Just curious-who pays for damage in a sanctioned drag race?

gmmuscle

I carry classic car insurance on my 86 GN and my 72 Monte Carlo. Have been know to stop by the track a few times and know not to bother calling my agent if I have an accident. This lead me to wonder is there a gentleman's agreement if you wreck the other guy?

Carl

This happened to a friend of mine. A "gentleman" might agree to pay for some of the damage, but doesn't have to. In my friend's case his new-at-the-time Trans Am was totalled.

The racer is responsible for nothing if he/she wrecks the other racer. Race at your own risk

The only other flavor to this is some road racing.

At least in the Grand-Am stuff, there are race-car rentals. You pay a (large) fee to drive a race car for the weekend. You crash it, you pay to get it fixed. But you are still only responsible for the car you are driving.

Some of the teams that rent "seats" will ask for a "crash deposit" up front.

Bob

hey kevin .. Your plates loose !! Or was that g - force ..
zip ties! It was a temporary fix that turned into a permanent fix. Kind of an inside joke between some friends I have. I used to get sh!t about my use of zip ties lol

once you drive thru the front gate at the track and sign that nifty little waiver that no one ever bothers to read, you are on your own.
and that's just how it should be.

you will find that most insurance ( classic or std) does NOT cover your car at a racing event, (participating)
read your coverage closely.

as others have said your on your own. I do know a few guys that helped each other with some parts an labor. BUT don't count on that !

Seen plenty of instances where it was 100% other guys fault but have yet to see anyone offer to pay for damage they caused.

Peter