Is this the correct way to set up a distributor?

norbs said:
The stock sensor works fine but i can't put more than 37 degrees timing in for cruise, i usually run 45. ALso the timing map is into the 50-60 degree zone to get actuall timing, so i makes it more difficult to tune.
Is there a crank reference you need to adjust? The timing map should be the same as the timing on the wheel

Yes but its limited to 20 degrees to adjust, and when i put a number in there the timing actaully goes the other way, giving me less timing total. I will fool with it again today

Are you using the Buick ignition strategy? I would think that as long as the Crank Ref is close to the stock location, the timing would work just like a stocker. Adding a distrib shouldn't matter.

No that won't work as the signal is processed through the igntion module as a 5 volt square wave. The Speedstar crank trigger is on and its right smack on the timing as my map is now.

norbs said:
No that won't work as the signal is processed through the igntion module as a 5 volt square wave. The Speedstar crank trigger is on and its right smack on the timing as my map is now.

Norbs,

after all the trouble you've gone through with the distributor installation, how is the motor running with the new "Speedstar crank trigger" ?

You're running the ignition module? I thought you rewired it for 12 volt. Oh well.. at least you got it running.

George: You're old FAST is fine with the stock crank sensor in the stock location. You have a billet interuptor ring on your balancer.

HighPSI said:
You're running the ignition module? I thought you rewired it for 12 volt. Oh well.. at least you got it running.

George: You're old FAST is fine with the stock crank sensor in the stock location. You have a billet interuptor ring on your balancer.

Cal,

you mean I won't have to touch my balancer and interupter ring at all ??

George

Sorry for the confusion, i am not running an igntion module, but the buick strategy in the dfi is based on the c3 ignition module, thats why it doesn't work. I did wire the factory sensor for 12volt but for some reason the timing is out when the gen7 processes the signal regardless on how it set it up in the dfi

George, I just got it together and will be testing it soon, it starts well and runs well so far. Now I can use all the rev limit controls and safety's built into the gen 7 without worry. i will never go back to the c3 style setup.

oldtimer said:
Cal,

you mean I won't have to touch my balancer and interupter ring at all ??

George

That is correct.

Norbs: Thanks for the update. I'll have to look a little deeper into the DFI problems you had.

Well Cal i hope you figure it out for some other dfi cars you will probably doing in the future. I'd be interested to see if you run into the same problem or not?

norbs said:
Well Cal i hope you figure it out for some other dfi cars you will probably doing in the future. I'd be interested to see if you run into the same problem or not?

Norbs I have done 5 of these now with no problems like you describe. The dfi will work fine with the stock sensor 12 volt and hall effect. Put 9.91 on simpsons car. Steve went 9.66 at Norwalk same way. If I can get Chris to stop reading your post about it he will be at Indy with a distrib set up same as the others.

norbs said:
Sorry for the confusion, i am not running an igntion module, but the buick strategy in the dfi is based on the c3 ignition module, thats why it doesn't work. QUOTE]

You must use a custom strategy. Maybe this is why you are having issues.

Interesting, what settings did you use? Theres only 4 posibitlites to chose from. I tried them all!

crank falling spark falling
crank rising spark rising
crank falling spark rising

norbs said:
Interesting, what settings did you use? Theres only 4 posibitlites to chose from. I tried them all!

crank falling spark falling
crank falling spark rising

custom ( if set on Buick DIS will need 5 volt square wave signal will never work)

rising
falling
rising
disable
LT1 Hall effect
Flying magnet
The crank hi wire to B on crank sensor If I remember right. Works everytime.

norbs said:
Well it looks like i will be firing this up today. Will keep you updated, many thanks to Jeff for making such a piece of art! I am still doing the wiring with shielded wires. Please note i supplied the pulley as it is custom to use electric water pump with a/c and Jeff modified it to work, with even more timing adjustment built in. :biggrin:

Thank you Norbs, Speedstar crank trigger wheels and sensor brackets are the only ones designed as a dedicated system, unlike all other generic crank trigger wheels , that need alot of modifications to work. When you order my kit , you will recieve a billet T6 6061 Alum. crank trigger wheel and sensor bracket that is designed dedicated for a BUICK TURBO V6 ,the ECM , and the BALANCER / hub that you are using, It is indexed and marked TDC, also precision indexed full lines at 10..20 and 30 degrees, then half lines every 2 degs. from 10 to 38 degs, .Next the wheel is phased indexed to the ECM that you are using. I have designed all the trouble out and put more value in. These are the steps to use them. First, with the engine at TDC, bolt the crank trigger wheel on with its TDC line at the engines TDC pointer, next bolt the sensor bracket on and install the sensor in the adjustable slide at either the 6 , 50 or 60 deg. reference mark on the wheel, depending on the ECM that you are using,The 60 deg.setting is for an engine that revs 7500 rpm and higher Enter the crank ref deg. number[ GEN7- 6 DEGS., XFI- 50 DEGS.],next go to the ECM timing map and inter 20 degs in a group of cells at 2000 RPM, next START THE ENGINE :) and bring the rpm to 2000. With a timing light on #1 cyl. wire , check the initial timing, if it is 21 degs, move the sensor ccw 1 deg. If timing is at 19 degs, move the sensor cw 1 degs . YOUR TIMING WILL THEN BE PERFECT :) and smack on the map. So besides it working perfectly and making it PLUG AND PLAY, it looks very nice on the engine. This product is a needed advance in timing hardware design and is patent pending. I have produced crank trigger wheels for alot of popular professional racers and engine builders, and took part in R&D on the first DIS ignition that was fully programable with 8 timing curves and 6 spark duration settings and entered the market under the name , FIREPOWER DIS..... Thanks Jeff

IME the factory crank sensor setup works ok into the 7's as a digital crank sensor input. And saves considerable cash. But one problem is, the factory strategy routes the crank signal to the CCCI module 1st. When you remove the CCCI module you then have to take proper action to get the crank signal to the ecu properly. If I recall the LT1 (and the old 5.0 F*rd TFI for that matter) has the same crank ref angle and basic approach (considering the crank ref pulses) as the Buick approach and is basically equivalent. Can make either of those boxes work with the distributor. One caveat, if you drive a points type trigger input on an ignition box for the spark you need a rising edge signal out of the ecu to trigger it in the right spot. The FAST points out wire serves this purpose. The stock Buick system adds a Bypass signal to the CCCI, but who cares with a distributor and no CCCI.

TurboTR

You have a good point, but there is no adjustability to the crank sensor angle. I have tried all the settings and my timing was still 25 degrees out, i really can't explain why its so far out, unless i have a problem with the box not accepting the changes i am making :confused: .

NO sensor adjustabilty,But i just had the ring re indexed to 50*,No need for any further adjustment,The F.A.S.T can be adjusted right to spec