimbo doesn't hit that hard after all. They should have at least let it go until he went down.

I think the fact that his disgusting ear was spurting blood all over the place pretty much doomed him, though.

No way the fight should have been stopped in the second round. Kimbo wasn't getting hit that hard or that often. If you're not being hurt then what does it matter if you're defending yourself or not?

By the same token I think it was stopped too early in the third. Here was a guy with a "questionable" chin taking everything Slice could throw so either his chin is better than advertised or Kimbo doesn't hit that hard after all. They should have at least let it go until he went down.

I think the fact that his disgusting ear was spurting blood all over the place pretty much doomed him, though.

I think Thompson just wanted it that bad, Kimbo's punches looked pretty damned hard to me. Thompson came to win, unfortunately that fetus of an ear he has didn't.

Carano NEVER NEVER NEVER makes weight. Even before she was on Gladiators she never made weight. When she's the face of women's MMA in North America (Bring back Erin Toughill, dammit), its far better to take a 12% purse reduction (They probably didnt make that much anyway so I bet it wasnt a big hit) and stay undefeated and the golden girl than it is to go out there and lose by fighting, oh I dont know.. IN YOUR ACTUAL WEIGHT CLASS! I will give her props for almost pulling off a gogo tho.

My problem with Kimbo is that Elite is protecting him. They're building him up as the face of their company and hand picking opponents to make him look like some kind of MMA god. Thompson was supposed to be a gimme for Kimbo.. fortunately Colossus watched a lot of DVDs on Kimbo and figured out the perfect gameplan. Thompson got robbed. The ref gave Kimbo a gift courtesy of EliteXC.

That's the problem with having Gary Shaw at the helm of anything. As fishy as boxing has become, having a boxing promoter running an MMA organization just begs for people to scream WORK and stuff like this makes it all look like a reality.

I wasn't condoning her not making weight. I think it is unprofessional. Just throwing more info in the discussion.

There is a 135 and 145lb weight class and they made a 140 class just for her and she still can't make the weight.

She shouldn't blame the Gladiators. If she can't do both she should choose just one and be the best at it.

There's ALOT of opinions on Kimbo. You know how I feel about it which coincides with Kimbos famous expression.."A Ni&&as gotta eat". :biggrin:

What do you think she started cutting from? I guarantee you 3 days out she didnt weigh 144. Kaitlin weighed in 1# over (Allowable since not a title fight) and Carrano was HUGE compared to her. I bet you come fight time there was a 20# difference between the two.

If you cant make weight consistently, which she cant.. she misses weight WAY more than she actually makes it, she should move up a class. It's disrespectful to the people that actually make weight not to mention an unfair advantage.

You're arguing against something that obviously has been thought of ahead of time and a rule put in place for it. No rules were broken apparently and the other fighter had the option to not fight, so what's your point? And it's the weigh in that counts, not what you weigh at the fight. When they weighed in it was 140 vs. 144.5, yeah...that's a huge difference :rolleyes:

And you are out of your mind if you think that extra weight is an unfair advantage. I watched a fight series in Japan where a 138 lb guy beat all competitors and won the tournament even against heavy weights........I also remember watching the UFC when it first started where there were no weight classes and little guys won against big guys all the time.........it's obvious you just dont like Carano and are using her weight as an issue to tear her down....oh well.

29fuzns.jpg

slapmpgwn5.gif

You're arguing against something that obviously has been thought of ahead of time and a rule put in place for it. No rules were broken apparently and the other fighter had the option to not fight, so what's your point? And it's the weigh in that counts, not what you weigh at the fight. When they weighed in it was 140 vs. 144.5, yeah...that's a huge difference :rolleyes:

So someone who walks around at 205 and someone who cuts to 205 are going to be the same on fight day? You obviously dont know anything about cutting weight. A 15# cut is common these days with even more extreme cuts happening regularly. I bet Carano cut down from ~165-170#s and didnt make it. Whether the weight was a factor or not, who knows. It's still not fair to Kaitlin, who made weight. My point is that if Carano wants to fight in the 140# class, she should make weight. What did you expect Kaitlin to do? It's national TV, good exposure for everyone.. do you really think she's going to turn down that opportunity? If she had bailed out of the fight, Im sure Elite would not have had her back.

