intercooler question

daverr

is there a difference between stock and aftermarket intercooler(front mount).Im thinking of buying a grand national i just looked at.I noticed the car had a stock intercooler on it.I asked the owner why he didnt upgrade to a aftermarket IC ,he said there is not much difference between the two.what`s your guys opinions about this???the car has a t-67 turbo on it.He claims the car makes 500 hp.

I could be wrong- but, I don't think you can push enough air through a completely stock intercooler to support 500 hp. If you could: it would be with massive turbo lag, and not very cool(low efficiency). If he was running with that turbo and the stock intercooler, he robbed himself of alot of performance. Maybe he sold the intercooler separately when he decided to get rid of the car? If the car's nice, and the price is right- don't pass it up for the intercooler. Go over it really close though. Anyone that thinks intercoolers don't make much difference, doesn't know much about forced induction, and may have seriously screwed something up. :cool:

Alky helps alot if using the stock IC. The stock IC is as good as an aftermarket when running lower boost levels, like 17# and below. Remember the higher the boost, the higher the charge temps will be, so the bigger the IC, the lower those charge temps will be when running higher boost levels, say 20#+ the bigger IC comes into action. He probably wanted to run fast with as few $$ as possible so he went straight for the bigger turbo.
Did he get a higher stall convertor??
I wouldn't pass on the car because of that, just look very closely for any problems and you know what your first mod will be when you get the car :)

Make sure he upgraded the fuel pump and injectors with that turbo...if not, there may be some other things to look at and issues to investigate.

On the five or so cars I'm familiar with in my area that went from a stock or stock/big neck intercooler to a CAS V2, PTE, or Cotton's frontmount, they all picked up about .5 seconds and 5 mph in the 1/4 mile. The quickest was already running 11.70's and dropped to 11.20's, I was running 13.30's and dropped to 12.50's. I'm a real believer in the frontmounts and I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three (for really fast low 10 sec cars Cottons is probably just a hair better than the PTE and the V2 is .1 or so behind based loosely on anecdotal edvidence :)). Tony DeQuick of CAS said when he brought out his V4 stock location unit that the best stock location intercooler was still going to be only about 60% of a good frontmount. In the 1/8th mile or short blasts where the intercooler is mostly acting like a heat sink they perform fairly close, but in the 1/4 mile the frontmount really wins over the last half because it just gets way more airflow through it. It also cools down much, much quicker between passes. Yes you have to do some work on the cooling system but I've been running my V2 since 1997 or so with no problems.