Kids these days

jpratt

The last two people I have hired at my shop to do basic phone calls, faxing, and general paperwork lack the basic skills that I take for granted.
Both these people have been mostly homeschooled Christian HS graduates. Watching them try to make a long distance phone call has cracked me up. They don't know to dial a 1 before a long distance call. Then after I teach them that they try to dial 1 plus area code even for long distance calls. One of them tried faxing a paper for 30 minutes then came to me saying it was not working and again I had to explain to dial 1 first.

If the fax machine had PS4 or XBox controls they'd be right at home. Or fax via text.

currently cutting it the F loose

Its def a generation gap. Im sure they prob know pdfs etc now. Using a cell no need for one and faxes in their mind have no.purpose. email it

The current generation that is entering the workforce has been pampered. They don't take criticism well and they need to be constantly reminded that they're doing a good job or they lay down. Mostly because of the parenting style and schooling that is used these days. The real world is much different than they are taught. I call them the candy ass generation.

Its def a generation gap. Im sure they prob know pdfs etc now. Using a cell no need for one and faxes in their mind have no.purpose. email it
I've found that with the current pocket computers you can get apps that will turn a pic into a PDF or file of your choice and it can be messaged or emailed within seconds. No need to jerk around with a fax machine

I think the lack of effort put forth is in question here. Not the efficiency of technology. I run through dozens of servers and kitchen staff annually. I don't pat people on the back for nonperformance....I ship'em.

I think the lack of effort put forth is in question here. Not the efficiency of technology. I run through dozens of servers and kitchen staff annually. I don't pat people on the back for nonperformance....I ship'em.

Yup. People are just lazy asses

That's the lesson I'm teaching.
"You suck.....you're fired"
:)

The young generation blah blah blah. Socrates talked crap about the young generation thousands of years ago, just like our grandparents did about our parents generation, and our parents did about our generation. Just in case you thought I made that up -
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” - Socrates

It still surprises me how many small businesses are still not Web/email connected. :confused: Where I work, the fax machine is still heavily used for correspondence. Heck, even large distributors still prefer to fax their orders in.

But hey, Western Union didn't stop telegrams until around 2006. :wacky:

The young generation blah blah blah. Socrates talked crap about the young generation thousands of years ago, just like our grandparents did about our parents generation, and our parents did about our generation. Just in case you thought I made that up -
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” - Socrates
But they had ethics. It was called "kill or be killed"

i had a kid ask if you could text on a beeper?
i told em if you sent a 9009 or something like that , and turned the pager over it would spell boob,thats how we texted back in the day

Bullshit, everybody expect's everything to be handed to them on a plate these days, you don't have to work for it , it's your right because you are here and didn't ask to be...

It's true. I've been hearing this stuff my whole life haha.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Essential basic skills change with each generation. With technology they are changing even faster.

I don't solely blame this New workforce generation, I blame the parents who are raising children as 'friends' instead of 'parents'...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app