Iron head flow numbers that I think you'll like!

Mike T

Ok guys...I've started a (short) new thread on my self ported heads because quite honestly I think the other thread has run it's course and has probably lost the interest of a lot of the pro's.

A couple of my friends suggested not posting the flow results on the board because they will only be met with criticism or doubt. I want to post the result anyway just in case their is something new to be shared with everyone since I'm not in business and have absolutely nothing to gain.

The heads were dropped at a well known race shop here in central Florida who also has never met me or has anything to gain. Absolutely no instructions were given in how to test the heads.

The bench was a Superflow 600
28 inches
About 70 degrees

INT
.100 63 CFM
.200 115
.300 158
.400 188
.500 208
.600 207

EXT
.100 61 CFM
.200 114
.300 142
.400 164
.500 175
.600 184

my heads resized.jpg

Very nice.

Thank you.... they seem to be on par or average up until .300 and then they start to come alive. The intake is good until it falls flat at the typical .500 mark but the exhaust has me floored.

Last edited:
Look good Mike, just curious did they use a test pipe on exh. side, also don't happen to have runner volumes do you?Just curious as I have my engine apart and getting ready to buy some new heads for mine and thinking of going different route than champions.Thanks in advance.

Very nice. I haven't had a chance to mess with mine for a month but that give me some type of goal over the other heads. Seems if you want a bad ass pair of irons, do em yourself!

Very nice. I haven't had a chance to mess with mine for a month but that give me some type of goal over the other heads. Seems if you want a bad ass pair of irons, do em yourself!
Was that you turboelky that posted the flow numbers on a set of champions,id like to find someone that has them and also port volume to give a good comparison,thanks.

Was that you turboelky that posted the flow numbers on a set of champions,id like to find someone that has them and also port volume to give a good comparison,thanks.
I never said they were champion at the request of the person who lent me the head....but they are an industry standard iron head ;)

I really think a fair amount of the gains came from the combustion chamber changes. The flow test took place where they build 50 to 100 k engines and the guy doing the testing said he could see my thought process just by looking at the heads.

I see that you are very capable and I'm in no position to give advice but try to give yourself a little additional margin in the throat area. IE keep the throat size as close to 90 percent as possible.

I really think a fair amount of the gains came from the combustion chamber changes. The flow test took place where they build 50 to 100 k engines and the guy doing the testing said he could see my thought process just by looking at the heads.

I see that you are very capable and I'm in no position to give advice but try to give yourself a little additional margin in the throat area. IE keep the throat size as close to 90 percent as possible.
Thank you. I'm curious how much material you took out of the short side radius. Do you have access to a sonic tester? When I finish the one chamber I've been working on I'll sonic test it, and the non ported port to see where I'm at. I have concern with breaking through lol.

Look good Mike, just curious did they use a test pipe on exh. side, also don't happen to have runner volumes do you?Just curious as I have my engine apart and getting ready to buy some new heads for mine and thinking of going different route than champions.Thanks in advance.

I would assume the test took place just as picture (was not present during testing). I wouldn't overthink the heads.....Champions are proven and the irons that Nick has introduced will probably be apples to apples.

This head thing for me became a quest in my spare time just to see how they would stack up to others.

Thank you. I'm curious how much material you took out of the short side radius. Do you have access to a sonic tester? When I finish the one chamber I've been working on I'll sonic test it, and the non ported port to see where I'm at. I have concern with breaking through lol.

God only knows how much material is left. I can say that the heads have been run twice with no issues and this time little if any material was removed from the short side. Most of the time was spent on the roof, pockets and chambers.

Your heads look really nice and am sure they will perform great, but flow numbers are meaningless unless there is a comparison with various heads on the same flow bench and operator?

The flow numbers below were done in 2000 on a set of our max ported iron heads with new and larger valves. The same max ported head was flowed last month on a different machine and operator, and maxed out at 20 CFM less?

I am here not to bash your thread, but to point out that head flow numbers are not an absolute value as they vary depending on many factors.

HEAD FLOW.jpg

God only knows how much material is left. I can say that the heads have been run twice with no issues and this time little if any material was removed from the short side. Most of the time was spent on the roof, pockets and chambers.

Mike I agree 100%, leave the short side alone and just clean it up, as this is also applicable to the alum turbo heads we port.

Attachments

• HEAD FLOW.jpg
    HEAD FLOW.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 83
So let me ask this.
What is the advantage to going to the TA heads vs the ported irons?

Are the TAs more of a fast burn design than the stock irons? What are the flow numbers compared to the worked iron heads?

You have to be quickly approaching the same cost for a set of aluminum heads vs the number of hours you have worked on the irons.

I understand the weight savings and that aluminum is more forgiving than a hot iron head in tuning.

Just throwing out a what if.....

Thx