Intercooled guys with the throttle body re-located…

I had a question.

How were you able to mount the turbo over the motor without heating up the piping? Wouldn't that kind of be working against the intercooler?

Well, Saladin........................that is the outlet side of the turbo so if the piping gets a little "heat soaked" it is ok becasue it is pre Intercooled piping. That pipe goes down to the IC through it, then into the intake manifold.

Ahhh ok!

I was sitting there for a sec wondering how the heck that worked!!

Thanks for the information. All this is just solidifying my plans...

And don't be surprised when I come back with more questions. ;)

Ran the car today @ 15 pounds of boost, pulls pretty good. I had to have the trans rebuilt, but it shifts awesome now.. :cool: Now the turbo is blowing oil :(

There is another option on the table too.
It is relatively easy to do a JS Mfg style conversion using
and 86/87 intake and a modified upper plenum.
I plan to have my 85 conversion car at BG if anybody
wants to look and I may have a plenum and intake
setup ready to bolt on for sale as well.

Here's some pics...

Cost was about $400 for the whole thing. Prob going to sell a lot of it.

I posted early on in this thread that I went the 86/87 route
Pictures are there
Here is the new full blown 87 setup including Cotton's front mount:smile:
The smallest restriction is the 62 mm throttle body!
I went this way because it a proven setup
I'm not knocking anyone here do your thing!
Just after 3 setups I'm tired of cutting my own trail
This setup is bad ass see my sig
Got a few $$$ in her
Still have the hot air motor and plan on freshing her up
with new 201/201 roller cam, 885 lifters she will be my spare.

Attachments

• r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 253
  • r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 245
Oh must have forgot :D . Do you still have the piping ??

I'm not sure if you were asking me, if not, just ignore this post. I haven't decided for sure to sell. If I do, it will be intake manifold, 62mmTB, piping, t-bolt clamps, silicone hoses, both billet 62mm inlet bells.

What I'm not selling is the IC itself and the first length of pipe that comes out of the inlet/outlet of the intercooler. You would probably be better off finding a frontmount intercooler cheap and making up the last runs of pipe to it. I'm running the Ford Powerstroke intercooler and it was very labor intensive to install, lots of cutting on the car, and the pipe going to/from it won't fit any other intercooler.

Keep in mind, I never intended on selling this stuff so while it's very functional, I would've cleaned up the welds and ports a little better had I known I might've sold it one day.

One other thing, I would highly suggest ported stock heads at a minimum with this intake. The ports are matched to the Felpro1200 gasket all the way up. I had to weld up to 3/8" of metal to some of the ports to get them this big. They're probably better suited to the GN1 aluminum heads.

OK guys finally got some "T" time tonight and trying to figure out wether or not to do this. Hope someone can help, lol. If you go back through this thread you can see how my turbo is mounted in my setup. What I am wondering is if there is enough "drainback" from the pass. side head to run my return from my turbo to. I will probably have a 10an fitting welded to the front lower part of the cover. What do you guys think. I don't want to chance anything here this is alot of money and time I have invested in this thing in the past 3 months and don't want to risk not getting enough oil return from the turbo. Original idea was to run the return to the oil pan and weld a fitting onto it, but it doesn't look like there is enough "meat" there to do it. Any ideas?? Comments??

dee

I'm not sure if you were asking me, if not, just ignore this post. I haven't decided for sure to sell. If I do, it will be intake manifold, 62mmTB, piping, t-bolt clamps, silicone hoses, both billet 62mm inlet bells.

What I'm not selling is the IC itself and the first length of pipe that comes out of the inlet/outlet of the intercooler. You would probably be better off finding a frontmount intercooler cheap and making up the last runs of pipe to it. I'm running the Ford Powerstroke intercooler and it was very labor intensive to install, lots of cutting on the car, and the pipe going to/from it won't fit any other intercooler.

Keep in mind, I never intended on selling this stuff so while it's very functional, I would've cleaned up the welds and ports a little better had I known I might've sold it one day.

One other thing, I would highly suggest ported stock heads at a minimum with this intake. The ports are matched to the Felpro1200 gasket all the way up. I had to weld up to 3/8" of metal to some of the ports to get them this big. They're probably better suited to the GN1 aluminum heads.

Yes that was to u cool. I see ..... well good to know

OK guys finally got some "T" time tonight and trying to figure out wether or not to do this. Hope someone can help, lol. If you go back through this thread you can see how my turbo is mounted in my setup. What I am wondering is if there is enough "drainback" from the pass. side head to run my return from my turbo to. I will probably have a 10an fitting welded to the front lower part of the cover. What do you guys think. I don't want to chance anything here this is alot of money and time I have invested in this thing in the past 3 months and don't want to risk not getting enough oil return from the turbo. Original idea was to run the return to the oil pan and weld a fitting onto it, but it doesn't look like there is enough "meat" there to do it. Any ideas?? Comments??

dee

anything??? lol

anything??? lol

Your turbo looks too low to tap into the valvecover. Front cover would work. You may end up with valvecover leaks with the turbo draining there. Lots of oil flows through it compared to the valvetrain.

Well I know alot of oil flows through it was just wondering if I would have a problem with the head getting backup and like you said have valve cover leakage. Thanks for replying.

Intercooler on setup my 85GN

Gents,

Here is a pic of my 85 with my intercooler setup. Very expensive but well worth it!

Chris

Attachments

• P42100181.JPG
    P42100181.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 307