Is the racing dead?

I wasn't sure it was a serious offer. No one seemed to want to carry on with that topic.
I've been nicely asked to but out, so that's what I'm doing.

I want to go after Charlie gets his car together and see what the old girl is going to do. As well as having me a street car by then that is capable of 11s or even high tens.

There is a few of us in my neck of the woods that play pretty hard on a old air strip here cause the track is no fun with all the imports constantly wanting to race you.

I wasn't sure it was a serious offer. No one seemed to want to carry on with that topic.
I've been nicely asked to but out, so that's what I'm doing.

Serious as a heart attack. I have already discussed getting the money sent out because it is spent anyway, either to you or to sponsor TSL. Also, We can do it at Bowling Green this year and that would be my preference.:wink:

Serious as a heart attack. I have already discussed getting the money sent out because it is spent anyway, either to you or to sponsor TSL. Also, We can do it at Bowling Green this year and that would be my preference.:wink:
When is BG this year?

Not true with TSR!

TSR Has allowed them!

Right from the TSR rules:
"Engine 1. Any Buick V6 engine is allowed."

Turbo 1. ANY turbo mounted and oriented in the factory stock position is allowed including 4 bolt turbos.

Charlie, Please look through the TSR rules again with a fine tooth comb and post up where the rules show "each one of them have the specific rules that says FI only."

Also find where we do not allow cars with No I/C's..

Scot W.

First one that says we can't compete is this Scott. It also throws the 84-85 cars out because of no hydroboost systems?:confused:

17. The brake system must be a Power Master or vacuum boost operated, or manual brakes are allowed.

Second one that throws us out. We don't have coil packs.:biggrin:

5. The factory coil pack bracket and right windshield wiper rod may be modified for clearance IF using an aftermarket cast intake manifold.

Number three.

3. No distributor ignitions are allowed.

As I said, we can't even compete just to have fun.:mad:

I've been checking the racing sections for 3 years now Clint. I don't know how I could've missed it but I did. I check all the rules each year for some sort of changes that would allow the B4black guys to come and join in but each one of them have the specific rules that says FI only. We don't have FI or intercoolers. Most of us don't run electric fuel pumps either so we're really going back the roots of these cars. Hell, most of us don't have 109 blocks or a bunch of other restrictions that're in the rules.:mad: :confused:

Now keep in mind that this particular class that is not BUICK specific. This is from the 8.49 index as posted in the Nats section....

The payout will be as follows:

WINNER $500*
Runner Up $150*
Semis $50*
Entry Fee $25

*The class will run on a 5 car minimum to pay full purse, there will be a 20% payout reduction per car under the 5 car minimum. All index racing will be done on a heads up / pro tree format. Index racing is open to ALL mfr, makes, and models...

This is how this class has been ran since it inception AND will continue to be. Also a 8.49 is roughly a 12.49 qtr mile. I would also run a 13.49 class IF there was enuff interest. Also the reason for the all makes and models I hate to tell you is that in these times, unfortunately you CAN'T live on Buicks alone as an event and survive unless you have been running for over 3 decades..

LOL Isn't Google wonderful.
Give me some time to think about the offer, Jimmy. I'm going out of town next week, so I'll give you an answer after I get back.
If I do this, I will need to PM the engine first. Resources lately have prevented me from doing that, but it looks like there may be enough time to get it done.
I am very tempted, especially with the stimulating way you presented the offer :biggrin:, and I am seriously considering it, but I need to see if I can really make this happen, even with the generous help.

Now keep in mind that this particular class that is not BUICK specific. This is from the 8.49 index as posted in the Nats section....

The payout will be as follows:

WINNER $500*
Runner Up $150*
Semis $50*
Entry Fee $25

*The class will run on a 5 car minimum to pay full purse, there will be a 20% payout reduction per car under the 5 car minimum. All index racing will be done on a heads up / pro tree format. Index racing is open to ALL mfr, makes, and models...

This is how this class has been ran since it inception AND will continue to be. Also a 8.49 is roughly a 12.49 qtr mile. I would also run a 13.49 class IF there was enuff interest. Also the reason for the all makes and models I hate to tell you is that in these times, unfortunately you CAN'T live on Buicks alone as an event and survive unless you have been running for over 3 decades..

13.49 in the 1/8 seems to be what most guys expect out of the B4black guys so I thank you for that.:tongue: JK

Thanks for the info Clint. I do apreciate it and this may make it easier for some of the other guys to come out and play.:cool: There's lots of cars that are just right for this class and drivers that are capable. This also give me an idea of where my car needs to be on the 1/8 when I get her back together.:smile: Hoping for 8 seconds or better.:biggrin:

First one that says we can't compete is this Scott. It also throws the 84-85 cars out because of no hydroboost systems?:confused:

17. The brake system must be a Power Master or vacuum boost operated, or manual brakes are allowed.

Second one that throws us out. We don't have coil packs.:biggrin:

5. The factory coil pack bracket and right windshield wiper rod may be modified for clearance IF using an aftermarket cast intake manifold.

Number three.

