I've had enough...and I need help.

John84GN

Nice Monte...
I've had enough of my car, and I don't know WHAT to do, WHERE to go, or WHO to see. My car is running like crap, and I just don't know where to go from here...

I don't want to convert it to an 86-87 powertrain (although that's what I've been told to do), I don't want to add an intercooler, and I don't want an 8-second drag car...I just want what I got, (see sig) to work properly, and reliably...is that to much to ask?

Is there a guru or a VERY reputable place that I can bring my car to, and work with someone to get my car up to par? I have built many engines (350's, n/a regal 3.8's, ford 300 I-6's) and have had no problems. What I'm trying to say is that, all in all, I get along quite well with cars, and would even consider myself somewhat knowledgeable...but this "grand national" thing is driveing me NUTS! I've had it for about 3 years, and it's starting to boggle me. I don't want to bring my car away somewhere and say, "here, fix this." I want to work with someone...hands on...and actually LEARN, so I can do it on my own...

Is anyone out there "somewhat close by" (I'm not driving to Colorado or something) that will ACTUALLY really take a weekend and help a brother out? I know that many of you may want to help, but I'm not looking for a "weekend warrior" who thinks they "know" enough...I want and experienced someone who truly knows HOT-AIR '84-'85 GN's backwards, forwards, and inside-out...I'm willing to drive, and willing to learn, and that's all I can do...

Anyway, sorry for the rant...and I'm not intending this to sound like I'm "DEMANDING" that someone takes care of me...I'm just a frustrated hot-air owner, like you, who knows enough to mention that I don't know enough. Thanks. ;)

John

I don't know of anyone in your area but in the meantime, why don't you let us know what the car is doing. I've been working on my hotair and my friends' hotairs since '95

cool 84...

It's not just one thing...it's a whole host of things...I know enough to look at the search menu's first, and we all know that there is TONS of info here in the Buick community, but I really think I need some hands on instruction...there has to be SOMETHING that I'm just not getting!

I don't know how to use the turbolink system that I have, so I'm not much help there (ie - o2 millivolts, blm's...etc...). What I guess I'm trying to say, is that I want someone who'll honestly spend some one on one time, and not get frustrated at my lack of knowledge...no offense - seriously. I hope I'm not portraying myself as being an ass by whining, and being way too "specific in my demands"...I'm really genuine, and I just want to get my car up to par.

John

have you run the car? Have you done any major motor work were the top end has been removed? IF and when the car is running...What is happening? Is the car stalling out, or real bumpy, or just not running? Is there a lot of smoke, or does there sound like any whistling under the hood or under the dash?
If there are a host of problems, are there any lights in the dash on? On gnttype.org, there is a help page for computer codes under reference topics i think, or technical info. That is a GREAT place to start your quest...In the meantime, take this post and place it in the general tech forum, and this will help with finding someone more local to you, being that, that forum is obviously more viewed and by a larger number of people. Good luck, and report back to us!

John

well, tell the Forum, what kinda of problems your having
im sure we can shoot some opinions and ideas your way.

i can bet almost every guy on this forum has experienced the same crap with there GNs, at 1 time or another.

if we wanted easy cars. we woulda bought mustangs lol

Believe it or not, there isnt TOO much that could cause what ever problems your having. Dont make these cars out to be worse then they really are. Until the bolts ons up top they are typical old school GM motors. Even the bolt ons are for the most part just typical for FI motors (sensors, TB, etc.; of course not the turbo :rolleyes: ). Nothing really special about the make-up of the long block (rolled fillet crankshaft is unique; but that most likely has nothing to do with your issues). As stated just about anything your going through has probably been experienced. Your issues no doubt can be troubleshooted. Everyones eager to try to help out :) Cant even try unless you give a hint.

OK...

I guess your right...here goes...

1. There is an unmistakable "bird chirp" thats the best I can describe it...from 5 lbs of vaccuum to 5 psi of boost...just in this "window" and the performance doesn't seem to be hurt by it. This is more of an annoyance then a problem though. I just don't want whatever it is to BECOME a problem. When I installed the TA-33c from John Craig, I noticed that the bottom O-ring on the turbo-to-intake-adapter was split, and air was probably leaking out, thus causing the problem (I guess)...I got a new one, and reinstalled it very carefully (plenty of vasaline) in case this WAS the problem...NOPE...still there.

