Intercooler Question

godwingn87

I just bought a Duttneck for my stock intercooler ... I have a friend who has the stock TTA intercooler ... I was told that they were better and were the same as the GNX one... My question is: are they better? The reason for the post is that my buddy is changing to a front mount and he said he would trade me if it would be an improvement being he doesn't need it anymore... I looked at his and it looks the same to me but even if it's a little better I have nothing to lose putting the duttneck on that one.. I would also like to ask how you determine the difference between the two? If it is a good idea to use it I want to make sure it is the right one Thanks!
Edit/Delete Message

Yes, they used the same intercooler on the TTA as they did on the GNX. It has more fins per square inch than a stock 86-87 IC does. Exactly how much hp you will pickup is a grey area, but it should be good for 5-10 more. If I had to pick one to do the Dutt kneck on, it would be the TTA IC for sure. There are people who have run deep into the 10s with one of these intercoolers and the neck will only help it. It's not the best in the world, but if it's free and or you only have to give up your stocker, then by all means, yes, get it.
HTH

Patrick

Yes, they used the same intercooler on the TTA as they did on the GNX. It has more fins per square inch than a stock 86-87 IC does. Exactly how much hp you will pickup is a grey area, but it should be good for 5-10 more. If I had to pick one to do the Dutt kneck on, it would be the TTA IC for sure. There are people who have run deep into the 10s with one of these intercoolers and the neck will only help it. It's not the best in the world, but if it's free and or you only have to give up your stocker, then by all means, yes, get it.
HTH

Patrick

Interesting 411... Patrick do they have the same external measurements ??? Identical ?? :confused:

From what I can remember, I'm about 99% sure that they used the exact same IC. Someone on here's gotta know for certain tho. I have seen them bolt up the same on an 86-87 Turbo Regal tho.

Patrick

They are a 100% direct bolt in & The only change is the fin count of the core. I've been trying to get my hands on 1 for a long time, good score. :)