Intercooler mod

jburnsinnj

I just installed a Duttweiller Neck on my stock intercooler. I understand this will increase boost about 2 psi over stock setup. Now do i have to adjust anything to reduce the boost pressure back to stock to avoid detonation/knock.

I understand that this mod allows the turbo to not have to work as hard getting air through but I am concerned about the higher boost causing knock . Can someone explain what i need to do now ?

The car has all stock components including the original chip but does have the following - fuel pump hotwire set up and Walbro fuel pump and adjustable f/p regulator, K&N Air filter in stock location.

I would add a boost gauge and scanmaster to keep an eye on things before you get on it anymore. Do you want to keep the car fairly stock? If not i highly recommend an alky kit and turbotweak chip.

I have a boost gauge and a computer analyzer (OTC) but will the increased boost hurt anything. I think I remember someone saying to add an adjustable wastegate lever to adjust the boost but I don't know what the stock boost should be. Will a turbotweak chip adjust the boost instead of the adjustable lever?

Do you have a scanmaster? If not get one so you can monitor knock. I'd get that and also an adjustable wastegate. The stock boost is around 16 pounds. The turbotweak chip will just add in your tuning capabilities but doesn't have anything to do with adjusting boost. What i would do first if i was you is read and search this forum ALOT before you start messing around with your car or you could be like me and learn the hard way and go through a motor.

I bought a dutt neck about a year ago and never installed it can anyone verify any noticable performance gains, ie: how many more pounds of boost I can add,I am in the market for a razor alcohol kit and my mechanic seems to feel that I shouldnt waste my time with the dutt neck,also I am running TA-60,and yes I have scan master and TT chip,Thanks Jay

The Dutweiller part decreases the bottleneck and sharp turn at the intercooler. You are able to push more volume at that point (the 90).

It makes the stock system more efficient. It's like taking the kink out of the beginning of a garden hose. Pressure decreases at the originating point allowing you to turn it up to compensate for the better flow. So if you are running 15 psi, change the neck, now you see 13ish. Turn it back up to 15 to use the flow.

I may heve just confused myself, but I think you get the point.

I went from a stock neck IC to a Dutt neck IC. I picked up 2 psi on my boost gauge. I don't have any track times or any dyno slips to confirm if that 2 psi made any difference or not.

There was a thread on the other board with people claiming .2-.5 gains in track times. Can't remember what the combos were though.