Slightly Crooked Steering Wheel

NoVA_87_GN

Picked up my GN a few months back, been working on other stuff like fuel pump, hot wire kit, injectors, TT chip. Got that all done, moving on to suspension and I've been meaning to ask about my steering wheel. It seem to be crooked, when sitting in the driver's seat, the steering when doesn't point right at me, its slightly cocked to the upper left. The car pulls to the right a bit, so I figured an alignment was in the future, but wasn't sure what was going on with the steering wheel or the column. Anything specific I need to look for to fix this?

Picked up my GN a few months back, been working on other stuff like fuel pump, hot wire kit, injectors, TT chip. Got that all done, moving on to suspension and I've been meaning to ask about my steering wheel. It seem to be crooked, when sitting in the driver's seat, the steering when doesn't point right at me, its slightly cocked to the upper left. The car pulls to the right a bit, so I figured an alignment was in the future, but wasn't sure what was going on with the steering wheel or the column. Anything specific I need to look for to fix this?
Are you describing the steering wheel not being straight while moving, or the column not being centered in the dash?

Because the column won't be centered. They're offset slightly. The offset's even molded into the trim at the base of the dash.

Are you describing the steering wheel not being straight while moving, or the column not being centered in the dash?

Because the column won't be centered. They're offset slightly. The offset's even molded into the trim at the base of the dash.
I guess I'm talking about the column. When driving the center of the steering wheel doesn't appear to be pointed centered towards the driver, but is sitting slightly off towards the the upper left. Steering wheels turns fine, just seems off. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow.

I guess I'm talking about the column. When driving the center of the steering wheel doesn't appear to be pointed centered towards the driver, but is sitting slightly off towards the the upper left. Steering wheels turns fine, just seems off. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow.
Yup, get a pic so we can make sure something isn't horribly bent, but sounds normal. The column is not centered on the driver position, it's pointed off slightly.

Ergonomics and integration between the chassis teams and interior teams weren't at the level they are now back then. Stuff ended up slightly off, and they just modified the dash plastics to compensate instead of properly centering the column and aiming directly it at the driver.

Here’s that pic. Looking at it now and hearing from the forum, think it might be alright.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 48