I'm back after 14 years!

DARTHV6

Hello all!
It's been years since I have been on this site. I retired, was diagnosed with cancer shortly after and now feel strong enough to get back in it! 14 years ago I built my GN to the high 10's with only a few phone calls and help from this forum. Pretty good for a guy who never raised a wrench on a car before that! Now that I'm old, my next goal is to take this stock GN engine I've held on to for 20 years and just rebuild it. I have forgotten everything I have learned 14 years ago, but if anyone is willing to give me some pointers I'm all ears. I think I want to rebuild this engine and get it running. That would probably be the easiest as opposed to building another 10 second motor. But then again, It's so hard not to try to make them faster ain't it??

I'll post my questions in the engine section when I get started but where is the best place to find guides, pictures, part descriptions to rebuilt? Let me throw in there..for the old guy who still doesn't know what he's doing after all these years?

Thanks for the help,
Art
I'm back!
2018-07-21 17.32.19.jpg

Good luck I’m sure there is some info on the forums I’m all so interested in this top myself welcome back to the turbo Buick addition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there something wrong with the engine you have? I ask because I wasted a lot of money my first round 25 years ago thinking that I needed to build one with forged pistons, rods and crank and there was nothing wrong with my stock long block. Wasted a lot of money back then.

Welcome back.

Welcome back! Glad you are healthy and ready to get back to action.

Is there something wrong with the engine you have? I ask because I wasted a lot of money my first round 25 years ago thinking that I needed to build one with forged pistons, rods and crank and there was nothing wrong with my stock long block. Wasted a lot of money back then.

Welcome back.

Scott,
Thanks...Good to be back! Nothing wrong with the engine I have. It's still in the GN, Sitting there waiting for me to get back into it. I drive it around but haven't taken it to the track in years. The other one I want to work on has been on an engine stand for 20 years. I have no idea what that one needs but now I'm retired, I have time to mess with stuff.

These days there are a lot of options but building a short block with the right parts is expensive. It’s easy to drop $5k in a short block. Picking the right person to build the short block or long block is the most important decision you will make if you decide to build the engine on the stand.

These days there are a lot of options but building a short block with the right parts is expensive. It’s easy to drop $5k in a short block. Picking the right person to build the short block or long block is the most important decision you will make if you decide to build the engine on the stand.

Thanks for the links. I have seen the old one but not the other. Yes, a very expensive retirement hobby. Better than working, you think? <wink!>
Thanks,
Art

Welcome and glad to hear your health has improved!

Not sure is you do Facebook or not but if so check out Steve Vs Automotive. He makes very detailed videos of all the work he does. He also has a YouTube channel as well.

Good luck on your build!

Not sure is you do Facebook or not but if so check out Steve Vs Automotive. He makes very detailed videos of all the work he does. He also has a YouTube channel as well.

Good luck on your build!

Cyclops,
Thanks for the tip. I started following his page. That's exactly what I need because I'm a visual person. On the "downside" it's gunna make me not just want to rebuild the stock one the stand but make it faster, as always!

Art

Good luck on your build!

Cyclops,
Thanks for the tip. I started following his page. That's exactly what I need because I'm a visual person. On the "downside" it's gunna make me not just want to rebuild the stock one the stand but make it faster, as always!

Art

That’s what keeps it interesting lol

Art! Good to have you back! Funny thing, I was out for 14yrs as well and just got back into this scene with a one owner 1987 T! We met a few times in Lansing and then life happened. Hope to connect up so we can cruise and tinker on cars!