2. The car pulls hard to about 40 mph...like it should, I guess, and then, there is a noticeable flutter, kinda like it can't get out of it's own way, and once I hit about 65-70...it's a pig! Right now I'm running 13 gal. of 93 octane gas (Amoco) and 5 gal of 112. The boost is on about 16-18 psi, and the fuel press. static is 42. The weird thing is that the knock guage DOESN'T MOVE...NO KNOCK AT ALL on the guage...

3. Oil is pours out of the back of the engine somewhere when I runn it hard (I'm almost positive that it's the oil drain line from the turbo)...and I've gotten an 87 one to try next...one thing though...does the tube fit in the grommet being that it has "kinks" in it all the way down unlike the 84-85's?

Well there goes...lemme know and be specific if you can...

Thanks - John

Ok....First, you need to find that oil leak. Get a good flashlight, and get that car up on ramps. Make sure, and abosolutely sure it is not your rear main seal. If it is the metal pipe, oil will be on the topside of the flywheel, and most likely all over the bellhousing on your tranny. Check for that evidence. As for the whistle, what breather do you have on the valve covers? What intake is on your car? If it is a chirp, it could be a little movement in a part, but if it is a whistle, then air is going somewhere. I would guess a vacuum line or your vacuum resevoir. If it is only at 4 psi ish area, then it is a low pressure leak, so this leads me to believe it is somthing smaller than the turbo adapter. let us know about the oil and let me know about that sound you hear...Is it constant or just a chirp? Thanks John!

John M.

Hey john that deal you got goin on with the car slowing down at 40 mph's may be a clogged exhaust. Is the cat. original. Also the chirp try to find out if you notice it under the car, could be some movement in the exhaust system. Oh by the way under full throttle if you hear a jet noise, not the turbo, that is deffinetly a clogged exhaust. The noise should get louder with the more boost the car id putting out.

the exhaust is as free flowing as it gets...
- TA-33C
- 2 1/2" ATR downpipe
- test pipe w/ 3" dump
- and 2 1/2" exhaust w/ 2 ATR pitbull mufflers...

- I'm almost positive (99%) that the leak is the drain tube...guess the turbo's coming off again...! :mad: :mad:

- the intake...it's stock

- the breather is a billet riser w/ a K&N style breather

- As far as the chirp goes...it's DEFINATELY a chirp...not a whistle...it's not constant, meaning that it's not just one long noise...but a series of REALLY REALLY FAST chirps...like maybe about 10-15 in a 2-3 second time frame...

keep-um coming...thx

This will probibly sound stupid, but I have to ask. For that chirp, have you checked your belts? I have had a problem getting the A/C belt tight enough. Room is very short in that area.

As far as the oil leak, youve basically just got to do some good investigating. Ive got to say it again, dont make it seem harder than it really is. I know its hard not to, but dont get frustrated. There are only a few places the oil could be coming from, period. You say its coming from the back. When saying back of the engine, this doesnt mean back of cylinder heads? Make sure you can rule out valve cover gaskets leaking at rear. For that matter, when you say back of engine, are you seeing signs from up high or just around the tourque convertor/flywheel/oil pan area? Oil pan gasket and/or rear main seal are suspect if this is the case and top is more or less dry. If signs are from above you are left with the seal at the rear of the intake and the turbo oil drain tube. You say you suspect the drain tube. Well, if it were me, I would rather it be that than the other possibilities. 2 bolts for DP, 3 nuts for uppipe, unhook oil feed, snap off cables, few vac lines, and 3 more nuts! You shouldnt have to take the turbo assembly all the way out if the problem is the tube not getting all the way in the grommet in the intake. If its leaking from where the tube bolts to the turbo than of course yes you do. A good gasket and the two bolts tightened good and snug and you shouldnt have any leak issues at the turbo. When you reinstall the turbo/TB assembly I always lengthen out the drain tube and guide it in first then commence to pushing the turbo in place. Get your hand back in there and make sure the tube is in the grommet. Even push it in a little further if you can. I dont see how anything can leak out of there once pushed in the grommet.
As far as running like a pig. What are the O2s like, BLMs....
Also what is your vaccum like at idle, and make sure your TB blade is opening up all the way.