Just Installed Billet Journal 6265

Raymond Bunch

"Turbo Enthusiast"
Hey guys/Gals - Just got it via UPS and it was installed last night in about 3 hours. I didn't want to start it up or anything until today though, didn't want to wake up my neighbors with all the excitement. I also just wanted to make sure everything was buttoned up properly the next morning. It's alway's good to take a break and re-evaluate after a long day's work and then fiddling with the car:wink:

Anyhow before someone ask.... I did not port the wastegate hole. I figured this car will always be set on kill mode, so if I ran 25-30 PSI consistantly I was good with it. Obviously, I will take my time and watch all the gauges and scan master very closely.

Well, the first drive today was amazing. To be safe before the actual drive, I added some fuel to the chip and turned up the Alky, after going into the black box and advancing the factory settings a hair. Afterwards, I turn the gain knob on the PAC back to 6, timing was 24 - 22. I also still had the 28x10.5 MT slicks on from a previous track outing. I never take them off any how believe it or not. I drive close to 100 mi round trip, race then drive back home. Car 60ft 1.52 - 1.58 too:smile: I hope to continue to do this with all the new power I just tapped into...

Anyhow, I rolled into it to be safe, there was absolutly no turbo lag what so ever, this thing spooled very fast with my 2800-3000 vigalante stall. I felt the torque convertor lock up and holy crap. TT set it too lock up at 75mph, I could not believe how much faster this car was than with the TE-44. I looked over at the boost gauge and it was rock solid at 27-28 psi! I had just 1.6 knock while I was in it. I'll give it a little more alky, possibly more fuel and be done with it.

On a side note: With the TE-44 the car (Full weight, AC, front/Rear sway bars still on, stock shocks and springs) ran 7.1-7.2 consistantly in the 1/8. I'm hoping to see some 6's this Fri-Sat when I go to the Arm Drop Live in Mobile, AL The guy from Pink All Out (Rich) is starting a new show I guess and will be there doing his thing. More than anything, I just wanted to represent the Turbo Buick community while having fun. Good news is, it's limited to only 200 cars, I might just have a chance.

I'm not talking this turbo up, with the right mods, tuning of course who know what the limit of this turbo is in our cars.

My mods are - 62-65 turbo, 205-210 Comp roller cam, GN1's, Kenny Bell Roller Rockers, intake port matched, 60lb Motrons and TT Chip, Poston Header, Extream Automatics Stage 2, Vigalante 2800-3000 stall, Precision FMIC, 70MM throttle Body, Precision 70MM Plenum, Razor Single Nozzle ALKY Inj, Fat/Skinny Convo Pros, stock suspenion with air bags!

I'll let everyone know how the turbo performs this Sunday....Hopefully I wont break something:wink:

Ray

Rock solid. :D

LOL...I probably should have put "Rock Steady" Guess I was rushing, I had to get my two boys to basketball practice.

I'll try and get some pics up soon. I also might be going to test and tune tonight in Mobile, AL. As of now, forecast shows rain for Fri-Sat :mad: Never fails! More to follow....

I hope you're tuning with more than just a Scanmaster with those ETs.

Get a wideband on that thing and some real data logging software.

Thanks ray, I am looking forward to more data.
Someday I will be motivated enough to get mine on. LOL

I hope you're tuning with more than just a Scanmaster with those ETs.

Get a wideband on that thing and some real data logging software.

whats wrong with a scanmaster ??? :confused: if ya see knock get out :wink:

Good News and Some Bad

Guys/Gals

I'm back a day early as Arm Drop Live crammed everything into one day on Friday due to rain being forcasted on Saturday.

Good New - I did manage to get a couple of passes in.

First pass - Ran an 6.80 with a 1.76 60ft. Car was all over the track past the 60ft, got in and out of it a couple of times and shut it down due to some knock. Still went through at 93 mph though.

Second Pass - Ran an 6.62 with a 1.54 60ft, the car felt really good out of the hole and was a handful again past the 60ft. After getting it under control, looked at my o2milvolts and knock was 15 something. I got out of it and coasted through at 91 mph.

