Iron head flow numbers that I think you'll like!

So let me ask this.
What is the advantage to going to the TA heads vs the ported irons?

Are the TAs more of a fast burn design than the stock irons? What are the flow numbers compared to the worked iron heads?

You have to be quickly approaching the same cost for a set of aluminum heads vs the number of hours you have worked on the irons.

I understand the weight savings and that aluminum is more forgiving than a hot iron head in tuning.

Just throwing out a what if.....

Thx

On a 10.0 or slower car .. your wasting your money .. Cast irons with a simple cleanup is all that is needed at this level .. spend the money else where

Your heads look really nice and am sure they will perform great, but flow numbers are meaningless unless there is a comparison with various heads on the same flow bench and operator?

The flow numbers below were done in 2000 on a set of our max ported iron heads with new and larger valves. The same max ported head was flowed last month on a different machine and operator, and maxed out at 20 CFM less?

I am here not to bash your thread, but to point out that head flow numbers are not an absolute value as they vary depending on many factors.

View attachment 273412

Mike I agree 100%, leave the short side alone and just clean it up, as this is also applicable to the alum turbo heads we port.

Thanks Nick.

Here is an interesting point.......just for arguments sake lets say that the bench was kind to my heads. We'll just call the CFM X at this point, there is still no denying that the exhaust flow was still strong and increasing even @ .600 lift. The flow leveling on the intake side @ .500 was no surprise.

Another interesting point is why wouldn't the bench have been just as generous on the CFM below .300? The numbers below .300 are nothing special to me.

Last edited:
who's the MORON who checked Bad Spelling....smh like this is a spelling B or something

I though that was funny as well. I'll usually take a jab at someone's "fat fingered mistake" but this one was somehow posted anonymously.

So let me ask this.
What is the advantage to going to the TA heads vs the ported irons?

Are the TAs more of a fast burn design than the stock irons? What are the flow numbers compared to the worked iron heads?

You have to be quickly approaching the same cost for a set of aluminum heads vs the number of hours you have worked on the irons.

I understand the weight savings and that aluminum is more forgiving than a hot iron head in tuning.

Just throwing out a what if.....

Thx

Reggie, your right there is probably over 100 hours invested in the heads over the years. I still don't know if they are anything unique or worthwhile but I'm very encouraged by the preliminary flow results. Probably not a lot of guys dumb enough to spend hours on something like this either... so from that point of view any head out there would have been a better choice both financially and time wise.

You asked about "fast burn" ....I've been nervous from the beginning about completely destroying the flame travel in these heads but so far so good.
I've also looked at a lot of very complex combustion chamber designs that look really nice..... but in the end may be just a cool shape that doesn't do that much.

It's a lot of work but I'm enjoying doing a few thing that aren't common place and if it works I'll share it.

Reggie, your right there is probably over 100 hours invested in the heads over the years. I still don't know if they are anything unique or worthwhile but I'm very encouraged by the preliminary flow results. Probably not a lot of guys dumb enough to spend hours on something like this either... so from that point of view any head out there would have been a better choice both financially and time wise.

Hiring out takes the fun out of it. To me the time invested is just like any other hobby out there. On another note those are very promising flow #'s. Just a guess but I could see 400 rwhp on a true pump gas only tune.

Just a guess but I could see 400 rwhp on a true pump gas only tune.

It's already made 450 to the ground on the very first trip to the dyno using 93 only....no fine tuning at all. This is just the latest and probably the last round of port work.

Hiring out takes the fun out of it. To me the time invested is just like any other hobby out there. On another note those are very promising flow #'s. Just a guess but I could see 400 rwhp on a true pump gas only tune.

I agree with you. I'm interested in seeing Mikes results.

On a 10.0 or slower car .. your wasting your money .. Cast irons with a simple cleanup is all that is needed at this level .. spend the money else where

This has been stated many times "that the best dollars for HP gain is spent on the heads".

I prefer to NOT max out a build to its limit, but want reliable and consistent performance. I "play" in competition in the high 9's, and a recent typical run at 16 psi was 9.967 @ 136 MPH for a second place finish with a .062 second difference slower.

My TA heads are nicely ported, and there is more available if I wanted it.

We have done a few dozen or more engines with alum heads, and not only do we see performance gains, but reliability.

Just a couple months ago we trashed a set of max ported Iron head because of cracks in the water ports. Most all of the mis-fortunes with alum heads we have been able to repair.

A mid to low-10 sec. car is not cheap, but in the overall budget, the upgrade for alum heads is only a small part of the expense for what is gained!

Sorry for being a little off-topic Mike, but boost is restriction and better head flow is an important factor in reducing the restriction be it iron or alum!

Guys like you continue push the performance envelop which benefits all of us!