And yes.. there are rules in place. However, if this had been a title fight, she would not have been allowed to compete, even if both competitors agreed on a catch weight.

Also, you act like this isnt a common issue with Carano. She NEVER makes weight. She has missed weight more times than she has made weight. So what if everyone agrees to fight her anyway. If she cant make weight, she needs to move up to a different weight class where she can make weight.

Chicks fighting is huge is Brazil. There are tons of girls that I have seen fight on Bluedog (i think thats the name) that would hand that chick her ass. Weight IMO was not the deciding factor of why she won. She was just better all around at striking, kicking and everything else she did. Side by side they looked evenly paired. The better fighter won in that case, cause even if the other girl was 10 pounds heavier then she was, she still would have lost. She was just out gunned.
The Robbie L fight was good though, I just hate seeing when judges decide your fate. the guy was good to go, they should have let them continue. Although the guy said he must have broke his hand because it was killing him and Robbie probably would have knocked me out eventually. I don't know where that medical chick comes from but I have seen her stop more fights for BS then anything I have ever seen. She is definately on the pay roll.

So someone who walks around at 205 and someone who cuts to 205 are going to be the same on fight day? You obviously dont know anything about cutting weight. A 15# cut is common these days with even more extreme cuts happening regularly. I bet Carano cut down from ~165-170#s and didnt make it. Whether the weight was a factor or not, who knows. It's still not fair to Kaitlin, who made weight. My point is that if Carano wants to fight in the 140# class, she should make weight. What did you expect Kaitlin to do? It's national TV, good exposure for everyone.. do you really think she's going to turn down that opportunity? If she had bailed out of the fight, Im sure Elite would not have had her back.

And yes.. there are rules in place. However, if this had been a title fight, she would not have been allowed to compete, even if both competitors agreed on a catch weight.

Also, you act like this isnt a common issue with Carano. She NEVER makes weight. She has missed weight more times than she has made weight. So what if everyone agrees to fight her anyway. If she cant make weight, she needs to move up to a different weight class where she can make weight.

Chill man, yes I do know about cutting weight...I wrestled in high school, know all about it. I never said they would be the same on fight day. I just said that the weigh in date was the day they had to make weight. We all know after they weigh in they all go out and pig out........Your argument relies too much on speculation and not fact. Were you there with a scale and weighed her in at 165-170? You act like she did something wrong by getting down to 144.5, I don't get it and yet she was allowed to fight, what's the problem???????

Just answer this, if it is such a big issue with Carano making weight then why hasn't something been done yet? I think maybe you are the only one having an issue with it while the rest of the world don't really see it as the issue like you...did Gina whoop your ass one night or something and now you are out for revenge???? WTH has got you so pissed at her????? :smile:

The last time I watched a whole event it was like UFC 5 and there were no weight classes, hell there was only one rule, no biting.

I like the weight class rules, and the 5 minute rounds, but let them go until one submits, gets knocked out, or dies. :eek:

Not making weight is disrespectful to the sport. IMO it also should be embarrasing for the fighter. I wrestled in HS too and would be right at 2% body fat and still have to cut weight to compete (usually about 3lbs of liquids), but I would make weight to compete, and at the 105# weight class I was way bigger than most people in that class, which did make a big difference. One match I weighed in at 105 exactly at around 8am. By the championship round 6 hours later I was at 117#. That was 5 lbs over the class above me and 2lbs just shy of being too heavy for 2 weight classes above me. If she cant lose 4 lbs for a big fight it shows lack of character to me.

i'd love to see a Brock lesnar vs Kimbo slice fight. Brock would destroy him and they are about the same in their mma skill levels.

