Is 4g pretty fast?

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
So, in my qwest to reduce expenses, I came across the fact that Sprint has a $29.99 add on that enables their phone to be a wifi hotspot. Am I to believe this could eliminate my need for home internet service? I am thinking it might and with unlimited downloads within their network I am thinking it might work though I am not sure.

I guess the question becomes, is 3g/4g download fast enough to accomplish our home internet needs? I was thinking I would spring for it on two hand sets on a family plan in case one left the home site the other would be there. Only 209.99 a month plus taxes and fees(probably $245 or so I would estimate) this would give us mobile capability plus eliminate the home internet cost.

Anyone have thoughts or input? TIA

need to check if you even have 4G coverage in your area...I just bought the new EVO shift nice phone but no 4G coverage. "It's coming" they tell me. My nephew uses the hotspot in his house. I think you can run up to 8 devices off of it.

need to check if you even have 4G coverage in your area...I just bought the new EVO shift nice phone but no 4G coverage. "It's coming" they tell me. My nephew uses the hotspot in his house. I think you can run up to 8 devices off of it.

but is it fast..

It will be like any other kind of bandwidth; the less people on it the faster it will be (think cable internet).

It also depends on the carrier. Saying 3G and 4G is really more like model year than horsepower, if that makes sense. 4G Verizon probably won't be the same speed as 4G AT&T (if I recall correctly anyway), which one is faster than the other I have no idea.

In short, yes it will be faster than what you're probably using now; but I always go through my home wifi whenever possible, however, it seems to be less finicky around here.

Hope that helps!

The truth be told, in reality, despite how the carriers try to spin it, as of right now, there is NO one that is yet running true 4G. The 4G standard requires the ability for 100 mega bit download speed. And to date, NO ONE has attained anything even close to that in real world operations.

I am in the dfw metro area and by the look of the map I have the Sprint version of 4g at my house. I was looking at that evo. Sounds like it is better to get the $34 cable internet for about the same money.

I'm sending this from my Evo 4g, rooted with Cyanogen 7 RC2 ROM. You need to get on a android forum and see what all you can do with this phone! After you optain root access you have FULL control over your device... ie.. get rid of all the "bloatware" Sprint installs, no more adds, overclock or underclock for speed or extra battery, install custom operating systems (ROMS), FREE wifi tethering etc..... No need to pay the extra $30 a month trust me they got enough of my money over the years.

I'm sending this from my Evo 4g, rooted with Cyanogen 7 RC2 ROM. You need to get on a android forum and see what all you can do with this phone! After you optain root access you have FULL control over your device... ie.. get rid of all the "bloatware" Sprint installs, no more adds, overclock or underclock for speed or extra battery, install custom operating systems (ROMS), FREE wifi tethering etc..... No need to pay the extra $30 a month trust me they got enough of my money over the years.

^this

Im on the ATT network running a UnrEVOked rooted HTC Aria running liberated R012. I have both wifi tethering and usb tethering for free, im posting from my computer through it right now. Im running 3g right now so its decently quick, pretty much DSL speeds, not quite cable internet.

What cable internet do you have right now and at what speed do you download/upload?

Link to one of these forums?

My daughter's phone took a dump so I got looking into replacing it. $50 to get another like it. I had to opportunity to upgrade mine for $49.99 and got the privilege of signing another two year contract so I pulled the trigger on an HTC inspire. Near as I can tell it is an evo by a different name.

4g and I had an unlimited download plan and they are suppose to carry that forward. I am getting used to no keyboard and actually reading what I type.

On it now.

Sprint is going to sh!tcan 4G. The writing is already on the wall. Wimax makes battery life almost unbearable. Sprint is going to switch to LTE. Mark it down.

Sprint is going to sh!tcan 4G. The writing is already on the wall. Wimax makes battery life almost unbearable. Sprint is going to switch to LTE. Mark it down.

You're probably right. But it's like I said above. Anyone that thinks they're running true 4G is living a dream.

You're probably right. But it's like I said above. Anyone that thinks they're running true 4G is living a dream.

Im sure you're right there.

Sprint is announcing a new phone in about a week. Rumor is it will be an LTE phone.

Well, you know if they didn't keep coming up with bigger, better, faster, stronger they would get a paradigm shift put on them like when the wagon wheel and barrel makers had happen to them.

Either way this no key board is not near what I thought it would be like. I can type as fast here without as I could with a keyboard and itvis just as accurate. But I have learned I must read over what I typed or it sends out some pretty confusing stuff.

Oh, and this thing is quite fast even if it isn't true 4g. I am really liking it after three days.

Sprints 4g network not being true 4g is old news... I get 4g at and all around my home and run it all day long pulling 5mbps on the low end and around 8mbps when its really flying. That beats the hell out of both at&t and the Verizon network. As for the battery life when you use Wimax....That's easily fixed by using a app called setcpu.

Sprints 4g network not being true 4g is old news... I get 4g at and all around my home and run it all day long pulling 5mbps on the low end and around 8mbps when its really flying. That beats the hell out of both at&t and the Verizon network... As for the battery life when you use Wimax....That's easily fixed by using a app called setcpu.

Sorry for the double post I'm a newb ...

So, in my qwest to reduce expenses, I came across the fact that Sprint has a $29.99 add on that enables their phone to be a wifi hotspot. Am I to believe this could eliminate my need for home internet service? I am thinking it might and with unlimited downloads within their network I am thinking it might work though I am not sure.

I guess the question becomes, is 3g/4g download fast enough to accomplish our home internet needs? I was thinking I would spring for it on two hand sets on a family plan in case one left the home site the other would be there. Only 209.99 a month plus taxes and fees(probably $245 or so I would estimate) this would give us mobile capability plus eliminate the home internet cost.

Anyone have thoughts or input? TIA

It sounds like you're talking about tethering.
Here's a link you should read first:

[9to5Mac] AT&T Going After Jailbreakers? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net