Car started to run rough and the typical white smoke makes an appearance.:redface: Turns out I eneded up blowing a head gasket, I'm sure you already figured this one out. lol

Anyway, got it back to the pits and found the problem after hearing a vacume/suction leak. Just so you know, I run a Precision 70MM Plenum/Accufab TB combo with the RJC Power Plate. I was aware that one of my bolt holes in my intake was stripped out, which in turn caused my plenum not to seal properly. It blew the plenium gasket outward causing, I'm pretty sure a lean condition during WOT. I thought this was fixed as I went with a slightly bigger bolt and at the time is was ok, (tight) atleast I thought. Probably came loose during my 80 mile trip to the track. Well, I grabbed the plenum bolt and could turn it, and knew that was my problem.

Anyhow, I'm going to tear it down over the next couple of days and get that intake fixed. Hope to be up and running again soon with a couple of added additions, wideband and Dual Nozzle upgrade for the Alky. More to come...:)

Kenny - Your right about the wideband, I will be getting one this time around. Although, this is my second blown head gasket in 9 years, 8 Turbo Regal's later:wink:

Ray

Sometimes we have to learn by the big hammer hitting us in the noggin. btdt.

Sounds like you're ready to move up to a dual nozzle on the alky.

Second Pass - Ran an 6.62 with a 1.54 60ft, the car felt really good out of the hole and was a handful again past the 60ft. After getting it under control, looked at my o2milvolts and knock was 15 something. I got out of it and coasted through at 91 mph.

Ray,

Care to share the rest of your combo? Sounds like 6.4s or 6.3 might be attainable with this turbo with your combo. If so that is really close if not in the 9s. in the 1/4 mile. Maybe I missed it, but how much boost/timing? Think this turbo or the 6765 will be my next. Thanks in advance.

John

Amen to that Grumpy. Although in my case this time around. I didn't see mine until it was too late, trying to keep the car under control:wink:

Get the Audible Knock sensor from Caspers. When its Screams at you the foot comes off the gas right away. Good times so far! Keep it going!

Ray I ran this through the good old tci calculator for 1/4 conversion.
10.4s with you having some opportunities is pretty impressive.
I hope you get her back into shape really soon.
This sounds like a really strong turbo for most Buicks.

+1 on the audible knock detector.....

Congrats on some awesome times for a little journal bearing 62 turbo....

Sorry about the HG....

What boost were you running?

In thinking about your misfortune... IMHO... a blown gasket from the doghouse to lower intake would likely leak boost to atmosphere... but that air was already metered..... it should actually make the car go more rich under boost.... but more lean under vacuum.... because the extra air being sucked in during a vacuum condition would be un-metered... just an idea...

with 15 knock... I suspect you were real lean.... or boost/timing was higher than you were running in the past or both....

Are you tuning with a wideband? What scantool are you using to datalog?

6.60's ought to be easy sub 10.50's if she pulls all the way out the back.... did you lock the converter?

Again... very promising times from a smallish turbo. I would like one myself....

Ray,

Care to share the rest of your combo? Sounds like 6.4s or 6.3 might be attainable with this turbo with your combo. If so that is really close if not in the 9s. in the 1/4 mile. Maybe I missed it, but how much boost/timing? Think this turbo or the 6765 will be my next. Thanks in advance.

John

John - Mods are - 62-65 turbo, 205-210 Comp roller cam, GN1's, Kenny Bell Roller Rockers, stock intake port matched, 60lb Motrons/TT Chip, Poston Header, Extream Automatics Stage 2, Vigalante 2800-3000 stall, Precision FMIC, 70MM throttle Body, Precision 70MM Plenum, Razor Single Nozzle ALKY Inj, Fat/Skinny Convo Pros, stock suspenion with air bags with 15psi Left / 25psi Right.

I adjusted the TT chip before making my first pass.

First run - Didn't look but assume 27-28psi, 22-21 timing

Second Pass - Didn't look again but assume 27psi-28psi, 24-21 timing, added +5.5 more overall fuel, -1.6 fuel in first gear only for spool up.

Overall I think there is a lot more left in this turbo, my car wasn't even close to being tuned and went this fast getting out of it on both passes.