Come one, are you serious with this comment? He was the main event! When you think main event, you think the best of the best...........if EliteXC is going to make money off of this guy by promoting him as a main event then by god they need to put up some good competition. Bo Cantrell????? Out of shape and aging Tank Abbot????? And now this guy last night (Thompson) who has been KO'd in his last 5 of 7 fights........come one, not main event material! The girl fight was the best of the night in my opinion........:biggrin:

Are you serious is the question to be answered. You are faulting and hating on Kimbo for the actions of Elite-XC. Elite pumped up this bout and made it the main event not Kimbo. You can't fault Kimbo for enjoying the payday especially when he hasn't promised anything. Elite-XC recognized the potential payday that Kimbo represents for them and are doing everything they can to capitolize on it and you are faulting Kimbo for it. Are you serious?

^^^^^I agree!!! I have seen people lose 4.5 lbs in a few hrs, she knew she was still not at weight. She should have had her ass up the night before for as long as it took to lose that 4.5 lbs. And to add on it is also disrespectful to your opponent....5 layers of clothes on a bike in a steam room would have had that weight off! She knows she could have done that but didnt want to and that says something about her character and it isnt good.
Kimbo is a decent fighter for his experience and although he looks like a thug he is (from what I have read and seen) a pretty nice guy. The thing I dont like is all the hype they put into him, if it wasnt for that he wouldnt look so bad when he looses (if he fights Brett Rogers next he will) He is being compared to Mike Tyson for crying out loud! someone up above said "Do you expect him to beat the very best right away?" well if he is being compared to Mike then yes I do.....because Mike beat the hell out of everyone they put in front of him. His ride is coming to an end, they are going to have to give him someone good very soon and everyone will see that he is far from being mentioned in the same sentence as Mike Tyson.

Are you serious is the question to be answered. You are faulting and hating on Kimbo for the actions of Elite-XC. Elite pumped up this bout and made it the main event not Kimbo. You can't fault Kimbo for enjoying the payday especially when he hasn't promised anything. Elite-XC recognized the potential payday that Kimbo represents for them and are doing everything they can to capitolize on it and you are faulting Kimbo for it. Are you serious?

Um, reread my quote please "if EliteXC is going to make money off of this guy by promoting him as a main event then by god they need to put up some good competition." Where did I say Kimbo?????????

^^^^^I agree!!! I have seen people lose 4.5 lbs in a few hrs, she knew she was still not at weight. She should have had her ass up the night before for as long as it took to lose that 4.5 lbs. And to add on it is also disrespectful to your opponent....5 layers of clothes on a bike in a steam room would have had that weight off! She knows she could have done that but didnt want to and that says something about her character and it isnt good.
Kimbo is a decent fighter for his experience and although he looks like a thug he is (from what I have read and seen) a pretty nice guy. The thing I dont like is all the hype they put into him, if it wasnt for that he wouldnt look so bad when he looses (if he fights Brett Rogers next he will) He is being compared to Mike Tyson for crying out loud! someone up above said "Do you expect him to beat the very best right away?" well if he is being compared to Mike then yes I do.....because Mike beat the hell out of everyone they put in front of him. His ride is coming to an end, they are going to have to give him someone good very soon and everyone will see that he is far from being mentioned in the same sentence as Mike Tyson.

Right on!

Well it is not like James Thompson is a can.....the guy fought in Pride and had some good fights against alot of great fighters. The thing I dont understand is why did they put Kimbo up against the loser of the fight with James Thompson and Bret Rogers? Rogers knocked Thompson out in like the first round so why didnt he get the fight with Kimbo? What kind of since does that make? its like saying "ok the loser of this fight is going to get a title shot!" wtf? Rogers also fought last night and knocked his opponent out in the first and said he wants to fight Kimbo. So it will happen and Kimbo is getting f'ed up when they do

Joshua