3. No distributor ignitions are allowed.

As I said, we can't even compete just to have fun.:mad:
Well Charlie the way I see it is, if it has the factory brake system, factory ignition I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

It's not like a lot has to be changed but simply re-worded Properly.

I will go ahead and add the word "Factory" in those places for you guy's that should have been there in the first place and that should solve this issue right?

Making these kind of small amendments isn't detrimental to the class or a drastic rule change so I see no drawback to doing so...

Scot W.

Well Charlie the way I see it is, if it has the factory brake system, factory ignition I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

It's not like a lot has to be changed but simply re-worded Properly.

I will go ahead and add the word "Factory" in those places for you guy's that should have been there in the first place and that should solve this issue right?

Making these kind of small amendments isn't detrimental to the class or a drastic rule change so I see no drawback to doing so...

Scot W.

Thanks Scott.:cool: I would word it so that it's something like "factory for year of system or car" though. Norbs' has adapted an HEI to the SFI IC so that would keep it in line and fair.:smile:

I have 2 fast cars here and they aren't fun at the track or on the street, cause there isn't many cars around here anymore I can race or that even come out anymore.

However there is a ton of 11 second cars around and that will be where my next car I build will be for the fun of daily driving and having a fun car to race.

I thought about it, Jimmy, and I'm going to have to pass on the generous offer. I've just got too many irons in the fire at the moment. I'll probably kick myself in the arse later on in the year, but I don't want to hold up your timeline of where to direct your budget. Thank you very much for the offer.

i can tell you as a new tr owner , Aug .2010 , theres alot of information to assimilate on these cars , and it can get a little bit intimadating at times . asking questions isn't exactly second nature for me . so far , the sites has been very helpful and patient . as an investment these cars are a bust as soon as you start to upgrade things to go faster , you loose the origionality factor which retains the value . so if you aren't planning on keeping the car forever and making it your toy , which can be very expensive , and complicated , your probably better off to just stay away . then , where do tou find other tr owners to hang out with , locally . i've had mine for almost a year , and i've only ever seen one other at a gas pump , when i went to fuel up , by coinsidence . that was prety cool , and it drew alot of attention . other than that , i havn't seen another GN in NE ohio , ever . except in norwalk , where i watched a guy ride out a 40 foot wheelie in a GN , and i told myself then and there that im getting one of those . 5 years later , theres 1 sittin in the garage . it aint pullin the wheels yet , but i got it . i plan on getting more involved with the events , but i dont see it doing any 9 sec. passes in the near future . i did wana say thanks to all that answer the questions . i probly woulda got rid of it allready , if not for the help on this site...

i probly woulda got rid of it allready , if not for the help on this site...

My point exactly. This site is the glue that holds us together on the internet.

The tracks and events are the glue that holds us together in the real world away from computers.

Without the internet and car events to socialize and have fun.. The Turbo Regal is dead and its appeal goes down.

Thanks for posting.. keep reading is all I can tell you about the car. And make time to attend/participate in any event close to you.. every drop counts..

I thought about it, Jimmy, and I'm going to have to pass on the generous offer. I've just got too many irons in the fire at the moment. I'll probably kick myself in the arse later on in the year, but I don't want to hold up your timeline of where to direct your budget. Thank you very much for the offer.

Well Don, Thank you for considering it and letting me know. I can't say I am not disappointed. I really would have liked to see you come out. I would have liked more to taken a shot at you, I believe it would have been fun. My post didn't even seem to excite anyone, maybe the racing really is dead. Good luck in all your adventures, Jimmy

Went to the track last week seen mostly imports and mustangs I think Buicks are becoming the novelty act like the jet powered trucks when I was a kid.

Well Don, Thank you for considering it and letting me know. I can't say I am not disappointed. I really would have liked to see you come out. I would have liked more to taken a shot at you, I believe it would have been fun. My post didn't even seem to excite anyone, maybe the racing really is dead. Good luck in all your adventures, Jimmy
Don't get me wrong. If it wasn't for the distance, I'd be jumping on it in a heart beat (offer not even considered). I agree with you. It would be great to do a run off with you, or anyone else for that matter. I'm not known for being squeamish when it comes to a challenge, win or lose. That's for sure. If it's a close contest, even the more fun. Until later, Jimmy. Thanks again for the challenge. Got the blood pumping there again for a moment.

Don't get me wrong. If it wasn't for the distance, I'd be jumping on it in a heart beat (offer not even considered). I agree with you. It would be great to do a run off with you, or anyone else for that matter. I'm not known for being squeamish when it comes to a challenge, win or lose. That's for sure. If it's a close contest, even the more fun. Until later, Jimmy. Thanks again for the challenge. Got the blood pumping there again for a moment.

I'm following along, and if I could I'd go to BG. The budget doesn't even come close for me. I'd love to see any and all run. I attended 89-92 when I was single and had the money. I am just trying to figure out how I might be able to afford a little excursion to OK in oct.

It is about the money and the economy. I don't even like to go out to the local track to watch. A bunch of imports and real race cars, nice but not what I want to see.