jet ski no start question

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
Not much help can be had on pwc forums, so I figured I'd try here since everyone is always so helpful on topics. :)

I have a 1996 Kawasaki ZXi 1100 jet ski that had been running perfectly up until last weekend. It's an 1100 three cylinder two cycle engine. After running great for 20 minutes and then sitting for about an hour, I went to start it for the return trip to the dock and it would not start. The starter engaged fine. I pulled the plugs and they were wet with fuel and each one produced spark when cranking. I mistakenly choked it, so I figured I flooded the heck out of it. I let it sit for 30 min, but it still wouldn't light up. I ended up getting a tow back to the dock from my dad, which is quite a humbling trip at 5mph.

Back at the dock, I checked everything over and put some clean plugs in. It still wouldn't start even though I had fuel and spark. I have no idea what to check next. The owners manual is next to useless in the troubleshooting section. It says to check the fuel filter, misuse of choke, pressure in the fuel tank, fuel vent line clogged (don't even know where that is and they never mention or picture it in the manual) I know I misused the choke, but how do you clear a flood? Just let it sit for hours? It did start once an hour later when I was farting around with it, so I shut it off quick (no neutral) and ran to get my life jacket so I could run it out. Needless to say, it never started again. I am going back up this weekend and I hope it starts because it will be such a pain to take it out of dock and haul it somewhere.

Try a little Ether spray on the intake. The carb could be suspect, as in dumping fuel.

I had a 96 ZXi 1100. Did the same thing. I kept a can of starting fluid under the seat. Fired right up everytime. I know this isn't a fix but it worked for me.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will give the starting fluid a try. Where in the heck do you spray it in? Do you have to take off the air intake cover? I don't remember where the air intake pipe is, but I'm sure I could find that. :)

Thanks!

p.s. I recently read that this model of ski has starting issues and a lot of people put in a primer kit (a bulb attached to the reserve fuel line) and it makes starting a breeze.

If you have fuel on the plugs, a primer will make it worse. But a primer is a good thing on a healthy ski. You really need to go through the carbs every 2 or 3 years and change the filter and check valve. If the check valve is bad, you may get pressure build up or a vacuum in the tank. Sometimes cracking the gas cap will tell the story. Fuel stabilizer is your friend as well, even if it is only stored for a few months. Agree with the above advice on the greenhulk website, I wish that was available 20 years ago.

Well, here's the update. I went up to start the ski again and it wouldn't light up. I decided to dig a little deeper, so I unbolted the air intake cover and popped off the three flame arrestors. I hate doing this kind of stuff because it is on a jet ski lift and one wrong move and either I or a part go swimming. Anyway, as soon as I got the arrestors off, the problem showed itself. There is a duct (part 14073 in this picture)going from each flame arrestor to the carb and one had rotted a big hole in the side. Guess where the missing piece was? Right down sitting on top of the butterfly for the carb. After fishing this piece out, I inspected the other two ducts and they were rotten and brittle as well. A trip to the local Kawasaki dealer got me three new ones for freaking $45, which is essentially three rubber toilet paper tubes with a flange to mount to the carb. Grrr.

At least it runs now. Thanks guys.