Is my water pump working?

gndriver

Today I turned on the car and waited for the fan to kick on, I got ramcharger's dual fans. It usually opens around 155 degrees but today it started at 168. So I open the hood and decied to open the radiator cap to see if the water is moving and it wasn't. The temp was up to 178. I have a new 160 thermostat so I figured it might have been opening at 170, but water wasnt moving at any temp. So if the water is not moving does that mean my water pump isnt working? Any suggestions?

You say this is a new t stat. Did you put it in the right way? Also did you look at the T-stat and make sure that it said 160 on it before you put it in?

To check the water pump just take the belt off the car and turn it by hand. You should be able to feel if there is any play in it.

Good Luck

I saw the Tr Guru put it in. It did say 160 on it and was new. I'll take off the belt today and turn it by hand and see if that works.

Thanks Chris for the suggestion.

i DOUBT that it is the water pump man. If it was dead, your car would get a hell of alot hotter than 180, I don't care what type of fan you've got.

That's what I thought. I just found it strange that the water in the radiator was perfectly still with the car running at close to 180 degrees. Is that normal for the TR's? It hasn't been past 173 since I put those fans in there about 3 month's ago. So when the computer read 178 i was like ok that's wierd.

Just ordered a new t-stat I think you right Chris about it sticking. Oh and about you post count whats the matter dont like 666. Thats the begining to my work phone # lol:D

With the radiator full, you won't notice much in the way of coolant movement at idle. You have to get the level down far enough to see a row or two of tubes, and then there wont be much at idle.

rev the engine some and you'll see it moving!

Is the heat hot? If so, the water pump is working. I suspect you have an air bubble in there.

Take a heater hose off and see if the level in the radiator drops. If it does, you were airbound.

If it doesnt, you could still be airbound. Leave the cap off and let it warm up. If it gets to 2teen and the upper hose isnt hot, then something aint right. Shut it off and let it heat soak. This will usually make the t-stat open within a couple minutes. Feel the upper hose as it sits when the engine is hot. Once you start feeling the upper hose perculate (this is the thermostat opening and letting air out) start the car and top off the rad. Verify that the hose gets hot and the tsat is regulating temp somewhere around 160-170 and you should be golden.